- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Estimation Procedure of Concrete Compressive Strength Based on the In-Situ Nondestructive Tests Result of the Existing Bridges
공용중 교량 비파괴시험 결과에 기반한 경험적 콘크리트 압축강도 추정방법의 제안
- Received : 2016.03.23
- Accepted : 2016.04.20
- Published : 2016.07.01
Rebound hammer test, SonReb method and concrete core test are most useful testing methods for estimate the concrete compressive strength of deteriorated concrete structures. But the accuracy of the NDE results on the existing structures could be reduced by the effects of the uncertainty of nondestructive test methods, material effects by aging and carbonation, and mechanical damage by drilling of core. In this study, empirical procedure for verifying the in-situ compressive strength of concrete is suggested through the probabilistic analysis on the 268 data of rebound and ultra-pulse velocity and core strengths obtained from 106 bridges. To enhance the accuracy of predicted concrete strength, the coefficients of core strength, and surface hardness caused by ageing or carbonation was adopted. From the results, the proposed equation by KISTEC and the estimation procedures proposed by authors is reliable than previously suggested equation and correction coefficient.
Age;Carbonation;Correction coefficient;Rebound hammer method;SonReb method
- ACI Committee 214.4-03 (2013), Guide for Obtaining Cores and Interpreting Compressive Strength Results, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan, 16pp.
- ACI Committee 318 (2005), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete(ACI 318-05) and commentary. American Concrete Institute.
- AIJ (1983), Manual of Nondestructive Tests Methods for the Evaluation of Concrete Strength, Architectural Institute of Japan.
- Breccolotti, M., Bonfigli, M. F., and Materazzi, A. L. (2013), Influence of Carbonation Depth on Concrete Strength Evaluation Carried Out using the SonReb Method. NDT & E International, 59, 96-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2013.06.002
- Chang, C. F., and Chen, J. W. (2006), The Experimental Investigation of Concrete Carbonation Depth, Cement and Concrete Research, 36(9), 1760-1767. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.07.025
- Del Rio, L. M., Jimenez, A., Lopez, F., Rosa, F. J., Rufo, M. M., and Paniagua, J. M. (2004), Characterization and Hardening of Concrete with Ultrasonic Testing, Ultrasonics, 42(1), 527-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2004.01.053
- Fiore, A., Porco, F., Uva, G., and Mezzina, M. (2013), On the Dispersion of Data Collected by in Situ Diagnostic of the Existing Concrete, Construction and Building Materials, 47, 208-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.05.001
- Japan Society for Testing and Materials (1958), Guideline for Evaluation of Compressive Strength of Concrete by Schmidt Hammer(draft), Material Testing, 7-59, 426-430(in Japan). https://doi.org/10.2472/jsms1952.7.426
- Jerga, J. (2004), Physico-mechanical Properties of Carbonated Concrete, Construction and Building Materials, 18(9), 645-652. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2004.04.029
- KCI (2012), Concrete Structural Design Code, Korea Concrete Institute.
- Kheder, G. F. (1999), A Two Stage Procedure for Assessment of in Situ Concrete Strength using Combined Non-Destructive Testing, Materials and Structures, 32(6), 410-417. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02482712
- Khoury, S., Aliabdo, A. A. H., and Ghazy, A. (2014), Reliability of Core Test-Critical Assessment and Proposed New Approach, Alexandria Engineering Journal, 53(1), 169-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2013.12.005
- Kim, J.-K., Kim, C.-Y., Yi, S.-T., and Lee, Y. (2009), Effect of Carbonation on the Rebound Number and Compressive Strength of Concrete, Cement and Concrete Composite, 31, 139-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2008.10.001
- Kim, M. W., Oh, H., and Oh, K. C. (2016), Estimating the Compressive Strength of High-Strength Concrete Using Surface Rebound Value and Ultrasonic Velocity, Journal of KSMI, 20(2), 1-9.
- Kim, H. K., and Kim, S. B. (2010), Service Life Prediction and Carbonation of Bridge Structures According to the Environmental Conditions, Journal of KSMI, 14(4), 126-32.
- Kim, M. S., Yun, Y. H., Kim, J. K., Kwon, Y. W., and Lee, S. S. (2002), Estimation of Aging Effects on Determination of Compressive Strength of Concrete by Non-Destructive Tests, J Korea Concr Inst, 14(5), 782-8. https://doi.org/10.4334/JKCI.2002.14.5.782
- KISTEC (2012), 3rd Master Plan for Safety and Maintenance of Infrastructures, KISTEC.
- KISTEC (2014), A Development of Strength Estimation Technique for the High Strength Concrete.
- Korea Research Institute of Standards and Science (1999), Standardization for Concrete Compressive Strength Estimation Equation by Experiment for Specimen and Wall Type Structure, Research Report(in Korean).
- Lee, C. S., Seol, J. S., and Yoon, I. S. (2000), Current Status on Durability of 140 RC Bridges in Seoul Metropolitan Area, Journal of KSMI, 4(3),161-168.
- Lee, Y. J., Kim, Y. H., and Lee, Y. Y. (2003), Current Status on the Chloride and Carbonation of Train Structures in the East, Journal of KSMI, 7(1), 259-266.
- Lim, H. B., Park, C. H., and Shin, J. I. (2004), Current Status on the Carbonation of Highway Bridges, Conference proceeding of KSCE, 3677-3682.
- LNEC E-465 (2005), Concrete Prescriptive Methodology to Estimate Concrete Properties to Achieve the Design Service Life Under Environment Conditions XC or XS., National Laboratory of Civiel Engineering, Lisbone, Portugal.
- Monteiro, I., Branco, F. A., De Brito, J., and Neves, R. (2012), Statistical Analysis of the Carbonation Coefficient in Open Air Concrete Structures, Construction and Building Materials, 29, 263-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.10.028
- RILEM CNDT-Committee (1980), RILEM Tentative Recommendations for In-situ Concrete Strength Determination by Non-Destructive Combined Methods(First draft), May, 1980.
- Szilagyi, K., Borosnyoi, A., and Zsigovics, I. (2014), Extensive Statistical Analysis of the Variability of Concrete Rebound Hardness Based on a Large Database of 60years Experience, Construction and Building Materials, 53, 333-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.11.113
- Tanigawa, Y., Baba, K., and Mori, H., (1984), Estimation of Concrete Strength by Combined Nondestructive Testing Method, ACI Journal, 82, 57-76.
- Tuutti, K. (1982), Corrosion of Steel in Concrete : CBI Research 4, Swedish Cement and Concrete Research Institute, Stockholm, p82.
- Comparison Study on Nondestructive Strength Equation Based on Probability for Bridges vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2018.20.3.039
Supported by : 경남과학기술대학교