- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Correlation between oral malodor and related factors in visitors to preventive dentistry practice lab
일개 대학 예방치과실습실 방문자의 구취와 요인 간의 상관관계 연구
Jung, Eun-Ju;Park, In-Suk
- Received : 2016.02.16
- Accepted : 2016.06.07
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to examine the correlation between oral malodor and related factors in visitors to preventive dentistry practice lab. Methods: The subjects were selected from 71 visitors to preventive dentistry practice lab in a department of dental hygiene. The subjects were from twenty to twenty nine years old and had no systemic diseases or symptoms. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics, oral malodor concentration, oral health status, oral health behavior, and self-rated oral malodor. Results: The mean concentration of the oral cavity gas was 50.80. The score of 50.80 was a weak smell by the selected judgement criteria. The oral malodor prevalence rate accounted for 39.1 percent and a weak smell was detected in 40 points. Those having higher oral malodor concentration tended to have lower self-rated oral health status(p<0.05). Conclusions: The results can not be generalized to determine the cause of oral malodor, but self-rated oral health status can be linked to systemic disease control. More investigation should be taken in order to analyzed the correlation between oral malodor and systemic diseases.
oral health behavior;oral malodor;self-rated oral malodor
- Malhotra S, Yeltiwar RK. Evaluation of two mouth rinses in reduction of oral malodor using a spectrophotometric technique. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2011; 15(3): 250-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0972-124X.85669. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-124X.85669
- Tonzetich J. Production and origin of oral malodor: a review of mechanisms and methods and analysis. J Periodontol 1977; 48(1): 13-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.1902/jop.19220.127.116.11. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1918.104.22.168
- Spouge JD. Hemostasis in dentistry, with special reference to hemocoagulation: III. Principles underlying clinical hemostatic practices in patiens with faulty coagulation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1964; 18(6): 701-12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(64)90467-0. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(64)90467-0
- Rosenberg M, Kozlovsky A, Gelernter I, Cherniak O, Gabbay J, Bahr R, et al. Self-estimation of oral malodor. J Dent Res 1995; 74(9): 1577-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/00220345950740091201. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345950740091201
- Shin SC, Lee KS. An epidemiological study on malodor status in Korean people. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1999; 23(4): 343-59.
- Murata T, Yamaga T, Iida T, Miyazaki H, Yaegaki K. Classification and examination of halitosis. Int Dent J 2002; 52(3): 181-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/j.1875-595X.2002.tb00921.x. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1875-595X.2002.tb00921.x
- Miyazaki H, Sakao S, Katoh Y, Takehara T. Correlation between volatile sulphur compounds and certain oral health measurements in the general population. J Periodontol 1995; 66(8): 679-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.1902/jop.1922.214.171.1249. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.1999
- Donaldson AC, Riggio MP, Ralph HJ, Bagg J, Hodge PJ. Clinical examination of subjects with halitosis. Oral Dis 2007; 13(1): 63-70. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2006.01248.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2006.01248.x
- Chun JY, Lee KH. The subjective recognition of oral malodor and oral malodor self test. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(6): 871-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.871. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.06.871
- Han GS. Self-perceived oral malodor symptoms and associated factors among adults in metropolitan area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(3): 475-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.3.475. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.3.475
- Kwon HJ, Park JW, Yoon MS, Chung SK, Han MD. Factors associated with self-reported halitosis in korea patients. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 32(2): 231-42.
- Lee MG. The comparative study of several kinds of oral malodor checking devices for clinical use[Doctoral dissertation]. Cheonan: Univ. of Dankook, 2008.
- Kong MS, Lee HS, Kim SN. Children's Dental Health Behavior in Relation to Their Mothers' Dental Health Knowledge Level, Attitude toward Dentist and Dental Health Behaviors. J Korean Acad Oral Health 1994; 18(1): 84-94
- Lee HY. Study on Relation Factors of Oral Health Behaviors: Based on Health Promotion Model[Master dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Yonsei, 2001.
- Kim SS, Kim HJ, Park YN, Seung JH, Lee ES, Yoo JH, et al. Preventive dental hygiene practices. 1st ed. Seoul: Komoonsa;2014: 121-4.
- Park MS, Kim YK, Chung SC, Lee SW. Epidemiologic study on oral malodor for korean. J Korean Acad Oral Medicine 2001; 26(2): 107-14.
- Nadanovsky P, Carvalho LBM, Ponce de Leo'n A. Oral malodour and its association with age and sex in a general population in Brazil. Oral Dis 2007; 13(1): 105-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2006.01257.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2006.01257.x
- Lewis MW, Holder-Ballard C, Selders Jr RJ, Scarbecz M, Johnson HG, Turner EW. Comparison of the use of a toothpick holder to dental floss in improvement of gingival health in humans. J Periodontol 2004; 75(4): 551-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1902/jop.2004.75.4.551. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2004.75.4.551
- Bergenholtz A, Brithon J. Plaque removal by dental floss or toothpicks. An intra-individual comparative study. J Clin Periodontol 1980; 7(6): 516-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1980.tb02158.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1980.tb02158.x
- Heo HY, Shin SC, Cho JW, Park KS. A Study about the relationship between worker's mouth-odor survey and factor analysis. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005; 29(3): 368-84.
- Yoon MS, Youn HJ. A study on subjective symptoms of a oral malodor in korean aduls. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008; 8(3): 123-9.
- Iwakura M, Yasuno M, Shimura M, Sakamoto S. Clinical characteristics of halitosis:Differrences in two patient groups with primary and secondary complaints of halitosis. J Dent Res 1994; 73(9): 1568-74. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/00220345940730091301. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345940730091301
- Lee MR, Choi JS. Self-reported halitosis and the associated factors in adult. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(2): 142-50.
- Kurihara E, Marcondes FK. Oral concentration of volatile sulphur compounds in stressed rats. Stress 2002; 5(4): 295-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1025389021000061192. https://doi.org/10.1080/1025389021000061192