- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A study on oral health perception and oral health-related quality of life of the elderly patients in a geriatric hospital
요양병원 입원 노인환자의 구강건강인식도와 구강건강관련 삶의 질에 관한 연구
- Received : 2016.02.02
- Accepted : 2016.06.10
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the relationship between oral health perception and oral health-related quality of life-14(OHIP-14) in a geriatric hospital. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 230 elderly people in a long-term care institution. The questionnaire was consisted of items on general characteristics, oral health perception and OHIP-14. Except incomplete answers, 226 data were analyzed statistically with one-way ANOVA, t-test, Pearson's correlation coefficient and post hoc Tukey test and ANOVA when significance was set at 0.05. Results: The OHIP-14 showed a negative linear relationship(p<0.01) of r=-0.272 with the oral health perception. Among the subgroups of the OHIP-14, quantitative linear relationship(p<0.01) was shown in functional limitation(r=0.822), physical pain(r=0.825), psychological discomfort(r=0.568), physical disability(r=0.895), psychological disability(r=0.652), social disability(r=0.804) and handicap(r=0.818). Conclusions: In order to improve the oral health perception and OHIP-14 in a geriatric hospital, it is necessary to develop continuously a variety of oral health education and systematic oral health promotion program.
elderly;geriatric hospital;oral health perception;oral health-related quality of life
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Results of population in the future and household trends[Internet]. [cited 2015 Oct 1]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp.
- Statistics Korea. Korea Statistical Information System (KOSIS), Statistics DB, Age-specific population trends and the aging index 2014[Internet]. [cited 2015 Oct 1]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. The National Health Insurance Act 2015[Internet]. [cited 2015 Oct 1]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/wnsearch/search.jsp.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. The Korea National Oral Health Survey 2011. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2011.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Medical law enforcement rules retrieved[Internet]. [cited 2014 Oct 4]. Available from: http://ww w.law.go.kr/.
- National Health Insurance Corporation. Health insurance statistics yearbook 2014, statistics, statistics data, national health insurance corporation[Internet]. [cited 2015 Oct 1]. Available from: http://www.nhis.or.kr.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. 2012 In dept analysis of patient surveys, retrieved January 10, 2014 [Internet]. [cited 2015 Sep 30]. Available from: http://www.kihasa.re.kr/html/jsp/publication/research/list.jsp.
- Jang SH, Choi MH. Evaluation of the quality of life related to oral health among elderly people in some elderly care facilities by OHIP-14. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(4): 475-87.
- Jang JH, Baik SH, Kim AJ, Jong SH, Kim OS, Kim SH. Association between denture satisfaction and perceived oral health among the elderly with removable denture. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006; 30(4): 438-46.
- Jeong HJ, Jaung AH, Kim HJ. Study on the general health status related hypertension and oral health status of rural elder. J Korea Academia-Industrial Coop Soc 2011; 12(11): 4852-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.4852. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.11.4852
- Yu SH. The relationship between denture satisfaction and perceived oral health status. J Korean Acad dent Technology 2008; 30(2): 135-47.
- Kwon SH. A study on the perception of the care taker trainees' perception and behavior of the oral cavity sanitation[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2011.
- Won JH, Park IS. Oral health knowledge and behavior of visiting health care personnel. J Korea Academia-Industrial Coop Soc 2010; 11(7): 2459-67. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.7.2459
- Slade GD. Derivation and validation of a short-form oral health impact profile. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1997; 25(4): 284-90. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb00941.x
- Thean H, Wong ML, Koh H. The dental awareness of nursing home staff in Singapore-a pilot study. Gerodontology 2007; 24(1): 58-63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2007.00138.x
- Allen PF, McMillan AS, Walshaw D, Locker D. A comparison of the validity of generic and disease specific measure in the assessment of oral health related quality of life. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1999; 227: 344-52.
- Lee JH, Kim JS, Jun MS, Yun HK. The relationship between objective oral health conditions and subjective oral health perception of the elderly in Gimcheon. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(3): 417-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.417. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.417
- Park YE, Jeong SH, Yoon SH, Choi YH, Song KB. Associations between general health and diet habits and oral health among the elderly in Pohang city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006; 30(2): 183-92.
- Kim HN, Ku IY, Moon SJ. Correlation analysis of factors and the geriatric oral health-related quality of life in Gumi. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(5): 1039-48. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.1039
- Ahn KS. Relationship between elders' oral health realities and social support and physical function[Doctoral dissertation]. Daejeon: Univ. of Chungnam National, 2009.
- Lee GR. The impact of DMFT index on oral health related quality of life in community-dwelling elderly. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 32(3): 396-404.
- Park JH, Jeong SH, Lee GR, Song KB. The impact of tooth loss on oral health related quality of life among the elderly in Seongju. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2008; 32: 63-74.
- Woo SR, Seo BI, Han CH. The impact of oral health status of the elderly in the community on their satisfaction with life. J East-West Med 2010; 35: 39-71.
- Yoon HS. Influence of oral health status on oral health-related quality of life(OHIP-14) among elderly people in Busan. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(5): 759-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.759. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.759
- Shin DS, Jung YM. Oral health-related quality life (OHQoL) and related factors among elderly women. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2008; 15: 332-41.
- Shim MA, Han GS. A study on the health status and oral health-related quality of life in the elderly patients with long-term care. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(3): 379-89. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.379
- Bae JY. The effect of oral health on the quality of life of the elderly[Doctoral dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2008.
- Kim TH, Kim DB, Kim MH, Lee YG, Kim AS. A study on improvement of the quality of life for the aged. J Korean Gerontol So 1998; 18(1): 150-69.
- Riddick CC. Life satisfaction determinants of older males and female. Leisure Sci 1985; 7(1): 47-63. https://doi.org/10.1080/01490408509512107
- Locker D, Allen PF. Developing short-form measures of oral health-related quality of life. J Public Health Dent 2002; 62(1): 13-20. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2002.tb03415.x