- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Dental fear and related factors of dental hygienists using analysis on dental fear survey
Dental Fear Survey 척도를 이용한 치과위생사들의 치과공포감 및 관련요인
Lee, Jae-Ra;Hong, Sun-Hwa;Hwang, Gab-Woon;Kim, Seo-Yeon
- Received : 2016.01.28
- Accepted : 2016.06.09
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the dental fear and related factors of dental hygienists using dental fear survey. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 279 dental hygienists from January 15 to March 28, 2015. The study instrument was dental fear survey. Data were analyzed using SPSS 19.0 program by t-test, one way ANOVA and stepwise multiple regression analysis. The questionnaire included general characteristics of the subjects, subjective oral health status, use of dental care services, subjective oral health status, and recent dental treatment. Results: Alcohol consumption was the most influential factor to the dental fear. The subjective status of oral health and direct pain sense also contributed to the dental fear. Conclusions: To reduce the dental fear, it is important to have high confidence toward the dental treatment performance in the dental hygienists.
dental fear survey;dental hygienist;subjective of oral health status
- Fisher AB, Schaefer BA, Watkins MW, Worrell FC, Hall TE. The factor structure of the fear survey schedule for children-II in trinidadian children and adolescents. J Anxiety Disord 2006; 20: 740-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2005.11.003
- Muris P, Merckelbach H, Mayer B, Prins E. How serious are common childhood fears? Behav Res Ther 2000; 38(3): 217-28. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7967(98)00204-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7967(98)00204-6
- Lee HY, Na MH, Lee YH. Analysis of related factors for dental fear. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(1): 57-65. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.057
- Ministry of health & welfare. 2010 year Korean National Oral Health Survey. Seoul: Ministry of health & welfare; 2010: 109-11.
- Shim YS, Kim AH, An SY. Dental fear and anxiety of juveniles in some areas of Gyeonggi province. J Korean Acad Pediatric Dent 2011; 38(4): 362-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2011.38.4.362. https://doi.org/10.5933/JKAPD.2011.38.4.362
- Choi SS, Song KB, Kim HG. Effect of dental treatment fear and distrust of dentists with dental caries experience among middle and high school students in Daegu city, Korea. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(4): 367-73.
- Doerr PA, Lang P, Nyquist LV, Ronis DL. Factors associated with dental anxiety. J Am Dent Assoc 1998; 129(8): 1111-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1998.0386. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1998.0386
- Klingberg G, Berggrin U, Carlsson SG, Noren JG. Child dental fear; cause-related factor and clinical effects. Eur J Oral Sci 1995; 103(6): 405-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.1995.tb01865.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.1995.tb01865.x
- Kleinknecht RA, Klepac RK, Alexander LD. Origins and characteristics of fear of dentistry. J Am Dent Assoc 1973; 86(4): 842-8. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1973.0165
- Kim JY, Hong SS, Jeong SH, Choi YH, Song KB. Analysis of the related factors, validity of CFSS-DS for dental fear among elementary school students in Daegu city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005; 29(2): 131-40.
- Moon PS, Heo YW, Kim DE, Lee KH. Effect of dental experience on attitude of children toward the dentist and dental treatment. J Dent Child 1996; 23(2): 461-76.
- Hong SH, Oh JS. A relevant factor analysis on dental treatment fear in some high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(4): 741-9. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.741
- Hong SH, Park J, Han MA. Analysis of a relevant factor on dental treatment fear using dental fear survey in college women. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(1): 98-104. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.1.098
- Kwon SJ, Choi YJ. Impact of the type of dental treatment on the dental fear of adolescents in south Gyeongsang province. J Korean Content Assoc 2010; 10(2): 277-85. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.2.277
- Yoon HS, Park JH. Relationship between subjective oral health recognition and dental fear in dental clinic patients. J Korean Content Assoc 2012; 12(6): 371-79. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.6.371. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.371
- Moore R, Berggren U, Carlsson SG. Reliability and clinical usefulness of psychometric measures in a self-referred population of odontophobia. Commuity Dentistry and Oral Epidemioilogy 1991; 19: 341-51.
- Choi SS, Kim JY, Song KB, Lee SK. Analysis of the related factors of dental fear among teenagers in private dental clinics. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2004; 28(4): 495-504.
- Lee HJ, Jeon ES, Lee BH. A study on the fear in private dental clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007; 7(3): 193-6.
- Kim JY. Relationship between dental fear and beliefs toward dental personnels among middle school children. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007; 31(3): 407-15.
- Kim KW, Lee KS. Workers' fear of dental treatment and other factors. J Korean Acad Dent Edu 2010; 10(1): 65-79.
- Oh AY, Kim JY, Lee HS, Choi YH, Song KB. Original Article : The relationship between dental fear and OHRQoL among elementary school children in a metropolitan area. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011; 35(1): 93-101.