- Volume 16 Issue 3
Objectives: This study aims to investigate and analyzed the priority of vocational core competency factors in dental hygienists in Gwangju. Methods: Expert survey was conducted and Analytic Hierarchy Process(AHP) was applied to evaluate the weighting factors. First, we established the vocational core competency defined in NCS as AHP analysis model. The vocational core competency has 10 categories and 34 sub-categories. Secondly, AHP survey was conducted by 195 dental hygienists in Gwangju. Finally, the weights representing relative importance of each factor were calculated by using AHP method. Results: The AHP analysis on 10 categories showed that the weighting of interpersonal skills(0.165) was higher than any other categories while that of numeracy(0.035) was at the bottom, and the analysis on sub-categories revealed that the most important factors in each categories included the teamwork skills(interpersonal skills), problem-solving capability(problem-solving skills), listening skills(communication skills), ethical community(professional ethics), ability to understand business(ability to understand organizational structure), applicable technical skills(technical skills), self-management skills(self-development capability), information processing capabilities(information capacity), ability to manage time(resource management capabilities) and basic math skills(numeracy). Conclusions: The results in this study can be used as basic data for the development of liberal arts curriculum for dental hygiene education.
analytic hierarchical process;national competency standards;vocational core competency
- Lim E. Korean adult skills and related factors. Journal of Employment and Skills Development 2006; 9(1): 1-24.
- Park JH, Lee JP, Park YH. A study on the needs assessment of key competencies from industries for graduates of Korea polytechnic colleges. The Journal of Vocational Education Research 2013; 32(1): 83-105.
- Seo WS. Strategies for key competencies education in the elementary school. The Bulletin of Science Education 2001; 13; 225-46.
- Na SI, Chang SM, Seo WS, Kim JM, Lee S, Kim KY, Jung ST. Identifying key competencies needed for the industry workforce in Korea. Journal of Korean Agricultural Education 2004; 36(4): 139-58.
- Lee JP. A Comparative analysis on good practices for developing basic workplace skills for university students in selected countries. Korean Journal of Comparative Education 2005; 15(2): 171-95.
- Park DY, Ju IJ, Jin MS, Choi SA. The development of core competency model using a delphi technique. The Journal of Vocational Education Research 2010; 29(4): 349-85.
- Kim JS. Activation plan for use of NCS. Korea Labor Institute; 2014; 1-4.
- Hur YJ. A study in the direction and strategies for the reorganization of the liberal arts curriculum. Korean Journal of General Education 2016; 10(1): 425-62.
- Kim KJ, Moon IS. Research on national competency standards(NCS) deployment. Journal of Communication Design 2014; 49(0): 33-40.
- Yang YK, Chung WH. A study on the reorganization of the liberal arts curriculum, based on the NCS professional basic ability and the industry demand for liberal arts education: focusing on the case of D university. Korean Journal of General Education 2015; 9(2): 35-65.
- Ju HJ. A study on the design of liberal arts curriculum using the NCS based vocational core competency: A case study of S university. The 2014 fall conference of the Korean Journal of General Education 2014; 372-82.
- Matzler K, Sauerwein E. The factor structure of customer satisfaction: An empirical test of the importance grid and penalty-reward-contrast analysis. International Journal of Service Industry Management 2002; 13(4): 314-32. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564230210445078
- Pyo SS, Improvement of importance-performance analysis study. Journal of Tourism Sciences 2009; 33(4): 227-51.
- Kwon JG, Maeng BH, Lee JS, Lee JH, Lee JG, Shin MG, et al. The guide line for curriculum development using national competency standards(NCS). Ministry of education; 2015; 3-5.
- Won BY, Jang GW, Hwang MY, Jang JH, Comparison of liberal arts curricula between three year and four dental hygiene departments in korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(2): 344-51. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.02.344.
- Wind Y, Satty TL. Marketing applications of the analytic hierarchy process. Management Science 1980; 26(7): 641-58. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.26.7.641
- Saaty TL, Vargas LG. Model, methods, concepts & applications of the analytic hierarchy process. New York: Springer; 2001; 1-20.
- Kim J, Um JY. The study about occupational ability of dental hygiene department students required of the dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dental Hyg Eud 2009; 9(4): 633-43.
- Kim JH, Sung HK, Kim HJ. Critical thinking disposition and problem-solving ability of dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(3): 356-63. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.356
- Jun SK, Lee SS, Kim DA. Problem-solving ability of dental hygiene students in accordance by meta-cognition level. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(5): 667-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.667. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.05.667
- Gwon AR, Han SJ. Effect of communication competence on the organizational effectiveness in dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(6): 1009-17. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1009. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.06.1009
- Kim CH, Lee OH, Lee SM. Clinical dental hygienist's ethical dilemma and professionalism. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(4): 345-52.
- Lee SM, Kang BW, Kim CH. Dental hygienist's ethical dilemma. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010; 10(4): 259-64.
- Kim YJ, Kim SY. Ethical dilemma and related factors in some clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016; 16(2): 321-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.321. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.321
- Study on Vocational Core Competency of Optometrists vol.22, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2017.22.4.311