- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Comparative Study on 「Yanghwasorok」 and 『Zhangwuzhi』 - Focused on the Taste of Plants in Scholar's Garden, Korea and China -
「양화소록(養花小錄)」과 『장물지(長物志)』 화목류에 나타난 문인원림 취미 비교
Park, Hee-Soung;Yun, Jia-Yan
- Received : 2016.05.30
- Accepted : 2016.06.24
- Published : 2016.06.30
The present study aimed to understand the taste of literati appearing in the Korean-Chinese garden by comparing "Yanghwasorok(養花小錄)" and "Zhangwuzhi(長物志)", which are one of the representative gardens in Korea and China. The main subject of comparison is plants; the research results are as follows. First, Gang Hui-an stated that the ultimate purpose of growing and appreciating the gardening plants is the completion of oneself, while Wen Zhen-heng(文震亨) used gardening plants as a means to practice a life of reclusiveness(隱逸). Second, Gang Hui-an claimed that growing plants is human's cultivation of virtue on the basis of Confucian view's gaining knowledge by the study of things(格物致知), whereas Wen Zhen-heng realized the taste of 'elegance(雅趣)' through form of plants or planting method. Third, although plant preference of literati of both countries is similar in many parts, there is a slight difference for putting gardening plants in pots and appreciating them. For example, even for selecting or placing pots, simplicity and lightness are characteristically reflected from Gang Hui-an while splendor and refinedness are characteristically shown from Wen Zhen-heng. Moreover, in light of the taste of appreciation of literati of the Song Dynasty(宋代), which is a sample of literati spirit, Gang Hui-an inherited the inner world of the spirit whereas Wen Zhen-heng expressed 'literati-ness' in visual images.
Neo-Confucianism;Gaining Knowledge by the Study of Things;Elegance;Reclusiveness;Appreciation
- Cao, Y. Y.(1933) Wuxianzhi(吳縣志). Suzhou Wenxin Press.
- Chen, Y. H., H. S. Shin, W. H. Lee, D. H. Kim and U. Y. Cho(2014) The impact of Jangmulki compiled by Mun, jin-hyung & Imwonkyungjaeji compiled by Seo, yu-gu on the garden of gentry in late Joseon. The Proceeding of 2014 Autumn Conference on Korean Contents. pp.127-128.
- Chen, Z.(1984) Zhangwuzhi. Jiangsukexuejishuchubanshe(江蘇科學技術出版社). Wen, Z. H. Zhangwuzhi(長物志).
- Cheng, F. W. chief editor(1995). Meixuefanchoucidian(美學範疇辭典). Zhongguorenmindaxuechubanshe(中國人民大學出版社).
- Clunas, C.(1996) Fruitful Sites: garden culture in Ming dynasty China. Resktion Books.
- Encyclopedia of Korean Culture. http://encykorea.aks.ac.kr/ Accessed in 2016. 5.
- Gang, G. B. and H. G. Chen trans(1997) The Culture of Hermit in China. Dongmunsun. Ma, H. and Z. H. Chen, The Culture of Hermit in China(中國隱士文化).
- Gang, H. M.(1473) Jinsansego(晋山世稿). Jinjugangssi mullyanggongpa jongjung Jinsansego compile(2003). Gugyeok Jinsansego.
- Gu, L.(2014) Tayingyuanji(塔影園集). East China Normal University Press.
- Han, S. I.(2015) A study on the feelings as cognitive subject - Mainly Zhu Xi's theory of Gewuzhizhi(格物致知). Inmunhagyeongu(인문학연구) 50: 309-336.
- Jiang, K. Y. chief editor(1996) Zhongguoxueshumingzhetiyao(中國學術名著提要), Yishujuan(藝術卷). Fudan University Press.
- Kang, K. R. and K. C. Lee(2009) Considerations on th concept of Yangwha for Sadeabu Kang, Hee-An in early Chosun Dynasty. Journal of the Korean Institute of Traditional Landscape Architecture 27(3): 1-8.
Kang, S. G.(1988) A study on the <
>(養花小錄) by Kang, Hee-An(姜希顔). Hanguksayeongu(韓國史硏究) 60: 37-56.
- Kim, H.(2007) Philosophical discussion about Yanghwa-Sorok. Journal of Eastern Philosophy 52: 329-354.
- Kim, J. S.(2013) The Scholar's inner world appeared on Zhangwuzhi in the late of Ming Dynasty. Joonggukhaklonchong(중국학논총) 42: 133-156.
- Kim, S. Y.(2014) Study of Goryeo Celadon Flowerpot. Master's Thesis of Hongik University.
- Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies. http://e-kyujanggak.snu.ac.kr/ Accessed in 2016. 5.
- Lee, B. H. trans(1974) Yanghuasorok. Euryumunhwasa. Kang, H. A. Yanghwasorok(養花小錄).
- Lee, H. C.(2004) An annotated agriculture book: The way of addicting flower and tree in YanghwaSorok of 15C. Korean Journal of Agricultural History 3(1): 159-163.
- Lee, J. M. trans(2012) Yanghwasorok. Aka-net. Kang, H. A. Yanghwasorok(養花小錄).
- Lee, J. S.(2010) Analysis of Historical and Material Characteristics of Bonsai in Goryeo and Joseon Dynasty. Ph.D's Thesis. of Yeungnam University.
- Li, Y.(2010) A Study on Superfluous Things about Gardens and Residence Theory and Its Cultural Meaning. Ph.D Thesis of Beijing Forestry University.
- Moon, Y. R.(2011) A study on the spirit of floral art appeared on Gang Hee-An's Yang-hwa-so-rok. Journal of the Korean Society of Floral Art & Design 25: 35-53.
- Ren, L. H.(2010) A Comparative Study on the Theory of Chinese Garden Literature: "Yuanye" and "Superfluous Things(長物志)". Master's Thesis of Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture. China.
- Seo, Y. H. and G. R. Lee trans.(2012) Yanghuasorok. Nurwa. Kang, H. A. Yanghwasorok(養花小錄).
- Seongjongsillok(成宗實錄). http://sillok.history.go.kr/ Accessed in 2016. 5.
- Shi, C. Y.(2015) The development trend of garden culture aspects Zhangwuzhi and Xianqingouji(閑情偶寄) in Ming and Qing Dynasty. Journal of Suzhou University of Science and Technology 33(3): 54-59.
- Tian, J.(2014) On the Aesthetics of Everday Life in Treatise on Superfluous Things. Ph.D Thesis of East China Normal University.
- Tong, S. L.(1994) The development of Jiangnanyuanlin(江南園林) and its aesthetics during the Late Ming Dynasty and the Early Qing Dynasty. Xinmeishu(新美術) 4: 26-31.
- Wang, Y. H.(1992) Wen Zhenheng and the review of Zhangwuzhi. Chinese Landscape Architecture(中國園林) 8(1): 47-52.
- Wen, H.(1929) Jiangsusuzhouwenshizupuxuji(江蘇蘇州文氏族譜續集), Lishidizhaifangbiaozhi(曆世第宅坊表志), Suzhouqushijinglushikeben(蘇州曲石精廬石刻本).
- Xie, H. and H. Q. Chen(2010) The thought on aesthetics of Zhang Wu Zhi. Art Education July: 125.
- Xie, H.(2010) Landscape Idea of Treatise on Superfluous Things. Ph.D's Thesis. Wuhan University of Technology.
- Yang, M. W.(2014) Aesthetic impression appeared on Zhangwuzhi and it's contemporary characteristic. DAZHONGWENYI(The Mass of Literature and Art) 18: 262-263.
- Yu, Y. B.(2000) The Goryeo literati's taste for flowering plant and a painting in the literary artist's style. Hanmunhakbo(한문학보) 3: 3-36.
- Yuan, Y. C.(2006) The investigation of the self-financing of the Literati association in Late Ming Dynasty. Journal of Jiangxi Institute of Education(Comprehensive) 27: 115-118.
- Zhang, F.(2000) Zhongguomeixueshi(中國美學史). Shanghairenminchubanshe(上海人民出版社).
- Zhao, J. compile(2010) Zhangwuzhi. Gold Wall Press. Wen Z. H. Zangwuzhi(長物志).
Supported by : 한국연구재단