- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Oxaliplatin-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy and Quality of Life in Patients with Digestive System Cancer
- Kim, Hye Young (College of Nursing, Research Institute of Nursing Science, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.03.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
Purpose: This study aimed to identify the levels of oxaliplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy (OXLIPN) and the quality of life (QOL) related to OXLIPN in patients with digestive system cancer. Methods: A total of 83 patients with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN)-related symptoms participated in this study. Data were collected through self-reported questionnaire which were constructed to include general and clinical characteristics, EORTC QLQ-C30, Patient Neurotoxicity Questionnaire (PNQ), and EORTC QLQ-CIPN20. Results: The average scores of OXLIPN upper and lower extremity scale were 30.01 and 29.16, respectively. The average scores of PNQ sensory and motor scale were 2.11 and 1.70, respectively. The mean score of the QLQ-C30 global health status was 54.85, and the range of mean score of the functional and symptom subdomains was 34.85~73.29 and 17.67~53.54, respectively. The CIPN-related symptoms positively correlated with the global health status scale and all subdomains of functional scale, respectively and negatively correlated with fatigue, pain, dyspnea, insomnia, and financial problem subdomains of the symptom scale, respectively. Conclusion: Oncology nurses should pay attention and provide remedies for CIPN symptoms reported by their patients. Nursing interventions should be developed for patients with digestive system cancer to alleviate CIPN and enhance their QOL.
Supported by : Chonbuk National University
- Sasane M, Tencer T, French A, Maro T, Beusterien KM. Patient-reported outcomes in chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: A review. The Journal of Supportive Oncology. 2010;8(6):e15-e21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.suponc.2010.09.029 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suponc.2010.09.029
- Kim HY, Kang JH, Song CE, Youn HJ. Chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy and Quality of Life in Breast Cancer Patients. Asian Oncology Nursing. 2013;13(4):222-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.4.222 https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2013.13.4.222
- Woo IS. Recent updates on chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. The Korean Journal of Medicine. 2015;88(1):35-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2015.88.1.35 https://doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2015.88.1.35
- Azhary H, Farooq MU, Bhanushali M, Majid A, Kassab MY. Peripheral neuropathy: differential diagnosis and management. American Family Physician. 2010;81(7):887-92.
- Tofthagen C. Patient perceptions associated with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2010;14(3):E22-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/10.CJON.E22-E28 https://doi.org/10.1188/10.CJON.E22-E28
- Dunlap B, Paice JA. Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: a need for standardization in measurement. Journal of Supportive Oncology. 2006;4:398-9.
- Song CE, Kim HY, Lee ES. Relationship between chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy and quality of life in patients with hematological malignancies. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2015;27(3):358-66. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.3.358 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.3.358
- Jung SH, Kim SH, Kim JH. Clinical correlation between in vitro chemoresponse assay and first line chemotherapy for metastatic colorectal cancer patients. Korean Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2015;11:51-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.14216/kjco.15010 https://doi.org/10.14216/kjco.15010
- Louvet C, Andre T, Tigaud JM, Gamelin E, Douillard JY, Brunet R, et al. Phase II study of oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and folinic acid in locally advanced or metastatic gastric cancer patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2002;20(23):4543-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.02.021
- Kim H. Adjuvant chemotherapy in colorectal cancer. Korean Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2008;4(2):42-7. https://doi.org/10.14216/kjco.08014
- Tofthagen C, McAllister R, McMillan SC. Peripheral neuropathy in patients with colorectal cancer receiving oxaliplatin. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2011;15(2):182-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/11.CJON.182-188 https://doi.org/10.1188/11.CJON.182-188
- Kim JH, Choi KS, Kim TW, Hong YS. Quality of life in colorectal cancer patients with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. 2011;11(3):254-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2011.11.3.254 https://doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2011.11.3.254
- Barton DL, Wos EJ, Qin R, Mattar BI, Green NB, Lanier KS, et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of a topical treatment for chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: NCCTG trial N06CA. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2011;19(6):833-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00520-010-0911-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-010-0911-0
- Kwak MK, Kim EJ, Lee ER, Kwon IG, Hwang MS. Characteristics and quality of life in patients with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Journal of Korean Oncology Nursing. 2010;10(2):231-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2010.10.2.231 https://doi.org/10.5388/jkon.2010.10.2.231
- Kato J, Nagahara A, Iijima K, Yoshimura M, Osada T, Yoshizawa T, Watanabe S. Evaluation of EORTC QLQ-C30 questionnaire in patients undergoing in-hospital chemotherapy for gastrointestinal cancer in Japan. Journal of gastroenterology and hepatology. 2008;23(s2):S268-S72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2008.05414.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2008.05414.x
- Kim HY, Kang JH, Youn HJ, So HS, Song CE, Chae SY, et al. Reliability and Validity of the Korean Version of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire to Assess Chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2014;44(6):735-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.735 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.735
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Buchner A, Lang AG. Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 2009;41(4):1149-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Smith EM, Pang H, Cirrincione C, Fleishman S, Paskett ED, Ahles T, et al. Effect of duloxetine on pain, function, and quality of life among patients with chemotherapy-induced painful peripheral neuropathy: a randomized clinical trial. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2013;309(13):1359-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.2813 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.2813
- Shimozuma K, Ohashi Y, Takeuchi A, Aranishi T, Morita S, Kuroi K, et al. Feasibility and validity of the Patient Neurotoxicity Questionnaire during taxane chemotherapy in a phase III randomized trial in patients with breast cancer: N-SAS BC 02. Supportive care in cancer. 2009;17(12):1483-91. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00520-009-0613-7 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-009-0613-7
- Postma TJ, Aaronson NK, Heimans JJ, Muller MJ, Hildebrand JG, Delattre JY, et al. The development of an EORTC quality of life questionnaire to assess chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: The QLQ-CIPN20. European Journal of Cancer. 2005;41(8):1135-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2005.02.012
- Fayers PM, Aaronson NK, Bjordal K, Groenvold M, Curran D, Bottomley A, et al. The EORTC QLQ-C30 Scoring Manual , 3rd ed. Brussels: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer; 2001.
- Yun YH, Park YS, Lee ES, Bang SM, Heo DS, Park SY, et al. Validation of the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Quality of Life Research. 2004;13(4):863-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:QURE.0000021692.81214.70
- Wolf SL, Barton DL, Qin R, Wos EJ, Sloan JA, Liu H, et al. The relationship between numbness, tingling, and shooting/burning pain in patients with chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN) as measured by the EORTC QLQ-CIPN instrument, N06CA. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2012;20(3):625-32.. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00520-011-1141-9 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-011-1141-9
- Wickham R. chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: a review and implications for oncology nursing practice. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2007;11:361-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/07.CJON.361-376 https://doi.org/10.1188/07.CJON.361-376
- Yoon WK, Heo MJ, Lee OS, Lim SC. Evaluation of chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy by cisplatin, carboplatin and oxaliplatin. Korean Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2012;22(4):356-66.
- Armstrong T, Almadrones L, Gilbert MR.Chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2005;32(2):305-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/05.ONF.305-311 https://doi.org/10.1188/05.ONF.305-311
- Bakitas MA. Background noise: the experience of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy. Nursing research. 2007;56(5):323-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NNR.0000289503.22414.79 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NNR.0000289503.22414.79
- Javier NS, Montagnini ML. Rehabilitation of the hospice and palliative care patient. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2011;14(5):638-48. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2010.0125 https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2010.0125
- Pachman DR, Barton DL, Swetz KM, Loprinzi CL. Troublesome symptoms in cancer survivors: fatigue, insomnia, neuropathy, and pain. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2012;30(30):3687-96. http://dx.doi.org/0.1200/JCO.2012.41.7238 https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2012.41.7238