- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Relationship between the number of functional teeth and Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index(GOHAI) in elderly
노인의 기능 치아 수와 구강건강평가(GOHAI)와의 관련성
Cho, Min-Jeong;Jung, Eun-Kyung;Shin, Hae-Eun;Shin, Ah Ra;Jo, Hwa-Young;Choi, Youn-Hee;Song, Keun-Bae
- Received : 2016.05.12
- Accepted : 2016.06.22
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the association between remaining functional teeth and oral health-related quality of life using Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index(GOHAI) in the elderly. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 237 female elderly in Daegu from May to September, 2015. The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects and Geriatric Oral Health Assessment Index(GOHAI). A total of 216 female elderly data were analyzed for oral health status and their GOHAI score. Data were analyzed using SPSS 23.0 version. Logistic regression analysis showed the association of functional teeth and GOHAI score. Results: Number of functional teeth can affect oral health related quality of life in the elderly. When functional teeth is small, the odds ratio(OR) was 2.119(95% CI: 1.215-3.696). After adjusting age, residence type and education, OR was 1.900(95% CI: 1.060-3.399). Policies to preserve natural tooth should be recommended for increasing quality of life in general. Conclusions: This study showed significant association between number of functional teeth and the GOHAI score of the elderly women.
functional teeth;GOHAI;subjective masticatory level
- Kwon YO, Choi MS, Lee JH, Yun HK. Analysis of structural relationship among geriatric denture-related characteristics, denture satisfaction, and GOHAI. J of Digital Convergence 2010; 12(4): 399-407. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.4.399. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.4.399
- Park NG, Ko YG. Comparison of oral health related living quality of the elder with physical disabilities and ones capable of living at homes. J Kor Aca Den Tech 2012; 34(3): 273-81. https://doi.org/10.14347/kadt.2012.34.3.273
- Hur IK, Lee TY, Dong JK, Hong SH. The effects of dental prostheses to the quality of life among the elderly. J Korean Acad Prosthodont 2010; 48(2): 101-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2010.48.2.101. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2010.48.2.101
- WHO. The World Oral Health Report 2003. Continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century: the approach of the WHO global oral health programme (WHO/NMH/NPH/ORH/03.2). Geneva: WHO 2003: 1-38.
- Ministry of health and welfare, Korea centers for disease control and prevention. Korea health statistics 2014: Korea national health and nutritional examination survey (KNHANES VI-2). Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2014: 214-20.
- Park JH, Kwon HK, Kim BI, Choi CH, Choi YH. A survey on the oral health condition of institutionalized elderly people resident in free asylum. J Korean Acad Oral health 2002; 26(4): 555-66.
- Tada A, Watanabe T, Yokoe H, Hanada N, Tanzawa H. Relationship between the number of remaining teeth and physical activity in community-dwelling elderly. 2003; 37(2): 109-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4943(03)00026-8
- Atchison KA, Dolan TA. Development of the geriatric oral health assessment index. J Dent Educ 1990; 54(11): 680-7.
- Shin SJ, Jung SH. A Korean version of the geriatric oral health assessment index (GOHAI) in elderly populations: validity and reliability. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011; 35(2): 187-95.
- Rodakowska E, Mierzynska K, Baginska J, Jamiolkowski J. Quality of life measured by OHIP-14 and GOHAI in elderly people from Bialystok, north-east Poland. BMC Oral Health 2014; 14: 1-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-14-106. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6831-14-1
- Cho MJ, Park DO, Song KB. Influence of denture wearing on a mini-mental state examination(MMSE-K) in the elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2016; 16(2): 295-301. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.02.295
- Cho MJ, Jung EK, Lee SS, Choi YH, Song KB. The relationship between the number of remaining teeth and senile dementia: A pilot study. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2015; 39(3): 214-9. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.3.214
- Lee YK. Policy suggestions for the improvement of welfare leisure centers in Korea. Health and Welfare Policy Forum 2013; 198: 56-66.
- Lee JY, Kim EC, Sohn TJ. A study on improving plan and using condition for age hall as leisure facilities in Chung-Ju. J of Architect Institute Korea 2005; 1(1): 105-10.
- Lee MS, Shin SJ, Jung SH. The association between oral health related quality of life(OHRQoL) and socio-economic position in the elderly in rural area of Gangwon province. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(5): 707-15.
- Lee EG. Comparison of the quality of life of adults and elderly. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(5): 1029-38. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.5.1029
- Jain R, Dupare R, Chitguppi R, Basavaraj P. Assessment of validity and reliability of Hindi version of geriatric oral health assessment index(GOHAI) in Indian population. Indian J Public Health 2015; 59(4): 272-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-557X.169654
- Dradkeh S, Khader YS. Translation and validation of the arabic version of the geriatric oral health assessment Index(GOHAI). J Oral Sci 2008; 50(4): 453-9. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.50.453
- Lee KY, Cho YS, Lim SR. Oral health-related quality of life of the elderly under visiting health care. J Dent Hyg Sci 2015; 15(3): 325-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.3.325. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.3.325
- Park JU, Park MH. Ability for chewing a social activity and connection with the life function of a senior citizen. J Kor Aca Den Tech 2007; 29(2): 87-103.
- Kim JY. Impact of the number of remaining teeth on oral health in the elderly population. The Korean Academy of Dental Hygiene 2013; 15(3): 169-80.
- Shin SJ, Chung WG, Ahn YS, Ma DS, Park DY, Jung SH. Association between socio-economic status and oral-related quality of life for elderly people. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011; 35(3): 297-305.