- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Differences of Upgrading Nurse Staffing in Nursing Care Activity, Work Performance Outcomes, and Job Satisfaction
간호등급 상향에 따른 직접간호활동, 간호업무성과와 직무만족 비교
- Received : 2016.02.16
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
Purpose: This study examined differences in nursing care activity, work performance outcomes, and job satisfaction associated with upgrading nurse staffing of a nurse-to-patients ratio. Methods: Descriptive design was used in this study. In total, 148 medical and surgical nurses were recruited from one university hospital. Three instruments were used for data collection: Scale of Nursing Care Activity, Nurses' Work Performance Outcome Measurement Scale and Nurses' Job Satisfaction Scale. Data were analyzed by using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, and paired t-test. Results: There were significant differences in nursing care activity (t=-5.06, p<.001), in work performance outcomes (t=-5.46, p<.001) and in job satisfaction (t=4.61, p<.001) when the grading for the nursing staff was changed from three to two indicating increasing number of nurses. Conclusion: The findings from this study showed that there were more nursing care activities, better work performance outcomes, and higher job satisfaction when numbers of nurses were increased. The changes in the scale to evaluate nursing staff influence nursing activities, work performance and job satisfaction.
Nurse staffing;Nursing care activity;Work performance outcome;Job satisfaction
- Stone PW, Pogorzelska M, Kunches L, Hirschhorn LR. Hospital staffing and health care- associated infections: a systematic review of the literature. Clinical Infectious Disease. 2008;47(7):937-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1086/591696 https://doi.org/10.1086/591696
- Aiken LH, Clarke SP, Cheung RB, Sloane DM, Silber JH. Educational levels of hospital nurses and surgical patient mortality. Journal of American Medical Association. 2003;290(12):1617-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.12.1617 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.290.12.1617
- Song CS, Seo MS, Nam SM, Park SH, Oh MS, Han KH, et al. Patient satisfaction related to increased nursing personnel staffing. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Home Care Nursing. 2009;16(2):115-22.
- You SJ, Kim HJ, Park BH, Jang HS, Park JA. Development of a inpatient health care service model for job creation. Health Care Policy Report. Cheongju: Korean Health Industry Development Institute; 2006 December. Report No.: A061012.
- Kim YM, Kim JY, June KJ, Ham EO. Changing trend in grade of nursing management fee by hospital characteristics: 2008-2010. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2010;16(3):99-109.
- Unruh LY, Hassmiller SB, Reinhard SC. The importance and challenge of paying for quality nursing care. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice. 2008;9(2):68-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1527154408320046 https://doi.org/10.1177/1527154408320046
- Kim JK, Park SA. A study of the job satisfaction of clinical nurses related to nurse staffing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2003;9(4):529-39.
- Cho SH, June KJ, Kim YM, Park BH. Change in hospital nurse after implementing differentiated inpatient nursing fees by staffing grades. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2008;14(2):167-75.
- Park SH. Analysis of direct nursing activity and patient outcomes related to graded fee of nursing management for inpatient. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2003;33(1):122-9. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.1.122
- Ko YK, Lee TW, Lim JY. Development of performance measurement scale for hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2007:37(3):286-94. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.3.286
- Kang IW. A study on the patient satisfaction for nursing care in a general hospital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 1997;3(2):137-50.
- Cho KH. The influence of self leadership about job satisfaction and outcome of nursing practice. [master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University; 2003.
- Slavitt CB, Stamp PI., Piedmonte ER, Haase AMB. Nurses’ satisfaction with their work situation. Nursing Research. 1978;27(2):114-20.
- Yoon SH. A model for organizational effectiveness in nursing unit. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2002;8(3):457-74.
- Park JO, Kim HY, Roh GS, Roh YD, Park MB, So JE, et al. Comparison of nursing activity time according to the change in grade of nursing management fee in one university hospital. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2010;16(1):95-105.
- Hugonnet S, Villaveces A, Pittet D. Nurse staffing level and nosocomial infection: empirical evaluation of the case-crossover and case-time-control designs. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2007;165(11):1321-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm041 https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwm041
- John RE. Airway management. Critical Care Nurse. 2004;24(2):93-6.
- Sohng KY, Park HS, Hong YH, Lee KY, Chaung SK, Cho BH, et al. Fundamentals of nursing. Revised ed. Paju: Soomoonsa; 2014. p. 373-407.
- Ko YK, Kim BJ. An analysis of nurse staffing level and nursing performance in the general unit. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2008;14(4):413-20.
- Ha NS, Choi J. An analysis of nursing competency affecting on job satisfaction and nursing performance among clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2010;16(3):286-94. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.3.286
- Sheward L, Hunt J, Hagen S, Macleod M, Ball J. The relationship between UK hospital nurse staffing and emotional exhaustion and job dissatisfaction. Journal of Nursing Management. 2005;13(1):51-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2004.00460.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2834.2004.00460.x
- Kim MH. A study of relation between grade of nurse staffing and nursing practice, nurse's job satisfaction and customer-orientation. [master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University; 2008.
- Brooks JA. Postoperative nosocomial pneumonia: nurse-sensitive interventions. Advanced Practice in Acute & Critical Care. 2001;12(2):305-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/00044067-200105000-00013
- Needleman J, Buerhaus P, Mattke S, Stewart M, Zelevinsky K. Nurse staffing levels and quality of care in hospitals. New England Journal of Medicine. 2002;346(22):1715-22. http://dx.doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa012247 https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa012247
- Kim JK. Job satisfaction and patient satisfaction related to nurse staffing. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2007;13(1):98-108.
- Yun SG, Park JY, Kim KH, Han CH. Evaluation on the performance of nursing in according to the nursing grade of hospitals. Korean Journal of Hospital Management. 2010;15(3):1-16.
- Lee MK, Jung DY. A study of nursing tasks, nurses job stress and job satisfaction in hospitals with no guardians. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2015;20(3):287-96.
- Park KN, Park MK. A study on nurse's self-leadership, organizational commitment and the nursing performance. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2008;14(1):63-71.
- Sung MH, Kim HW, Kim JW. A comparative study on job stress and job satisfaction between preceptors and preceptees. Korean Journal of Health Promotion. 2007;7(2):131-8.
- Ryoo EN, Sang HY, Jang EH, Seo HS, Choo YH, Kim IS, et al. A study on clinical performance and job satisfaction by preceptor experience. Journal of Chung-Ang Nursing. 2001;5(2):1-12.