- Volume 16 Issue 3
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the correlation between stress and oral health in some high school students. Methods: The subjects were 224 students from three high schools in Daejeon, Daecheon, and Incheon. from November to December, 2015. A self-reported questionnaire was filled out from November to December, 2015. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects, awareness toward stress, stress-coping pattern, oral health-related quality of life and oral health care. Data were analyzed by SPSS 18.0 program. Results: In the analysis of academic stress level by the general characteristics and stress level, higher stress group showed higher experience in stress expectation(high group 16.43, subgroup 9.21), internal stress(high group 13.97, subgroup 6.16), expression type stress(high 10.06, sub-4.95). The higher stress group had emotional stress management in stress-coping pattern and less experience in difficulty of tooth brushing, chewing discomfort, and oral health-related quality of life management(p<0.001). Conclusions: The stress had a negative impact on the oral health related quality of life. The high school students should be able to manage the physical and mental stress. It is necessary to provide the continuous oral health care management against the stress by the dental hygienists.
oral health;quality of life;stress;stress-coping pattern
- Park HJ, Kim HW, Ko SY, Lee JH. Moderating effects of oral health behaviors on the relation between daily stress and oral health status in Korean adolescents. Korean Public Health Research 2015; 41(1): 81-93.
- Kim JA. The influence of academic stress upon emotional problems in middle school students - The mediating effect of ego-resilience. Korean J Couns 2015; 16(3): 359-77.
- Naver Korea. Stress[Internet]. [cited 2016 January] Available from: http://terms.naver.com/entry.nhn?docId=2094122&cid=41991&categoryId=41991.
- Jung YY. A study of the relation of stress to oral health-related of life in male high school students of Chungnam. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(2): 158-66.
- Kim HJ. Relationship of personality type to stress-coping pattern and school adjustment among high school students. Major in counseling psychology graduate school of education [Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. Kon-kuk, 2010.
- Choi JS. The relationship between stress perception and oral health status. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014: 14(4): 555-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.555. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.555
- Kim SR, Han SJ. The relationship between perceived oral health status and entrance exam stress levels in high school students. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015; 15(4): 509-17. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.4.509
- Ryu JI, Jung SH. Prevalence of the oral impacts on daily performance (OIDP) in elderly population, Gangneung city. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2007; 31(2): 205-13.
- Kang MH. The mediating effects of hope and ego-resilience on the relationship between adolescents' academic stress and psychological well-being[Doctoral dissertation] Kyoungbuk: Univ. Daegu Haany, 2013.
- Koo HM, Au QS, Chun YH, Hong JP. Change of the Amylase Secretion on the Rat Submandibular Gland in the Restraint Stress Condition. J Oral Med Pain 2007; 32(1): 57-67.
- Byung GB, Park SM. Development and validation of an academic stress scale. KJEP 2012; 26(2): 563-85.
- Cho MS, Yi SJ. Self-report symptoms for temporomandibular disorder and related factors in the high school third grade students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(6): 853-62.
- Hwang EJ. The effects of perceived parental academic achievement pressure on academic stress of high school students: Mediating effect of academic self-efficacy major in counseling education. [Master's thesis] Seoul: Univ. Yonsei 2015.
- Ahn SY, Ha CS. The relationship among self-control, stress perception, and coping style of the university Students -focusing on a local university students. Korean J Couns 2008; 9(2): 391-403. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.9.2.200806.391
- Yoo GS, Shin DW. Effects of stress coping styles on academic burnout and employment stress among undergraduate students. Korean J Couns 2013; 14(6): 3849-69. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.14.6.201312.3849
- Ahn GR. The effect of stress experiences on abnormal eating behavior of female high school students. Korean J Str Res 2011; 19(3): 213-20.
- Lee GR, Influence of self-control on stress management and oral health related quality of life in high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016; 16(2): 269-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.269 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.269
- Hong MH. Correlation between stress, dry mouth and halitosis in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015; 15(3): 389-97.
- Lee MR, Han KS, Han SJ, Chio JS. Impact of subjectively reported oral health status on the quality of life among adults: applying the precede model. Korean Soc Health Edu Promo 2011; 28(1): 23-35.
- Billings RJ, Proskin HM, Moss ME. Xerostomia and associated factors in a community-dwelling adult population. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1996; 24(5): 312-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1996.tb00868.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1996.tb00868.x
- Park HR. The oral impacts on daily performance of some university students and an effect of oral health education to oral health behavior [Doctoral dissertation] Jeollabuk-do: Univ. Wonkwang 2011.