- Volume 33 Issue 7
The Split Hopkinson pressure bar (SHPB) test method, which is composed of three cylindrical bars, measuring devices and frames, is known for its reliable technique of acquiring the mechanical properties of specimens under a high strain rate. This paper demonstrates the processing of design and fabrication of SHPB. First of all, numerical analysis is applied in order to determine the design parameters of SHPB apparatus and verify the validity of design for a SHPB facility. Following this, SHPB apparatus were fabricated in accordance with acquired design parameters by simulation. In order to verify the validity of SHPB apparatus, experimental results using Al6061-T6 were compared with numerical data obtained from a corresponding simulation. The result of this comparative study demonstrates the applicability and validity of the fabricated apparatus.
기계적 물성;동적 거동;홉킨슨 봉;고 변형률 속도
- Kolsky, H., "Stress Waves in Solids," Dover, pp. 41-65, 1963.
- Hopkinson, B., "A Method of Measuring the Pressure Produced in the Detonation of High Explosives or by the Impact of Bullets," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A, Vol. 213, pp. 437-456, 1914. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1914.0010
- Staab, G. and Gilat, A., "A Direct-Tension Split Hopkinson Bar for High Strain-Rate Testing," Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 232-235, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02326065
- Lindholm, U. and Yeakley, L., "High Strain-Rate Testing: Tension and Compression," Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 1-9, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02326244
- Chung, D. T., "Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar Technique for Stress-Strain Measurement," Proc. of the Korea Society of Mechanical Engineers Spring Annual Conference, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 33-41, 1994.
- Gray, G. T., "Classic Split-Hopkinson Pressure Bar Technique ASM V8 Mechanical Testing," Materials Park, Ohio: ASM International, pp. 17-20, 1999.
- Chen, W. W. and Song, B., "Split Hopkinson (Kolsky) Bar: Design, Testing and Applications," Springer Science & Business Media, pp. 17-35, 2010.
- Lee, O. S., Park, J. S., Choi, H. B., and Kim, H. M., "Characterization of Dynamic Deformation Behavior of Al 7075-t6 at High Temperature by Using SHPB Technique," Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, Vol. 34, No. 8, pp. 981-987, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.8.981
- Tasneem, N., "Study of Wave Shaping Techniques of Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar Using Finite Element Analysis," M.Sc. Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Wichita State University, 2005.
- Marais, S. T., Tait, R. B., Cloete, T. J., and Nurick, G. N., "Material Testing at High Strain Rate Using the Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar," Latin American Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol 1, No. 3, pp. 219-339, 2004.
- Fan, X., Suo, T., Sun, Q., and Wang, T., "Dunamic Mechanical Behavior of 6061 Al Alloy at Elevated Temperatures and Different Strain Rates," Acta Mech. Solida Sinica, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 111-120, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-9166(13)60011-7
- Lang, S. M., "Design of a Split Hopkinson Bar Apparatus for Use with Fiber Reinforced Composite Materials," M.Sc. Thesis, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Master of Science, Utah State University, pp. 7-26, 2012.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국연구재단