- Volume 28 Issue 3
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify association between maternal depression and multiple contextual factors in 1,519 mothers in Korea who participated in the 2009 Panel Study of Korean Children (PSKC). Methods: The second wave data which was a comprehensive longitudinal data set with a nationally representative birth cohort was analyzed using SAS 9.3 software. Kessler depression scale was used for this study. Results: Of the mothers, 23.0% reported being mild to moderate depression and 4.5% of the mothers reported severe depression. The factors influencing maternal depression include; mother's self-efficacy, mother's marital conflict, mother's social support, infant's and toddler's emotionality, mother's smoking and infant's feeding & eating of daily routine. These variables explained 39.5% of maternal depression. Conclusion: The results of this study suggest that the identified factors for maternal depression should be included in an intervention program to reduce the risk of depression.
Maternal depression;Self-efficacy;Social support;Smoking
- World Health Organization. Fact sheet on depression. [Internet]. Geneva, CH: Author; 2012 [cited 2015 August 25]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs369/en/
- Kessler RC, Bromet EJ. The epidemiology of depression across cultures. Annual Review of Public Health. 2013;34:119-38. http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031912-114409 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031912-114409
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Seoul National University College of Medicine. The 2011 Epidemiology of Survey of Mental Disorders in Korea. 2011:1-439.
- Goodman SH, Rouse MH, Connell AM, Broth MR, Hall CM, Heyward D. Maternal depression and child psychopathology: a meta-analytic review. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review. 2011;14(1):1-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10567-010-0080-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10567-010-0080-1
- Surkan PJ, Kennedy CE, Hurley KM, Black MM. Maternal depression and early childhood growth in developing countries: systematic review and meta-analysis. Bull World Health Organ. 2011;89(8):607-15. http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/blt.11.088187 https://doi.org/10.2471/blt.11.088187
- Letourneau NL, Tramonte L, Willms JD. Maternal depression, family functioning and children's longitudinal development. Journal of Pediatric Nursing 2013;28(3):223-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2012.07.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2012.07.014
- Gaillard A, Le Strat Y, Mandelbrot L, Keïta H, Dubertret C. Predictors of postpartum depression: prospective study of 264 women followed during pregnancy and postpartum. Psychiatry Research. 2014;215(2):341-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2013.10.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2013.10.003
- Halbreich U, Karkun S. Cross-cultural and social diversity of prevalence of postpartum depression and depressive symptoms. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2006 4;91(2-3):97-111. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2005.12.051 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2005.12.051
- Klainin P, Arthur DG. Postpartum depression in Asian cultures: a literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2009;46(10):1355-73. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.02.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.02.012
- Mamun AA, Clavarino AM, Najman JM, Williams GM, O'Callaghan MJ, Bor W. Maternal depression and the quality of marital relationship: a 14-year prospective study. Journal of women's Health. 2009;18(12):2023-31. https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2008.1050
- Beck CT. Predictors of postpartum depression: an update. Nursing Research. 2001;50(5):275-85. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200109000-00004 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200109000-00004
- Saligheh M, Rooney RM, McNamara B, Kane RT. The relationship between postnatal depression, sociodemographic factors, levels of partner support, and levels of physical activity. Frontiers in Psychology. 2014. p. 5. http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00597 https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00597
- Leahy Warren P, McCarthy G, Corcoran P. First time mothers: social support, maternal parental self efficacy and postnatal depression. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2012;21(3-4):388-97. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03701.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2011.03701.x
- McGrath M, Lyng C, Hourican S. From the simulation lab to the sard: preparing 4th year nursing students for the role of staff nurse. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2012;8(7):e265-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2010.10.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2010.10.003
- Korea Institute of Child Care and Education. 2009 Korean Children Panel Study Tools Profile [Internet]. Seoul. Korea Institute of Child Care and Education; 2011 [cited 2015 August 25]. Available from: http://panel.kicce.re.kr/kor/publication/01_02.jsp?mode=view&idx=7135&startPage=20&listNo=2&code=paneltoolsprofiles&search_item=&search_order=&order_list=10&list_scale=10&view_level=0
- Kessler RC, Andrews G, Colpe LJ, Hiripi E, Mroczek DK, Normand S, et al. Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress. Psychological Medicine. 2002;32(06):959-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s0033291702006074 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291702006074
- Kessler RC, Galea S, Jones RT, Parker HA. Mental illness and suicidality after Hurricane Katrina. Bull World Health Organ. 2006;84(12):930-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.2471/blt.06.033011 https://doi.org/10.2471/BLT.06.033019
- Chun H, Ok K. Analyzing the relationships between changes in postpartum depression and child-rearing system variables in Korean mothers. Journal of Korean Home Management Association. 2011;29(6):153-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.7466/jkhma.2011.29.6.153 https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2011.29.6.153
- Bang K. Infants' temperament and health problems according to maternal postpartum depression. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2011;41(4):444-50. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.444 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.444
- Choi IA, Lee KS, Shin YJ, Park JA. Mental health of mothers and their infant depending on degree of mothers' pre- and post-natal depression. The Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology. 2012;25(3):125-48.
- Youn JH, Jeong IS. Predictors of postpartum depression: prospective cohort study. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2013;43(2):225-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.225 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.2.225
- Song JE. Influencing factors of postpartum depression between 4 to 6 weeks after childbirth in the postpartum women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2009;15(3):216-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.3.216 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.3.216
- Park C, Lee J. Analysis of factors affecting the change of depression of korean adult male and female. Health and Social Science. 2011;29(6);99-128.
- Chu JE, Lee H, Yoon CH, Cho HI, Hwang JY, Park YJ. Relationships between depressed mood and life style patterns in Koreans aged 40 years. Journal of The Korean Society of Food Science and Nutrition. 2014;43(5):772-83. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.5.772
- Delgado PL. Depression: the case for a monoamine deficiency. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2000;61(Suppl 6):7-11. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v61n0103
- Kang HK. Variables associated with depression in new mothers. Korean Journal of Child Education and Care. 2012;72(1):131-47.
- Yamamoto N, Abe Y, Arima K, Nishimura T, Akahoshi E, Oishi K, Aoyagi K. Mental health problems and influencing factors in Japanese women 4 months after delivery. Journal of Physiological Anthropology. 2014;33:32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1880-6805-33-32 https://doi.org/10.1186/1880-6805-33-32
- Akincigil A, Munch S, Niemczyk KC. Predictors of maternal depression in the first year postpartum: marital status and mediating role of relationship quality. Social Work in Health Care. 2010;49(3):227-44. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00981380903213055 https://doi.org/10.1080/00981380903213055
- Effects of Psychological, Parenting and Relational Characteristics of Mothers of Preschool Children on Their Depression Levels vol.29, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2018.29.4.393
Supported by : 충북대학교