- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Related factors of preventive behavior experiences toward dental caries and periodontal disease in Korean adolescents
한국 청소년의 치아우식증과 치주질환에 대한 예방행위 경험 관련요인
Park, Sin Young;Han, Yeo Jung;Ryu, So Yeon
- Received : 2016.04.15
- Accepted : 2016.06.15
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The objective of the study was to investigate the related factors of preventive behavior experience toward dental caries and periodontal disease in Korean adolescents. Methods: The study subjects were 72,060 adolescents in 800 schools who completed 2014 Korean Youth Risk Behavior Web-based survey. Dependent variables included general characteristics of the subjects, oral health behavior, and oral disease experience. The experience rate of sealant and scaling showed the prevention behavior of dental caries and periodontal disease. Data were analyzed by IBM SPSS statistics 20.0. Results: The experience rate of sealant accounted for 26.9%. The experience of sealant was related with gender, school, maternal education level, economic status, vigorous physical activity, smoking, usual stress, fruit consumption, milk consumption, soda consumption, snack consumption, tooth brushing, oral health education experience, periodontal bleeding and pain, mucosal disorders, and bad breath. The experience rate of scaling was 22.6%. The experience of scaling was related with gender, school, city division, learning achievement, maternal education level, economic status, residential type, vigorous physical activity, usual stress, fruit consumption, milk consumption, tooth brushing, oral health education experience, periodontal bleeding and pain, mucosal disorders, and bad breath. Conclusions: To expand preventive oral health behavior in the adolescents, it is necessary to support the systematic policy making and monetary establishment in the future.
adolescents;dental caries;periodontal disease;preventive behavior
- Noh HJ, Choi CH, Sohn WS. The relationship between oral health behavior and frequency of oral health education in adolescent. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2008; 32(2): 203-13.
- Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R. Oral health beliefs in adolescence and oral health in young adulthood. J Dent Res 2006; 85(4): 339-43. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910608500411
- Park HJ, Lee JH. The relation between periodontal condition and dental health behaviors among Korean adolescents. 2009 Korean Academy Of Oral Health Autumn Workshop Presentation File; 946-8.
- Cockerham WC, Sharp K, Wilcox JA. Aging and perceived health status. J Gerontol 1983; 38(3): 349-55. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/38.3.349
- Han SB, Bak DY. Survey on the knowledge and attitude of periodontal disease in Korean. J Periodontal Implant Sci 1992; 22: 191-7.
- National health insurance corporation, health insurance review & assessment service. National health insurance statistical yearbook. Seoul: National Health Insurance Corporation, Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service; 2011: 556-65.
- Kim GB, Kim EJ, Moon HS, Kim JB, Kim DK, Lee HS, et al. Public health dentistry. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2004: 375-93.
- Kang MS, Kim JY, Kim HG, Kim BI. Influence of self-perception, attitude, behavior and knowledge about oral health on caries experience and periodontal treatment need. J Korean Acad Oral Health 1994; 18(1): 144-64.
- Kim MJ. A study on the oral health of Korean adults[Doctoral dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2011.
- Ha MO, Cho MJ, Kim EM. The effects of incremental dental care (IDC) on kindergarten children. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(2): 271-7. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.2.271
- Ministry of health and welfare. Third national health promotion master plan:HP 2020. Sejong: Ministry Of Health And Welfare; 2011: 1-848.
- Simonsn RJ. Retention and effectiveness of dental sealant after 15 years. J Am Dent Assoc 1991; 122: 34-42.
- Jung EK. Scaling behavior connected factor of manufactoring industry worker[Mester's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Daegu Hanny, 2004.
- Jun MS. The effects of school-based fissure sealant program for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth of schoolchildren[Doctoral dissertation]. Daegu: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2010.
- Jung JH, Kim KY, Jeong SH, Kim KS, Lee YM. The effect of the oral health behaviors on the periodontal status in teenagers. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(2): 163-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.163 https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.163
- Lee HJ, Bae KH. A change in the regional disparity based on the national insurance coverage of dental sealant in Korea. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2014; 38(3): 165-9. http://dx.dio.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.3.165. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.3.165
- YS, Chun KH, Baek KW, Kim MS, Lee SJ. The relationship of pit and fissure sealant in children and mother's socioeconomic status, mother's oral health screening. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012; 36(2): 124-30.
- Kwak JS, Woo SH, Lee JR. Recognition towards oral health care and plaque removal in the elderly people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(4): 727-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.727. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.04.727
- Jung YJ, Cho MH, Moon DH. Influencing factors to dental caries and periodontal diseases in Korean adults. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(1): 47-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.13063/jksdh.2015.15.01.47. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.47
- Ministry of education, Ministry of health and welfare, Korea centers for disease control and prevention. The tenth Korea youth risk behavior web-based survey. Sejong: Ministry Of Health And Welfare: 2014.
- Lim CY, Oh HW. The relationship between oral health behaviors and periodontal health status of Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013; 37(2): 65-72. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.2.65
- Lee MY, Choi EM, Jung WG, Son JH, Chang SJ. The effects of perceived stress on dietary habits and oral health behaviors in Korean adolescents. J Dent Hyg Sci 2013; 13(4): 440-8.
- Wierzbicka M, Petersen PE, Szatko F, Dybizbanska E, Kalo I. Changing oral health status and oral health behaviour of schoolchildren in Poland. Community Dent Health 2002; 19(4): 243-50.
- Cheon HW. Analysis of factors for relationship between oral disease and chronic disease[Doctoral dissertation]. Iksan: Univ. of Wonkwang, 2010.
- Park JH, Kim CS. Relationship between health behavior and oral symptoms in Korean adolescents. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(5): 813-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.813. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.813
- Lee JH, Baek JM, Yoo JY. Relationship between dental caries and oral health behavior in middle and high school students: the ninth (2013) Korean youth risk behavior web-based survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15: 119-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.119. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.119
- Shin KH. Effectiveness of oral health promotion on the oral health education in some high school students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12: 933-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.12.5.933. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.933
- Lee JH, Baek JM, Yoo JY. Relationship between dental caries and oral health behavior in middle and high school students:the ninth (2013) Korean youth risk behavior web based survey. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(1): 119-27. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.119. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.01.119
- Jeon MJ, Kim DK. Factors affecting tooth scaling experience of Korean adolescents. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010; 34(4): 562-9.
- Kwon HK, Kim HJ. Relationship between diet intake and dental caries experience of middle school students. J Korean Acad Oral Health 1994; 18(1): 119-43.
- Periodontal health status of adolescents aged 15 years in Jinju city vol.42, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2018.42.3.84