- Volume 16 Issue 3
Objectives: This study aims to investigate the elements to affect the usage of individual oral hygiene devices in adults by the age group, to make the community inhabitants keep their healthy dental hygiene status, and to provide them with the educational materials for the dental hygiene and the basic data for the program development. The purpose of the study is to investigate the relation ot use of oral hygiene devices in the adults. Methods: The subjects were 9,073 adults from the sixth KNHANES from January, 2013 to December, 2014. The study consisted of questionnaire survey and direct physical examination. The questionnaire included genral characteristics of the subjects and oral health characteristics. The general characteristics consisted of subjective perception of health and chronic diseases. The oral health characteristics consisted of subjective oral health perception, dental caries, periodontal disease, annual oral examination, toothbrushing, prosthetics, implant surgery, and use of individual oral hygiene devices. Results: Those within 40 to 64 years old were the top users of oral hygiene devices. They perceived their dental hygiene was normal because they did not have periodontal disease but most of them had dental caries. They used oral hygiene devices three times a day and brushed teeth more than three times a day. They took annual dental checkup. Conclusions: It is necessary to promote the use of oral hygiene devices to prevent the dental caries and periodontal disease. The continuous training for the dental hygienists is very important because the dental hygienists is the first line of the prevention of dental caries and periodontal disease.
adults;individual oral hygiene devices;oral health related characteristics
- Nam SM. A study on the practice application of oral hygiene auxiliary supplies and oral health status of patients in 'S' university dental clinic. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(3): 373-81.
- Park CS, Kim YI, Jang SH. A study on the status of recognition, understanding of the use and practical application of oral hygiene devices in dental clinics patients. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009; 9(4): 685-98.
- Seo EJ, Shin SC, Seo HS, Kim EJ, Chang YS. A survey on Koreans' behavior about the use of oral hygiene devices. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2003; 27(2): 177-93.
- Yoon HS. A study on knowledge and use of oral hygiene devices among adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 9(3): 339-44.
- Lee YH, Moon HS, Paik DI, Kim JB. A survey on family dental health behavior in Seoul capital city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2000; 24(3): 239-57.
- Zimmer S, Kolbe C, Kaiser G, Krage T, Ommerborn M, Barthel C. Clinical efficacy of flossing versus use of antimicrobial rinses. J Periodontol 2006; 77(8): 1380-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1902/jop.2006.050362. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2006.050362
- Arora V, Tangade P, Ravishankar TL, Tirth A, Pal S, TandonV. Efficacy of dental floss and chlorhexidine mouth rinse as an adjunct to tooth brushing in removing plaque and gingival inflammation-a three way cross over trial. J Clin Diagn Res 2014; 8(10): ZC01-04. http://dx.doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2014/8807.4943. https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2014/8807.4943
- Kiger RD, Nylund K, Feller RP. A comparison of proximal plaque removal using floss and interdental brushes. J Clin Dent 1991; 18(9): 681-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1991.tb00109.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1991.tb00109.x
- Schmid MD, Balmelli OP, Soxer UP. Plaque-removing effect of a tooth brush, dental floss and tooth pick. J Clin Periodontology 1976; 3(3): 157-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1976.tb01863.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1976.tb01863.x
- Michael LB. The role of therapeutic antimicrobial mouthrinses in clinical practice. J Am Dent Assoc 2003; 134(6): 699-704. http://dx.doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0255. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2003.0255
- Jon W, Nivedita R, Roger G, John D, Janine F, John B. Antibacterial and antiplaque effects of a novel, alcohol-free oral rinse with acetylpyridinium chloride. J Cont Dental Pract 2005; 6(1): 1-10.
- So MH, Kim SS, Shin SB. A study on usage status of oral hygiene devices in some area. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2010; 10(6): 1107-19.
- Choi ES, Jeong SR, Cho HA. Factors affecting the use of oral hygiene devices in adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015; 15(6): 775-85. http://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.775. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.6.775
- Jung GO. A survey about the use of oral hygiene device and awareness some of the middle age people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2009; 9(4): 580-90.
- Kim JY, Jung GO. The awareness of oral health treatment and use of present in dental patients. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 15(2): 61-70.
- Lee HS, Kim YS. Comparison study of oral health care and dental treatments about the use of oral hygiene devices among the patients. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 8(3): 149-60.
- Kim SK. A study on the status of recognition and practical application of oral hygiene devices: with outpatient as the central figure. J Dent Hyg Sci 2002; 2(2): 95-103.
- Kim GB, Paik DI, Moon HS, Jin BH, Song YH. Dentists and dental patients attitudes toward oral hygiene devices selection. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1992; 16(2): 493-504.
- Effect of social support and self-esteem on the oral health behaviors of Korean elderly people vol.41, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.4.282