- Volume 16 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Influencing factors for perceived oral health for the improvement of quality of life in Korean elderly
노인의 삶의 질 향상을 위한 주관적 구강건강에 영향을 미치는 요인
Oh, Han Na;Kim, Ji Hyun
- Received : 2016.11.01
- Accepted : 2016.06.24
- Published : 2016.06.30
Objectives: The purpose of the study was to investigate the influencing factors of the perceived oral health for improvement of quality of life in Korean elderly. Methods: The subjects were 1,289 elderly over 65 years old from the sixth National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2013. The dependent variable was subjective oral health status. The independent variable was sociodemographic characteristics. Results: The perceived oral health of the unemployed elderly and those having chewing problems were 1.65-fold(95% CI=1.12=2.44) and 3.45-fold(95% CI=2.37-5.02), respectively than employed and chewable elderly. The perceived oral health of the former was 2.49-fold worse(95% CI=1.73-3.60) than the latter. Conclusions: The influencing factors of perceived oral health status included occupation, perceived health status and chewing problems. To improve the oral health-related quality of life in the elderly, continuous education and hands-on programs should be provided for the elderly in the long term care.
elderly;Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination;perceived oral health;quality of life
- Korea National Statistical Office. Statistics in elderly 2015[cited 2016 Jan 04]. Available form: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/3/index.board?bmode=read&bSeq=&aSeq=348566&pageNo=9&rowNum=10&navCount=10&currPg=&sTarget=title&sTxt.
- Jung KH, Oh MH, Kang EN, Kim JH, Sun WD, Oh MA, et al. 2014 National survey on older adults. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs 2014; 1-558.
- Liang J. Self-reported physical health among aged adults. J Gerontol 1986; 41(2): 248-60. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/41.2.248
- Choi SH. Health behavior with disparity patterns self perceived health status and body mass index result[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyonggi, 2005.
- Idler EL, Benyamini Y. Self-rated health and mortality: a review of twenty-seven community studies. J Health Soc Behav 1997; 38(1): 21-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/2955359. https://doi.org/10.2307/2955359
- Kaplan GA, Camacho T. Perceived health and mortality: a nine-year follow-up of the human population laboratory cohort. Am J Epidemiol 1983; 117(3): 292-304. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a113541
- Ostberg AL, Eriksson B, Lindblad U, Halling A. Epidemiological dental indices and self-perceived oral health in adolescents: ecological aspects. Acta Odontol Scand 2003; 61(1): 19-24. https://doi.org/10.1080/ode.126.96.36.199
- Lee HO, Kim J. Effects of elders' oral health beliefs and oral health behaviors on their quality of life. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008; 8(2): 57-63.
- Kim SH, Lim SA, Park SJ, Kim DK. Assessment oral health-related quality of life using the oral health impact profile(OHIP). J Korean Acad Dent Health 2004; 28(4): 559-69.
- Park CS, Park SY. Effects of subjective oral health condition and oral health behavior on happiness in the elderly people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(3): 443-50. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.443. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.443
- Kim ES, Lee SK, Yoon HJ, Nam HM, Kim KH, Kwon GH. Subjective health status and relative factors of old-old elderly of more than 75-year-old -Based on 2011 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey-. J Korea Acad Industr Coop Soc 2014; 15(7): 4279-89. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4279. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4279
- Bae YH, Kim HA. Gender differences in factors affecting subjective health state among korean elderly: analysis of 2012 and 2013 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of The Korean Society of Integrative Medicine 2015; 3(4): 79-90. http://dx.doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2015.3.4.079. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2015.3.4.079
- Kim YM, Kwon HK, Chung WG, Cho YS, Choi YH. The association of perceived oral health with oral epidemiological indicators in Korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2005; 29(3): 250-60.
- Jung MH, Kim SS, Kim YS, Ahn ES. Relationship of socioeconomic status to self-rated oral health. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(2): 207-13.
- Kim SJ, Lee BJ. An association between self-reported oral health and oral health status among Korean male soldiers aged 18-24. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2012; 36(4): 282-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2012.36.4.282. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2012.36.4.282
- Lee JY, Divaris K, Baker AD, Rozier RG, Vann WF. The relationship of oral health literacy and self-efficacy with oral health status and dental neglect. Am J Public Health 2012; 102(5): 923-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300291. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300291
- Borg V, Kristensen TS. Social class and self-rated health: can the gradient be explained by differences in life style or work environment? Soc Sci Med 2000; 51(7): 1019-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00011-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00011-3
- Borrell C, Muntaner C, Benach J, Artazcoz L. Social class and self-reported health status among men and women: what is the role of work organisation, household material standards and household labour?. Soc Sci Med 2004; 58(10): 1869-87. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(03)00408-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(03)00408-8
- Kim HY, Lee AH, Lee SJ, Choi SH. Fourfold hardships of Korean elders, causes and countermeasures. Gyeonggi Research Institute Issue & Analysis. Suwon: 2013: 1-20.
- Kim SK, Jang YS, Cho HS, Cha MS. A study of determinants and indicators of happiness among Koreans. Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs 2008; 1-362.
- Saltnes SS, Storhaug K, Borge CR, Enmarker I, Willumsen T. Oral health-related quality-of-life and mental health in individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Acta Odontol Scand 2015; 73(1): 14-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/00016357.2014.935952. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016357.2014.935952
- Won YS, Park SY. Influences of health behaviors and perceived oral symptoms on subjective oral health status. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(5): 787-95. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.787. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.787
- Lee JH, Kim JS, Jun MS, Yun HK. The relationship between objective oral health conditions and subjective oral health perception of the elderly in Gimcheon. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2015; 15(3): 417-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.417. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.03.417
- Sheiham A, Steele J. Does the condition of the mouth and teeth affect the ability to eat certain foods, nutrient and dietary intake and nutritional status amongst older people?. Public Health Nutr 2001; 4(3): 797-803. http://dx.doi.org/10.1079/PHN2000116. https://doi.org/10.1079/PHN2000116
- Yang SB, Moon HS, Han DH, Lee HY, Chung MK. Oral health status and treatment need of institutionalized elderly patients. J Adv Prosthodont 2008; 46(5): 455-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455. https://doi.org/10.4047/jkap.2008.46.5.455
- Won YS, Jin KN. The relationship of oral state and health condition among elderly people. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2003; 3(2): 157-68.
- Park JY. The impact of health status of for the elderly on oral health-related of life quality. J Digital Convergence 2014; 12(5): 271-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.271. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.5.271
- Mok SA. A study on the needs of oral health services for the elderly[Master's thesis]. Kyonggi: Univ. of Anyang, 2013.
- Kim YN. Factors influencing the oral health related quality of life of Korean aged population : focused on the PRECEDE mode[Doctoral dissertation]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2012.
Supported by : 원광보건대학교