- Volume 16 Issue 3
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the correlation between critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy in dental hygiene students. Methods: This is a cross-sectional study. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 486 dental hygiene students in for colleges Jellabukdo from March to June, 2016. The study instrument included general characteristics of the subjects, critical thinking disposition, and self-efficacy. The instrument for critical thinking disposition was adapted from Yoon and consisted of intellectual zeal/curiosity, prudence, self-confidence, systemicity, intellectual impartiality, sound skepticism, and objectivity. Each question was measured by Likert 5 point scale. Cronbach's alpha was 0.73 in the study. The instrument for self-efficacy was adapted from Kim and consisted of self-efficacy confidence, self-regulation efficacy, and task difficulty choice using Likert 5 point scale. Cronbach's alpha was 0.73 in the study. Results: The correlation between critical thinking disposition and details of each area showed a strong correlation. The strongest positive correlation in passion was 0.721 for curiosity and critical thinking disposition overall(p<0.01). Conclusions: It is necessary to develop the program for critical thinking disposition and self-efficacy in the dental hygiene students.
critical thinking disposition;dental hygiene students;self efficacy
- Kim KH, Kim GD. The Relationship between Critical Thinking Disposition and Self - Efficacy of College Nursing Students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2007; 13(2): 229-36.
- Profetto-McGrath J. The relationship of critical thinking skills and critical thinking dispositions of baccalaureate nursing students. J Adv Nurs 2003; 43(6): 569-77. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02755.x
- Kneckt MC, Syrjala AM, Knuuttila ML. Locus of control beliefs predicting oral and diabetes health behavior and health status. Acta Odontol Scand 1999; 57(3): 127-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/000163599428841
- Shin K, Jung DY, Shin S, Kim MS. Critical thinking dispositions and skills of senior nursing students in associate, baccalaureate, and RN-to-BSN programs. J Nurs Educ 2006; 45(6): 233-7.
- Wilkins EM. Clinical practice of the dental hygiene. 10th ed. Lippintcott. Williams&Wilkins; 2009: 37-59.
- American Dental Hygienists Association. ADEA competencies or the new general dentist as approved by the 2008 ADEA house of delegate. J Dent Edu 2009; 73: 866-9.
- American Dental Hygienists Association. Dental hygiene diagnosis: an American dental hygienist's association position paper. Chicago. American Dental Hygienist's Association 2010: 6-9.
- Park HS, Bae YJ, Jeong SY. A study on self-esteem, self-efficacy, coping methods, and the academic and job-seeking stress of nursing students. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2002; 11(4): 621-31.
- Yoon J. Development of an instrument for the measurement of critical thinking disposition: In Nursing[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Catholic, 2004.
- Kim AY. A study on the academic failure-tolerance and its correlates. Korean J Med Educ 1997; 11(1): 1-19.
- Hwang HR, Kim HR, Cho YS. Association between critical thinking disposition and grade point average score in dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2012; 12(1): 7-13.
- Kim JH, Sung HK, Kim HJ. Critical thinking disposition and problem-solving ability of dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(3): 356-63. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.356
- Park JW, Kim CJ, Kim YS, Yoo MS, Yoo H, Chae SM, et al. Impact of critical thinking disposition, general self-efficacy, and leadership on clinical competence in nursing students. Korean J Med Educ 2012; 24(3): 223-31. http://dx.doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2012.24.3.223. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2012.24.3.223
- Choi EJ, Song YS. The association between oral health behavior intention and self-efficacy of dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(3): 485-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.485. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.485
- Cho YS, Bae HS, Hwang HR. Factors associated with critical thinking disposition in dental hygiene students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(6): 543-51.
- Shin KR, Ha JY, Kim KH. The longitudinal study of critical thinking dispositions & critical thinking skills in baccalaureate nursing student. J Korean Acad Nurs 2002; 35(2): 382-9.
- Lee JI. Self esteem, self efficacy and critical thinking disposition of college students. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 20009; 15(2): 166-74. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.2.166
- Yune SJ, Shin SJ, Lee EY. A study on effects of critical thinking dispositions on vocational personality in university students. Jour Fish Mar Sci Edu 2007; 19(2): 206-18.