- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development of test for Korean functional health literacy in dentistry
국내거주 외국인을 위한 한국형 치과정보 이해능력 평가도구의 개발
Kim, Hyun-Kyung;Noh, Hie-Jin;Jung, Im-Hee;Chung, Won-Gyun;Lee, Yun;Mun, So-Jung;Jeon, Hyun-Sun;Han, Sun-Young;Choi, Eun-Hee;Ki, Jun-Sung;Koo, Min-Ji;Jeong, Ju-Hui
- Received : 2016.04.15
- Accepted : 2016.06.15
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: This study aimed to develop a tool for assessing foreigners' understanding of oral health information in Korea called the Test of Korean Functional Health Literacy in Dentistry(TOKFHLiD) and examined validity and reliability of the tool. The TOKFHLiD consists of two literacy assessment parts: Dental Information Sentence(DIS) aims to assess one's literacy of sentences containing oral health information. Dental Information Document(DID) aims to assess one's numeracy and literacy of documents containing oral health information. Methods: Twenty eight preliminary questions were developed based on various medical care literature such as the agreement to diagnosis and treatment and the treatment precautions. DID using 14 preliminary questions was developed based on the appointment card, the treatment schedule, and labels on oral care products. The 42 preliminary questions in the DIS and the DID were subsequently put through four separate expert reviews, in which questions with content validity score of less than 0.8(13/15 points) were corrected and modified by five dental experts and then were corrected for language errors by two Korean language experts. The preliminary assessment tool was tested on 153 Koreans, and
dental information document;dental information sentence;foreigners in Korea;functional health literacy in dentistry;oral health literacy;tool development
- Korea Immigration Service[Internet]. Korea Immigration Service Statistics. 2014.[cited 2016 Mar 15]. Available from: http://www.immigration.go.kr/.
- Jang YS, Shin CN. A study of characteristics of patients at international clinic of university hospital. Korean Public Health Research 2005; 31(1): 46-54.
- Lee BS, Oh IK, Lee EM. Foreign residents' experience of Korean health care services. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2011; 17(2): 226-37.
- Shin SH. The oral health behaviors and knowledges of some foreign workers. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011; 35(4): 474-85.
- Kim GG, Lee SR, Jegal J, Kim CH, Jo HT, Park JE. Korea foundation for international healthcare. Development of health care program model for foreign workers. Gimhae: Inje Institute of Advanced Studies. 2011.
- Jeon KT, Chung HS, Kim YS, Kim YR, Joo JS, Kim HY, et al. A study on the national survey of multicultural families 2012. Ministry of Gender Equality & Family 2013; 2012-59.
- Lee NY, Han JY. Health status of international students in Korea. J East-West Nurs Res 2011; 17(1): 48-56.
- Kim HR. Health status of marriage-based immigrants in Korea and policy directions. Health Welfare Forum 2010; 46-57.
- Korea Food and Drug Administration. Guidelines for the display of medicine(Ver.3). Seoul: Korea Food and Drug Administration; 2009.
- Lee JY, Rozier RG, Lee SY, Bender D, Ruiz RE. Development of a word recognition instrument to test health literacy in dentistry: the REALD-30-a brief communication. J Public Health Dent 2007; 67(2): 94-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-4006.2007.00021.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2007.00021.x
- Richman JA, Lee JY, Rozier RG, Gong DA, Pahel BT, Vann WF Jr. Evaluation of a word recognition instrument to test health literacy in dentistry: the REALD-99. J Public Health Dent 2007; 67(2): 99-104. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-4006.2007.00022.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2007.00022.x
- Gong DA, Lee JY, Rozier RG, Pahel BT, Richman JA, Vann WF, Jr. Development and testing of the Test of Functional Health Literacy in Dentistry (TOFHLiD). J Public Health Dent 2007; 67(2): 105-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.0022-4006.2007.00023.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2007.00023.x
- Sabbahi DA, Lawrence HP, Limeback H, Rootman I. Development and evaluation of an oral health literacy instrument for adults. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2009; 37(5): 451-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00490.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00490.x
- Ju HJ, Oh HW, Kim JY, Lee HS. A cross-sectional study on oral health literacy and its influencing factors among adults: I. Verbal oral health literacy. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012; 36(2): 97-105.
- Ju HJ, Oh HW, Lee HS. A cross-sectional study on oral health literacy and its influencing factors among adults: II. Functional oral health literacy. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013; 37(2): 81-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.2.81. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.2.81
- Ryu DY. Development of oral health literacy instrument for Korean children's caregiver[Doctoral dissertation]. Gangneung: Univ. of Gangneung-Wonju National, 2013.
- Lee BY, Kim YH. Association between oral health literacy and oral health behaviors of adults in Korea. Health Soc Sci 2014; 37: 87-102.
- Newby D. 'Cloze' procedure refined and modified. 'Modified Cloze', 'Reverse Cloze' and the use of predictability as a measure of communication problems in psychosis. The British journal of psychiatry : J Ment Sci 1998; 172: 136-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1192/bjp.172.2.136. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.172.2.136
- Vacher HL, Chavez T. Quantitative literacy on the web of science, 2-mining the health numeracy literature for assessment items. Numeracy 2009; 2(1): 5.
- Korean Educational Development Institute[Internet]. Measurement Tool of Adult Literacy. 1990.[cited Jan 10] Available from: https://www.kedi.re.kr/.
- The National Institute of The Korean Language[Internet]. Tool of National Basic Literacy Survey. 2012.[cited Jan 9] Available from: www.korean.go.kr.
- Lee TH. Development and evaluation of health literacy improvement program for the Low-Income elderly with hypertension[Report]. Ministry of Education, Science and Technology. National Research Foundation of Korea. 2010; 3.
- Lynn MR. Determination and quantification of content validity. Nursing research 1986; 35(6): 382-6.
- Spitzer WO, Dobson AJ, Hall J, Chesterman E, Levi J, Shepherd R, et al. Measuring the quality of life of cancer patients: a concise QL-index for use by physicians. J Chron Dis 1981; 34(12): 585-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9681(81)90058-8
- Kim JS. International currency Koran language education standard model, 2ed step[Report]. The National Institute of The Korean Language. 2011.
- Kim SH, Lee EJ. The influence of functional literacy on perceived health status in Korean older adults. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008; 38(2): 195-203. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.195
- Kang SJ, Lee TH, Kim GS, Lee JH. The levels of health literacy and related factors among middle-aged adults in Seoul, Korea. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion 2012; 29(3): 75-89.
- Kim IS. (The) effects of completion testing type on Korean reading comprehension in relation to text patterns [Masters' dissertation]. Gwangju: Chonnam National University, 2000.
- Yoon JC, Lee HR. A study of the developmental trends of elementary students' reading attitude. Korean Language Education Research 2007; 40: 162.
- Hong JS. The study on the scoring method of the cloze test. New Korean Language Education 2008; 80: 497-513.
- Bum SS. Actual situation of vocabulary usage among Chinese Korean learners and the corresponding teaching method: Focusing on Sino-Korean words [Masters' Dissertation]. Daegu: Keimyung University, 2011.
- Alexander RE. Readability of published dental educational materials. JADA (1939) 2000; 131(7): 937-42.
- Flores G. Language barriers to health care in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine 2006; 355(3): 229-31. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp058316
- Kwon MW, Rhee KC. Variables affecting on the rationality of consumption behavior of adolescent consumers. J Korean Home Manage Assoc 2000; 18(2): 175-90.