- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Study about Popularization of Gardening and Its Development Process in the UK - Focused on the Royal Horticultural Society in the 19th Century -
영국 정원문화의 대중화 전개 양상에 대한 연구 - 19세기 왕립원예협회(RHS)의 활동을 중심으로 -
Cho, Hye-Ryeong;Sung, Jong-Sang
- Received : 2016.05.12
- Accepted : 2016.06.21
- Published : 2016.06.30
RHS is a core organization with huge influences on the expansion of the base for the garden culture and industry. This study aimed to examine the meaning and value of the professional charity's role through the appearance background and developmental process of RHS. The passion for plant collection in the Victorian Age of the
Plant Hunter;Gardening Press;Middle Class Women Gardener;Flower Show;Cottage Garden
- Benson, W.(2012) Kingdom of Plants: A Journey through Their Evolution, Harper Collins Publisher Ltd, 37-43.
- Campbell, K.(2014) British Gardens in Time, Frances Lincoln Limited. pp. 92-153.
- Davidoff, L and C. Hall(2002) Family Fortunes: Men and Women of the English Middle Calss, 1780-1850, 2nd edn, London: Routledge.
- Dewis, S.(2014) The Loudons and the Gardening Press. Ashgate Publishing Limited.
- Edinburgh Review(2000) The Transactions of the Horticultural Society of London. Vol 1, 2 & 3, Bell & Howell Information and Learning Company.
- Elliot, B.(2014) RHS Chelsea Flower Show: The First 100 years, 1913-2013. London: Frances Lincoln.
- Elliott, B.(1994) Treasure of the Royal Horticultural Society. The Herbert Press Ltd.
- Endersby, J.(2008) Imperial Nature. The University of Chicago Press.
- Engels, F.(1988) The Condition of the Working Class in England, Park J. S., Jeon B. Y., Cho H. R., Translated. Seoul: Doseochulpan DooRey.
- Fox, K.(2010) Watching the English. Translated by Kwon, S. H., Seoul: Hakgojei.
- Francis, Mark and Jr. Randolf T. Hester(1990) The Garden as Idea, Place and Action. The Meaning of Gardens. Mass: The MIT Press.
- Goodman, G. and C. Mathieson Edited(2014) Gender and Space in Rural Britain, 1840-1920. London: Pickering & Chatto Limited.
- Gothein, J. W.(1928) A History of Garden Art vol. 2. Translated by Archer Hind. London: J. M. Dent & Sons Limited.
- Harrison, L.(2012) Latin for Garners. The University of Chicago Press.
- Helmreish, A.(2002) The English Garden and National Identity: The Competing Style of Garden Design, 1870-1914. Cambridge University Press.
- Hobhouse, P. translated by J. H. Choi, S. J. Yoon and J. H. Ko(2015) Garden History of Western. Seoul: Deaga, pp.414-442.
- Hobhouse, P.(2004) Plants in Garden History, Pavilion Books. pp.222-255.
- Hunt, J. D.(2012) World of Gardens. London: Reaktion Books Ltd.
- Hwang, J. Y.(2014) Urban Parks as Modern Invention of London and Paris in Nineteen Century. Ph. D. Dissertation, Seoul National University. Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, M. H.(1998) Commercialization and Religious Materialism in 19th Century. Seoul: Seoul National University Press.
- Lasdun, S.(1991) The English Park. London: Andre Doutsch.
- Lee, N. R.(2015) Study on the Change of Rural Home Garden and Residents' Cognitions in the Urban Context. Chonnam National University, MS. Thesis. Korea.
- McDowell, L.(1983) Toward an Understanding of the Gender Division of Urban Spaces, Environment and Planning D: Society and Space.
- Owen, J.(2004) Gardens through Time: Celebrate 200 Years of Gardening with the Royal Horticultural Society. BBC Books.
- Quest-Ritson, C.(2003) The English Garden. Boston: David R. Godine.
- RHS Catalog(2015) The RHS Plant Hunter Journals.
- Ryu, Y. J. and D. G. Cho(2015) A study on comparing traditional garden and modern garden for developing garden culture of Korea. Journal of Korea Institute of Spatial Design 10(5): 113-124.
- Sim, J. Y.(2015) Examination of urban gardening as an everydayness in urban residential area, Heabangchon. J. of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 43(2): 1-12.
- Yoon, S. J.(2008) Flower Show and Garden Culture in UK. Paju: Tree City.
- Yoon, S. J.(2014) Support and management trend for garden culture: Focused on GHS, RHS, NT in UK. 2nd Studies of Garden Symposium.