- Volume 28 Issue 3
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to explore the meaning of the experience of adapting to the dietary treatment for hemodialysis patients. Methods: The data were collected through in-depth interviews of ten hemodialysis patients who have been dialyzed for longer than five months. Giorgi's phenomenological method was used for data analysis. Results: The findings included five constituents and 16 sub-constituents. The five constituents concerning diet therapy were: 'suffering', 'undergoing trial and error', 'understanding the need', 'finding alternatives', and 'realizing the meaning of dietary therapy.' Conclusion: The findings contribute to understanding the process of adapting to diet therapy. The results of this study may be utilized in assisting patients to understand the diet therapy process.
Diet therapy;Adaptation;Hemodialysis;Phenomenology;Renal replacement therapy
- Spiegel BM, Melmed G, Robbins S, Esrailian E. Biomarkers and health-related quality of life in end-stage renal disease: a systematic review. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2008;3(6):1759-68. http://dx.doi.org/10.2215/CJN.00820208 https://doi.org/10.2215/CJN.00820208
- The Korean Society of Nephrology 2015 [Internet]. Current renal replacement therapy in Korea. [cited 2016 January 18]. Available from: http://www.ksn.or.kr/journal/2015/index.html
- Lee SC, Choi SR, Kim BS, Yoon SY, Park SW, Kang SW, et al. Comparative study of renal replacement therapy in diabetic end stage renal disease patients: single center study. Yonsei Medical Journal. 2003;44(3):454-62. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2003.44.3.454
- Lee JJ, Kim JM, Kim YR. Association of diet-related quality of life with dietary regimen practice, health-related quality of life, and gastrointestinal symptom in end-stage renal disease patients with hemodialysis. Korean Journal of Nutrition. 2013;46(2):137-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2013.46.2.137 https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2013.46.2.137
- Cho MK, Choe MA. Self care behavior of hemodialysis patients. Korean Society of Biological Nursing Science. 2007;9(2):105-17.
- Suk YM, Park JW, Jeon MJ, Kim CY. Effect of periodic video education on knowledge about hemodialysis. Patient role behavior and the physiologic index in patients with hemodialysis. Journal of Korean Society Biological Nursing Science. 2013;15(3):122-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.3.122 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2013.15.3.122
- Ravel VA, Molnar MZ, Streja E, Kim JC, Victoroff A, Jing J, et al. Low protein nitrogen appearance as a surrogate of low dietary protein intake is associated with higher all-cause mortality in maintenance hemodialysis patients. The Journal of Nutrition. 2013;143(7):1084-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.3945/jn.112.169722 https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.112.169722
- Baines LS, Jindal RM. Non-compliance in patients receiving hemodialysis: an in-depth review. Nephron. 2000;85(1):1-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000045622 https://doi.org/10.1159/000045622
- Zimmerer JL, Leon JB, Covinsky KE, Desai U, Sehgal AR. Diet monotony as a correlate of poor nutritional intake among hemodialysis patients. Journal of Renal Nutrition. 2003;13(2):72-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/jren.2003.50025 https://doi.org/10.1053/jren.2003.50025
- Kim SY, Kim JD, Park AK, Koo JS. The effect of a video dietary instruction program for hemodialysis patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2014;20(1):134-45.
- Lee JJ, Kim JM, Kim YR. Association of diet-related quality of life with dietary regimen practice, health-related quality of life, and gastrointestinal symptoms in end-stage renal disease patients with hemodialysis. Korean Journal of Nutrition. 2013;46(2):137-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2013.46.2.137 https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2013.46.2.137
- Lee YJ, Lee YJ, Oh IH, Lee CH, Lee SS. Comparative study of serum levels of albumin and hs-CRP in hemodialysis patients according to protein intake levels. Journal of Nutrition and Health. 2013;46(6):521-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.6.521 https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2013.46.6.521
- Lee JY. A study on effectiveness of dietary self-efficacy, dietary knowledge and social support for exercise-diet compliance of patients on hemodialysis [masters thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2007.
- Giorgi A. The descriptive phenomenological method in psychology: a modified husserlian approach. Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania: Duquesne University Press. 2009.
- Guba EG., Lincoln YS. Effective evaluation: improving the usefulness of evaluation results through responsive and naturalistic approaches. 3rd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 1992.
- Denhaerynck K, Manhaeve D, Dobbels F, Nolte C, Degeest S. Prevalence and consequences of nonadherence to hemodialysis regimens. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care. 2007;16(3):222-35.
- Kim YM, Park YS, Jung YS, Choe MA. A study on the relationship among family support, self care implementation, and life satisfaction in the elderly with fractures. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2000;6(1):5-22.
- Koo JS, Kim IC. Happiness and subjective well-being among Korean students and adults: indigenous psychological analysis. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues. 2006;12 (2):77-100.
- Park SO. An enthrographic study on adaptation in hemodialysis patients. The Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. 2002;(12):64-5.
- Yeom EH, Kim MY. The 'good nursing' experienced by hemodialysis patients. The Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2014;26(3):275-86. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.3.275 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2014.26.3.275
- Yu YS, Yu BC, Um SH. The relationship between of patient role behavior and perceived family support among hemodialysis patients. Inje Medical Journal. 2001;22(1):205-18.
- Jung HJ. Symptoms of hemodialysis patients in ED and their self care behavior [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2009.
- Sanzia FF, Ana Treza VSF, Inaiana MF, Marta IVA, Maria RG, Edna RSP. Nutritional status and interdialytic weight gain of chronic hemodialysis patients. Jornal Brasileiro de Nefrologia. 2015;37(3):306-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.5935/0101-2800.20150050 https://doi.org/10.5935/0101-2800.20150050
- Gerasimoula K, Lefkothea L, Maria L, Victoria A, Paraskevi T, Maria P. Quality of life in hemodialysis patients. Masteria Socio Media. 2015;27(5):305-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5455/msm.2015.27.305-309 https://doi.org/10.5455/msm.2015.27.305-309
- Liu WJ, Lu XG, Yan LJ, Feng B, Yue YH. Analysis of the influencing factors of life quality in patients undergoing maintaining hemodialysis. Zhongguo WeiZhong Bing Ji Jiu Yi Xue. 2010;22(12):713-8.
- Cho MH, Park OI, Mean H. The coping patterns to stress of hemodialysis patients characteristically in Jeonnam Eastern Area. The Korean Society of Community Living Science Conference; 2012 May 25; Rural Development Administration Center. Jeonju: The Korean Society of Community Living Science; 2012. p. 137.
- Kim GY. Stress coping style and depression in patients with dialysis therapy. [master's thesis]. Kyungsan: Yungnam University; 2003.
- Sussmann K1. Patients' experiences of a dialysis diet and their implications for the role of the dietitian. Journal of Renal Nutrition. 2001;11(3):172-7. https://doi.org/10.1053/jren.2001.24365
- Ford JC, Pope JF, Hunt AE, Gerald B. The effect of diet education on the laboratory values and knowledge of hemodialysis patients with hyperphosphatemia. Journal of Renal Nutrition. 2004;14(1):36-44. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jrn.2003.09.008
- Tsai WC, Yang JY, Luan CC, Wang YJ, Lai YC, Liu LC, et al. Additional benefit of dietitian involvement in dialysis staffsled diet education on uncontrolled hyperphosphatemia in hemodialysis patients. Clinical Experimental Nephrology. Forthcoming 2015 Dec. 11.