- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Sustainable Outdoor Design Strategies and Assessment System through Analysis of SITES Certified Projects
미국 외부공간 친환경 인증(SITES) 사례분석을 통한 친환경 조성기법 및 평가체계 연구
- Received : 2016.04.28
- Accepted : 2016.06.21
- Published : 2016.06.30
While many assessment systems for buildings and indoor environment have been created with increasing interest in sustainable development, assessments for sustainable landscaping and outdoor environments have received less attention. Recently, the Sustainable Site Initiatives(SITES) was developed in the USA in order to evaluate and certify sustainable landscape design projects. The purposes of this study are to analyze sustainable landscape strategies and to review the certification system through case studies of SITES certified projects. Three certified projects in Texas were selected and literature review, site visits and interview were conducted. The results indicated that various sustainable and practical strategies were applied including soil preservation, use of native plants and recycled materials, and water harvesting. Also, SITES has benefits to encourage an integrated design process, community participation, and environmental education for the public. This suggests that a certification system for landscaping and outdoor environments needs to be developed to ensure sustainable site development, which helps extend the roles of the landscape architecture profession in sustainable design.
Sustainable Site Initiatives;Environment-friendly Landscape Strategies;Sustainable Certification System
- Choi, Y., B. H. Song and B. Y. Ynag(2007) A study on the improvement and application of environmentally-friendly factors at outdoor spaces in apartment complexes. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 35: 37-49.
- Green Business Certification(2014) SITES V2 Rating System For Sustainable Land Design and Development.
- Han, S. A. and S. W. Kim(2011) A study on the application characteristics of environment-friendly design guidelines at outdoor spaces in apartment complexes - Focused on Turn-Key Projects of Han River New Town Construction Architectural Institute of Korea 27(4): 33-43.
- Huber, K.(2014) Conservation innovation CypresswoodWater Conservation Garden shows how to plant to save water. Houston Chronicle. 2014. 04. 18.
- Kaul, G.(2012) What's inside the Perot Museum, The Dallas Morning News. 2012.11.16.
- Lee, H. S.(2015) A study on assessment items of outdoor environment through analysis of sites. Korea Institute of Ecological Architecture and Environment 14(4): 5-13.
- Lee, K. I. and M. S. Kim(2008) A study on the preliminary assessment indicators for the development of external spaces of ecological housing complexes through practicing architects survey. Architectural Institute of Korea 24(7): 193-202.
- Park, C. H., M. W. Oh and B. S. Kim(2009) A comparative analysis study of green building certification criteria - Focusing on the site and environment. The Korean Solar Energy Society 09(11): 324-329.
- Sarte, S. B.(2010) Sustainable Infrastructure: The Guide to Green Engineering and Design. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Seong, S. T., S. E. Yu and S. W. Yang(2012) Open space design for certificated green apartment housing. Urban Design Institute of Korea 13(3): 83-92.
- Son, P. S. and D. H. Song(2013) Study on the characteristics of environment-friendly planning technique in New town apartment complex - Focused on Haundae New town development. Journal of the Regional Association 15(5): 45-54.
- Yoon, Y. H., J. H. Kim and S. D. Kim(2011) Change of ecological environment sector based on the comparative analysis of revision green building certification standards in apartment housing. The Seoul Institute 12(1): 17-31.
Supported by : 가천대학교