- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Preliminary Analyses of the Deep Geoenvironmental Characteristics for the Deep Borehole Disposal of High-level Radioactive Waste in Korea
고준위 방사성폐기물 심부시추공 처분을 위한 국내 심부지질 환경특성 예비분석
- Received : 2015.11.24
- Accepted : 2016.04.05
- Published : 2016.06.30
Spent fuels from nuclear power plants, as well as high-level radioactive waste from the recycling of spent fuels, should be safely isolated from human environment for an extremely long time. Recently, meaningful studies on the development of deep borehole radioactive waste disposal system in 3-5 km depth have been carried out in USA and some countries in Europe, due to great advance in deep borehole drilling technology. In this paper, domestic deep geoenvironmental characteristics are preliminarily investigated to analyze the applicability of deep borehole disposal technology in Korea. To do this, state-of-the art technologies in USA and some countries in Europe are reviewed, and geological and geothermal data from the deep boreholes for geothermal usage are analyzed. Based on the results on the crystalline rock depth, the geothermal gradient and the spent fuel types generated in Korea, a preliminary deep borehole concept including disposal canister and sealing system, is suggested.
Geoenvironment;Characteristics;Deep borehole disposal(DBD);Spent fuels;High level waste;Application
- P. V. Brady, B. W. Arnold, and P. N. Swift, Deep Borehole Disposal of High-Level Radioactive Waste, SAND2009-4401, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM. (2009).
- J.Y. Lee, G.Y. Kim, D. B. Bae, H.J. Choi, and K. S. Kim, "An Analysis on the Borehole Spacing of Deep Borehole Disposal of HLW", 2015 International High-Level Radioactive Waste Management, Charleston, SC (2015).
- National Academy of Sciences(NAS), "The Disposal of Radioactive Waste on Land". http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php 10294 (1957).
- B. W. Arnold, P. V. Brady,and S. Pye, Reference Design and Operations for Deep Borehole Disposal of High-Level Radioactive Waste, SAND2011-6749, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM. (2011).
- Blue Ribbon Commission, Blue Ribbon Commission on America's Nuclear Future; Report to the Secretary of Energy (2012).
- B. W. Arnold, P. Vaughn, R. MacKinnon, and P. V. Brady, Research, Development, and Demonstration Roadmap for Deep Borehole Disposal, US DOE, FCRD-USED-2012-000269 (2012).
- Svensk Karnbranslehantering AB(SKB), Project on Alternative Systems Study (PASS) Final Report, SKB TR93-04 (1993).
- Svensk Karnbranslehantering AB(SKB), Very deep hole concept, Thermal effects on groundwater flow, SKB R06-59 (2006).
- Svensk Karnbranslehantering AB(SKB), Jamforelse mellan KBS-3-metoden och deponering i djupa borrhål for slutligt omhandertagande av anvant karnbransle, SKB Report R-19-13 (2010).
- Svensk Karnbranslehantering AB(SKB), Modelling of thermally driven groundwater flow in a facility for disposal of spent nuclear fuel in deep boreholes, P-13-10 (2013).
- Elsam/Elkraft, "Disposal of High-level Waste from Nuclear Power Plants in Denmark Salt Dome Investigations", 5 vols. ELSAM Frederica, Denmark and ELKRAFT Baler, Denmark (1981).
- H. M. Montfrans, "Research program on geological disposal of radioactive waste in the Netherlands. In: Geological problems in radioactive waste isolation - A worldwide review", Proceedings of the 28th International Geological Congress, 103-114, Washington (1989).
- United Kingdom Nirex Limited(NIREX), A Review of the Deep Borehole Disposal Concept for Radioactive Waset, Nirex report no. N/108, Oxfordshire, UK (2004).
- F. Gibb, N.A. McTaggart, K.P. Travis, D. Burley, and K.W. Hesketh, "High-density support matrices: Key to the deep borehole disposal of spent nuclear fuel", Journal of Nuclear Materials, 370-377 (2008).
- Korea Institute of Geoscience And Mineral Resource (KIGAM), Development of deep, low-enthalpy geothermal energy, KIGAM, OAA2003001-2006 (2006).
- Korea Institute of Geoscience And Mineral Resource (KIGAM), Development of Exploitation Technologies for Geothermal Resources, GP2007-002-03-2 (2008).
- Hanjin D&B, Demonstration of Drilling Technology for Enhanced Geothermal System (2013).
- K. Y. Kim, "Current Status and Perspectives in Drilling Technology for Enhanced Geothermal System", KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering Volume 59(9), 16-25 (2011).
- Korea Atomic Energy research Institute (KAERI), Geological Disposal of Pyroprocessed Waste from PWR Spent Nuclear Fuel in Korea, KAERI/TR-4525/2011 (2011).
- D. k. Cho, S. K. Yoon, H. J. Choi, and W. I. Ko, "Reference spent nuclear fuel for pyro-processing facility design", J. of the Korean Radioactive Waste Society, Vol. 6(3), 225-232 (2008).
- The Status and Outlook of High-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal in Deep Borehole Focusing on Behavior of Large-Diameter Deep Borehole vol.54, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12972/ksmer.2017.54.4.377
- Preliminary Evaluation of Domestic Applicability of Deep Borehole Disposal System vol.16, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7733/jnfcwt.2018.16.4.491