- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Diagnostic Distribution of Psychiatric Disorders among the Population Under 19 Years Old: Based on the National Insurance Data
19세 미만 인구의 정신장애 진단 분포: 국민건강보험 자료를 중심으로
- Received : 2016.06.06
- Accepted : 2016.06.16
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: As a preliminary study on the prevalence of mental disorders in Korean children and adolescents, we investigated the diagnosis distribution of mental disorders in people under 19 years of age using the health insurance data. Methods: From the 2011 health insurance data of 1,375,842 people, the data of 286,465 people under 19 years old were extracted. Among them, we selected 10,778 with psychiatric diagnoses; male 6,453 (59.9%) and female 4,325 (40.1%). The frequency of psychiatric diagnoses in the males was 10,140 (62.7%) cases, which was significantly higher than that (6,031; 37.3%) in the females. We categorized the groups into 3 year intervals. Results: In the males under 3 years old, F80 was the most prevalent diagnosis, followed by F98. F90 and F41 were the most prevalent in the 4-15 and above 16 years old groups, respectively. In the females, F98 was the most prevalent in the children up to 3 years old, while F80 was the second most prevalent. In the 4-6 years of age group, F98 was the most prevalent, followed by F93. F90 and F41 were predominant in the 7-12 and above 12 years old groups, respectively. Conclusion: In the analysis of the frequency of diagnosis of mental disorders in the population under 19 years old, there were significant differences in the distribution based on age and gender.
Treatment;Prevalence;Child;Adolescent;Psychiatric Diagnosis;National Insurance
- Kim R, Kwon H, Lee YH, Yook KH, Song J, Song MA, et al. Risky behavior subtypes and suicide attempts in adolescents with depression. J Korean Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2015;26:149-158. https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2015.26.3.149
- Bahn GH, Ryu JE, Lee YJ, Han J, Lee A, Hong M. When is the endpoint of the adolescence? Psychoanalysis 2015;26:3-17.
- National Health Insurance Service. National Health Screening Statistical Yearbook 2014 [cited 2016 May 25]. Available from URL: http://khiss.co.kr/board/bbs_read.jsp?tname=MINBOARD358&bbsid=B301&cat_bbsid=B307&bbs_seq=422&jkey=&jword=&pg=1&htxt_code=13789506829741518083358661986895&wj_vcs=&reverseNum=6&forwardNum=6.
- Ministry of Education. Reported case. Results of child problem-behavior screening and adolescent mental health and problem behavior screening 2013 [cited 2016 May 25]. Available from URL: http://www.moe.go.kr/web/100026/ko/board/view.do?bbsId=294&pageSize=10& currentPage=8&encodeYn=Y&boardSeq=50575&mode=view.
- Statistics Korea. Annual report on the cause of death statistics 2001-2013 [cited 2016 May 24]. Available from URL: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/6/2/index.board.
- Chung HJ. Developmental disabilities in children. Korean J Pediatr 2004;47:131-139.
- Ahn DH. Mental disorders in adolescents. J Korean Med Assoc 2009;52:745-757. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2009.52.8.745
- Kim L, Kim JA, Kim S. A guide for the utilization of health insurance review and assessment service national patient samples. Epidemiol health 2014;36:e2014008.
- Hong M, Kwack YS, Joung YS, Lee SI, Kim B, Sohn SH, et al. Nationwide rate of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder diagnosis and pharmacotherapy in Korea in 2008-2011. Asia Pac Psychiatry 2014;6:379-385.
- Polanczyk GV, Salum GA, Sugaya LS, Caye A, Rohde LA. Annual research review: a meta-analysis of the worldwide prevalence of mental disorders in children and adolescents. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2015;56:345-365. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcpp.12381
- Lee YJ, Bahn GH, Han J, Hong M. Prevalence of treated psychiatric disorders in Korean child and adolescent patients in 2012. San Antonio: Annual Meeting of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry;2015.
- Chien IC, Chou YJ, Lin CH, Bih SH, Chou P. Prevalence of psychiatric disorders among National Health Insurance enrollees in Taiwan. Psychiatr Serv 2004;55:691-697. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.55.6.691
- Huang CL, Chu CC, Cheng TJ, Weng SF. Epidemiology of treated attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) across the lifespan in Taiwan: a nationwide population-based longitudinal study. PLoS One 2014;9:e95014. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0095014
- Chien IC, Lin CH, Chou YJ, Chou P. Prevalence and incidence of autism spectrum disorders among national health insurance enrollees in Taiwan from 1996 to 2005. J Child Neurol 2011;26:830-834. https://doi.org/10.1177/0883073810393964
- Ford T, Goodman R, Meltzer H. The British Child and Adolescent Mental Health Survey 1999: the prevalence of DSM-IV disorders. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 2003;42:1203-1211. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-200310000-00011
- Kessler RC, Avenevoli S, Costello EJ, Georgiades K, Green JG, Gruber MJ, et al. Prevalence, persistence, and sociodemographic correlates of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication Adolescent Supplement. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2012;69:372-380. https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.160
- Hong M, Kim B, Hwang JW, Bhang SY, Choi HY, Oh IH, et al. Naturalistic pharmacotherapy compliance among pediatric patients with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a study based on three-year nationwide data. J Korean Med Sci 2016;31:611-616. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2016.31.4.611
- Rutter M, Kim-Cohen J, Maughan B. Continuities and discontinuities in psychopathology between childhood and adult life. J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2006;47:276-295. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7610.2006.01614.x
- Leckman JF, Zhang H, Vitale A, Lahnin F, Lynch K, Bondi C, et al. Course of tic severity in Tourette syndrome: the first two decades. Pediatrics 1998;102(1 Pt 1):14-19. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.102.1.14
- The Revised Korean Practice Parameter for the Treatment of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (III) - Pharmacological Treatment - vol.28, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5765/jkacap.2017.28.2.70
- Prescription Trends of Psychotropics in Children and Adolescents with Autism Based on Nationwide Health Insurance Data vol.32, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2017.32.10.1687
- Incidence and Comorbidity of Reactive Attachment Disorder: Based on National Health Insurance Claims Data, 2010–2012 in Korea vol.15, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.30773/pi.2017.11.01
Supported by : 정신건강기술개발사업단