- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Conceptual Design of a Cover System for the Degmay Uranium Tailings Site
Degmay 우라늄광산 폐기물 부지 복원을 위한 복토층 개념설계
Saidov, Vaysidin;Kessel, David S.;Kim, Chang-Lak
바이시딘 사이도프;데이빗 케슬;김창락
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.22
- Published : 2016.06.30
The Republic of Tajikistan has ten former uranium mining sites. The total volume of all tailings is approximately 55 million tonnes, and the covered area is more than 200 hectares. The safe management of legacy uranium mining and tailing sites has become an issue of concern. Depending on the performance requirements and site-specific conditions (location in an arid, semiarid or humid region), a cover system for uranium tailings sites could be constructed using several material layers using both natural and man-made materials. The purpose of this study is to find a feasible cost-effective cover system design for the Degmay uranium tailings site which could provide a long period (100 years) of protection. The HELP computer code was used in the evaluation of potential Degmay cover system designs. As a result of this study, a cover system with 70 cm thick percolation layer, 30 cm thick drainage layer, geomembrane liner and 60 cm thick barrier soil layer is recommended because it minimizes cover thickness and would be the most cost-effective design.
Cover system;Uranium tailings sites;Remediation;Percolation;HELP code
- International Atomic Energy Agency. Safe Management of Residues from Former Mining and Milling Activities in Central Asia, IAEA Report (2009).
- N. Khakimov, K.M. Nazarov, and I.U. Mirsaidov, Physico-Chemical and Manufacturing Basis for Uranium Concentrates Production from Wastes of Hydrometallurigical Plants and Technical Waters, 2nd ed., Dushanbe (2012).
- International Atomic Energy Agency. Assessment and Proposals for Uranium Production Legacy Sites in Central Asia: An International Approach, IAEA Report (2010).
- International Atomic Energy Agency. The Long Term Stabilization of Uranium Mill Tailings, IAEA Report, IAEA-TECDOC-1403 (2004).
- P.R. Schroeder, T.S. Dozier, P.A. Zappi, B.M. McEnroe, J.W. Sjostrom, and R.L. Peyton. The Hydrologic Evaluation of Landfill Performance (HELP) Model: Engineering Documentation for Version 3, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Report, EPA/600/R-94/168b (1994).
Supported by : Korea Foundation of Nuclear Safety (KOFONS)