- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of Multi-Purpose Containers for Managing LLW/VLLW from D&D
제염해체 방사성폐기물 관리를 위한 다목적 용기의 개발
- Received : 2015.12.18
- Accepted : 2016.02.24
- Published : 2016.06.30
Radioactive waste container designs should comply with the requirements for safety (i.e., transportation, storage, disposal) and other criteria such as economics and technology. These criteria are also applicable to the future management of the large amount of LLW and VLLW to arise from decontamination and decommissioning (D&D) of nuclear power plants, which have different features compared to that of wastes from operation and maintenance (O&M). This paper proposes to develop a set of standard containers of multi-purpose usage for transportation, storage and disposal. The concepts of the containers were optimized for management of D&D wastes in consideration of national system for radioactive waste management, in particular the Gyeongju Repository and associated infrastructures. A set of prototype containers were designed and built : a soft bag for VLLW, two metallic containers for VLLW/LLW (a standard IP2 container for sea transport and ISO container for road transport). Safety analyses by simulation and tests of these designs show they are in compliance with the regulatory requirements. A further development of a container with concrete is foreseen for 2016.
Radioactive waste;LLW and VLLW;Standard ISO containers;D&D waste
- International Atomic Energy Agency, "Classification of Radioactive Waste", General Safety Guide, IAEA Safety Standards Series No. GSG-1, Vienna (2009).
- M. Sanchez and P. A. Miskimin, "Soft-sided Packaging for Low-Activity Radioactive Wastes", Nuclear Decommissioning Report, June 16, 2011 (Accessed on 31 May 2016, Available from : http://ndreport.com/soft-sidedpackaging-for-low-activity-radioactive-wastes-2/).
- M. C. Janicki and R. A. Vaughan, "The Development of ISO Freight Containers as IP-2 Packagings", Proceedings of the PATRAM 92, Paper 20-4 (1992).
- L. Ehn, V. Michal, and A. Pekar, "Management of LLW from Underground Tank of NPP A-1 in Slovakia - Retrieval, Treatment, Transport and Disposal", Proceedings of the WM'05 Conference, Tucson, Arizona (2005).
- Graham Beaven, "Delivery Highlight of Concrete HHISOs" in National Programme Update - Delivery Overview Group (March 2014) (Accessed on 31 May 2016, Available from : http://llwrsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/March-2014-DOG-Presentations.pdf)
- United States Department of Transportation, "Ultra- High Performance Concrete: A State-of-the-Art Report for the Bridge Community", USDOT Publication No. FHWA-HRT-13-060 (2013).
- Woo-Geun Lee, "A thousand drums of radwaste moved from Uljin to Gyeongju by Chengjeong nuri" Uljin News Jan. 3, 2011 (in Korean), (Accessed on 31 May 2016, Available from : http://www.uljinnews.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=10168)
- Korea Radioactive Waste Management Society, Proceedings of Radioactive Waste and Spent Fuel Management Policy Seminar, INTEC Auditorium, KAERI, Daejeon, Korea (2015).
- KONES Corporation, "Development of Standard Metal and Concrete Containers for Packaging D&D Wastes", 2nd Year Report to KETEP (2015).
- PT&C (Project Time and Cost International LLC), "Development of Standard Containers for Very Low Level (VLLW) and Low Level Waste (LLW) Management - Packaging, Transport, and Disposal of PWR D&D Materials", Report to KONES Corporation (2014).
- International Standard Organization, ISO 1496-1 "Freight Containers - Specification and Testing" Part 1- General Cargo Containers for General Purpose (2013).
- J-F Batoz, M. Behloul, "UHPFRC development on the last two decades: An overview", Proceedings of the UHPFRC2009, Marseille, France (2009).
- Young-Jin Kim, Sung-Yong Park, Jong-Sup Park, and Byung-Suk Kim, "State-of-the-art of UHPC Applications in the World" (in Korean), KICT Newsletter- Vol. 61, No. 2 (2013).
Supported by : Korea Energy Technology Evaluation Program (KETEP)