- Volume 3 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Establishment of Resilient Infrastructures for the Mitigation of an Urban Water Problem: 1. Robustness Assessment of Structural Alternatives for the Problem of Urban Floods
도시 물 문제 저감을 위한 회복탄력적 사회기반시설 구축: 1. 도시 홍수 문제 구조적 대안의 내구성 평가
Lee, Changmin;Jung, Jihyeun;An, Jinsung;Kim, Jae Young;Choi, Yongju
- Received : 2016.04.07
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
Current cities encounter various types of water problems due to rapid urbanization and climate change. The increasing significance of urban water problems calls for the establishment of resilient alternatives to prevent and minimize social loss that results from these phenomena. As a background research for establishing resilient infrastructures for the mitigation of urban water problems, we evaluated the robustness of structural alternatives for urban flood as a representative case. Combining the robustness index (RI) and the cost index (CI), we suggested the robustness-cost index (RCI) as an indicator of the robustness of structural alternatives, and applied the index to assess the existing infrastructures and structural alternatives (i.e., sewer network expansion, additional storage tank construction, and green roof construction) at a site prone to floods located around Gangnam-station, Seoul, Korea. At a rainfall intensity frequency range of 2 to 20 years, the usage of a storage tank and a green roof showed relatively high RCI value, with a variation of an alternative showing greater RCI between the two depending on the size of design rainfall. For a rainfall intensity frequency of 30 years, installing a storage tank with some green roofing was the most resilient alternative based on the RCI value. We proposed strategies for establishing resilient infrastructures for the mitigation of urban floods by evaluating the robustness of existing infrastructures and selecting optimal structural alternatives with the consideration of scales of design disaster.
Resilience;Robustness-cost index;Structural alternative;Urban floods;Urban water problems
- Ahn, S.R., Ha, R., Yoon, S.W. and Kim, S.J. 2014. Evaluation of future turbidity water and eutrophication in Chungju-lake by climate change using CE-QUAL-W2. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 47: 145-159. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2014.47.2.145
- Bruneau, M., Chang, S.E., Eguchi, R.T., Lee, G.C., O'Rourke, T.D., Reinhorn, A.M., Shinozuka, M., Tierney, K., Wallace, W.A. and von Winterfeldt, D. 2003. A framework to quantitatively assess and enhance the seismic resilience of communities. Earthquake Spectra 19: 733-752. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1623497
- Chang, S.E. and Shinozuka, M. 2004. Measuring improvements in the disaster resilience of communities. Earthquake Spectra 20: 739-755. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1775796
- Folke, C. 2006. Resilience: The emergence of a perspective for social-ecological systems analyses. Global Environmental Change 16: 253-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2006.04.002
- Garmezy, M. 1985. Stress-resistant children: The search for protective factors. Recent Research in Developmental Psychopathology 4: 213-233.
- Holling, C.S. 1973. Resilience and stability of ecological systems. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 4: 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.04.110173.000245
- Hunter, P.R. 2003. Climate change and waterborne and vector‐borne disease. Journal of Applied Microbiology 94: 37-46. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.94.s1.5.x
- Janssen, M.A., John, M.A. and Elinor, O. 2007. Robustness of social-ecological systems to spatial and temporal variability. Society and Natural Resources 20: 307-322. https://doi.org/10.1080/08941920601161320
- Johnson, A.C. and Williams, R.J. 2004. A model to estimate influent and effluent concentrations of estradiol, estrone, and ethinyl estradiol at sewage treatment works. Environmental Science & Technology 38: 3649-3658. https://doi.org/10.1021/es035342u
- KFEM. 2013. Review Report of Publications of Gangnam-dearo Sewer Network Design. Korean Federation for Environmental Movement, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- Kim, B.I., Shin, S.C. and Kim, D.Y. 2014a. Resilience assessment of dam's flood-control service. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 34: 1919-1924. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2014.34.6.1919
- Kim, H.S., Choi, J.Y. and Shin, E.H. 2014b. Economic analysis based on the type of green roof initiatives: the case of Jung-gu Seoul. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design 30(10): 159-167. (in Korean)
- Kim, T. H., Kim, H.J. and Lee, K.J. 2011. The concept and functional objectives of the urban resilience for disaster management. Journal of the Korean Society of Safety 26: 65-70. (in Korean)
- KMOE. 2012. Drainage System Maintenance Plan against Urban Flood. National Policy Coordination Meeting. Korean Ministry of Environment, Sejong, Korea. (in Korean)
- Lee, E.S., Noh, C.W. and Sung, J.S. 2014. Meaning structure of green infrastructure - a literature review about definitions. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 42: 65-76. (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.9715/KILA.2014.42.2.065
- Nam, M.A., Jang, D.H. and Kim, H.S. 2013. A study on runoff water reduction effects according to shapes of formation of artificial soil green area in multi-housing complex. Journal of the Korea Institute of Ecological Architecture and Environment 13: 9-15 (in Korean) https://doi.org/10.12813/kieae.2013.13.1.009
- Peck, S.W. and M. Kuhn. 2003. Design Guidelines for Green Roofs. Ontario Association of Architects, Ottawa, Canada.
- Rose, A. 2007. Economic resilience to natural and man-made disasters: Multidisciplinary origins and contextual dimensions. Environmental Hazards 7: 383-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envhaz.2007.10.001
- Rutter, M. 1987. Psychosocial resilience and protective mechanisms. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 57: 316-331. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-0025.1987.tb03541.x
- Seoul. 2007. System Type Decision & Management Manual for Green Roof Building. Seoul Metropolitan Government, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- Seoul. 2015. 2020 Seoul Metropolitan City Master Plan for Water Environment Management. Seoul Metropolitan Government, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- Shin, S.J., Jung, D.Y. and Hwang, E.H. 2009. Concept analysis of resilience in patients with cardiovascular diseases. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing 39: 788-795. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.788
- SIWI. 2015. Water for Development: Charting a Water Wise Path. Stockholm International Water Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Timmerman, P. 1981. Vulnerability Resilience and Collapse of Society: A Review of Models and Possible Climatic Applications. Institute for Environmental Studies, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada.
- Vugrin, E.D. and Camphouse, R.C. 2011. Infrastructure resilience assessment through control design. International Journal of Critical Infrastructures 7: 243-260. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJCIS.2011.042994
- Vugrin, E.D., Drake, E.W., Mark, A.E. and Camphouse, R.C. 2010. A framework for assessing the resilience of infrastructure and economic systems. In, Gopalakrishnan, K. and Peeta, S. (eds.), Sustainable and Resilient Critical Infrastructure Systems, Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, New Mexico, USA. pp. 77-116.
- Woo, H.S. 2011. Prevention of urban flood due to climate change. Journal of Civil Engineering 59: 5-7. (in Korean)
- Yu, S.Y., Kim, S.W., Park, K.H., Oh, C.W., Park, D.K. and Kim, C.Y. 2012. Quantitative resilience analysis of Fiji to cyclones. Journal of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation 12: 55-63. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2012.12.2.055
- Establishment of Resilient Infrastructures for the Mitigation of an Urban Water Problem: 2. Robustness Assessment of Structural Alternatives for the Problems of Water Pollution vol.3, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17820/eri.2016.3.3.182
- Creating a Sustainable City with Low Impact Development and Green Solutions vol.3, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17820/eri.2016.3.2.077
Supported by : 한국연구재단