- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Development and Validation of Memory Tasks Using Smart Devices for School Aged Children
학령기 아동용 스마트기기를 사용한 기억력 평가과제의 개발 및 타당도 검증 연구
- Shin, Min-Sup ;
- Lee, Jinjoo ;
- Eo, Yunjung ;
- Oh, Seojin ;
- Lee, Jungeun ;
- Kim, Illjung ;
- Hong, Chorong
- Received : 2015.12.31
- Accepted : 2016.05.09
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The aim of this study was to develop auditory-verbal and visual-spatial memory tasks using smart devices for children aged 8 to 10 years and examine their validity. Methods: One-hundred and fourteen school-aged children were recruited through internet advertising. We developed memory tasks assessing auditory-verbal memory, visual-spatial memory, and working memory, and then examined their construct validity by examining the developmental trend of the children's mean scores with age. In order to examine the concurrent validity of the tasks, we conducted correlation analyses between the children's scores on the newly developed auditory-verbal, visual-spatial memory and working memory tasks and their scores on well-known standardized tests of memory and working memory, including the auditory-verbal memory subtests of the Korean Luria-Nebraska Neuropsychological Battery for Children, Korean Rey-Osterrieth Complex Figure Test, digit span and arithmetic subtest of Korean Educational Development Institute Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children Revised, and Corsi block test. Results: The memory and working memory scores measured by the newly developed tasks tended to increase with age. Further, there were significant correlations between the scores of the four cognitive tasks and the corresponding scores of the standardized assessment tools. Conclusion: This study revealed promising evidence for the validity of the memory tasks using smart devices, suggesting their utility for school-aged children in research and clinical settings.
Computerized Cognitive Task;Auditory-Verbal Memory;Visual-Spatial Memory;Auditory-Verbal Working Memory;Visual-Spatial Working Memory
- Delis DC, Kramer JH, Kaplan E, Ober BA. The California verbal learning test-second edition (CVLT-II). San Antonio: Psychological Coporation;1994.
- August GJ. Production deficiencies in free recall: a comparison of hyperactive, learning-disabled, and normal children. J Abnorm Child Psychol 1987;15:429-440. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00916459
- Rourke BP, Ahmad SA, Collins DW, Hayman-Abello BA, Hayman-Abello SE, Warriner EM. Child clinical/pediatric neuropsychology: some recent advances. Annu Rev Psychol 2002;53:309-339. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.53.100901.135204
- Gathercole SE, Baddeley AD. The children's test of nonword repetition. San Diego: Psychological Corporation;1996.
- Isaacs EB, Vargha-Khadem F. Differential course of development of spatial and verbal memory span: a normative study. Br J Dev Psychol 1989;7:377-380. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-835X.1989.tb00814.x
- Moely BE, Olson FA, Halwes TG, Flavell JH. Production deficiency in young children's clustered recall. Dev Psychol 1969;1:26-34. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0026804
- Shin MS. Standardization study for the Korean version of the Luria-Nebraska Neuropsychological Battery for Children I: scale construction, reliability & norms for the Korean version of LNNB-C. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 1994;5:54-69.
- Shin MS, Koo HJ, Kim SK. Korean developmental scoring system for the rey-osterrieth complex figure. Seoul: Mindpress;2009.
- Park K. KEDI-WISC manual. Seoul: Korean Educational Institute; 1991.
- Berch DB, Krikorian R, Huha EM. The Corsi block-tapping task: methodological and theoretical considerations. Brain Cogn 1998;38:317-338. https://doi.org/10.1006/brcg.1998.1039
- Shin MS, Lee J, Oh S, Kim I, Hong C, Kim S. Development and validation of computerized attention tasks using smart devices for preschool aged children. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2015;26:104-111. https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2015.26.2.104
- Karapetsas A, Kantas A. Visuomotor organization in the child: a neuropsychological approach. Percept Mot Skills 1991;72:211-217. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19188.8.131.52
- A Preliminary Study of Computerized Cognitive Ability Enhancement Program Using Smart-Toy for Children vol.28, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2017.28.2.106
Grant : 완구산업 활성화를 위한 스마트 ToyWeb 서비스 기술개발
Supported by : 산업통상자원부