- Volume 16 Issue 3
Purpose: This study aimed at developing an artificial neural network (ANN) model to predict the optimal start moment of the setback temperature during the normal occupied period of a building. Method: For achieving this objective, three major steps were conducted: the development of an initial ANN model, optimization of the initial model, and performance tests of the optimized model. The development and performance testing of the ANN model were conducted through numerical simulation methods using transient systems simulation (TRNSYS) and matrix laboratory (MATLAB) software. Result: The results analysis in the development and test processes revealed that the indoor temperature, outdoor temperature, and temperature difference from the setback temperature presented strong relationship with the optimal start moment of the setback temperature; thus, these variables were used as input neurons in the ANN model. The optimal values for the number of hidden layers, number of hidden neurons, learning rate, and moment were found to be 4, 9, 0.6, and 0.9, respectively, and these values were applied to the optimized ANN model. The optimized model proved its prediction accuracy with the very storing statistical correlation between the predicted values from the ANN model and the simulated values in the TRNSYS model. Thus, the optimized model showed its potential to be applied in the control algorithm.
- Moon J.W., Han S., Thermostat strategies impact on energy consumption in residential buildings, Energy and Buildings, Vol 43, 2011.
- Manning M.M., Swinton M.C., Szadkowski F, Gusdorf J., Ruest K., The effect of thermostat set-back and set-up on seasonal energy consumption, surface temperatures and recovery times at the CCHT Twin House Facility, ASHRAE Transactions, Vol. 113, 2007.
- Ingersol J.l, Huang J., Heating energy use management in residential buildings by temperature control, Energy and Buildings, Vol 8, 1985.
- Beckey Y., Nelson L.W., Field test of energy savings with thermostat setback, ASHRAE Journal, Vol 23, 1981.
- Nelson L.W., Ward M.A., Energy savings through thermostat setback, ASHRAE Journal, Vol 9, 1978.
- Nelson L.W., MacArthur J.W., Energy Savings through Thermostat Set-back, ASHRAE Transactions, Vol 83, 1977.
- Rosenfeld A.H., Notes on residential fuel use: Thermostat and window management, Energy and Buildings, Vol 1, 1977.
- Nelson L.W., Reducing fuel consumption with night setback, ASHRAE Journal, Vol 15, 1973.
- McCulloch W., Pitts W., A Logical Calculus of Ideas Immanent in Nervous Activity, The Bulletin of Mathematical Biophysics, Vol 5, 1943.
- Moon J.W., Kim J.J., ANN-based thermal control methods for residential buildings, Building and Environment 45, Vol, 2010.
- Kalogirou S.A., Neocleous C.C., Schizas C.N., Building Heating Load Estimation Using Artificial Neural Networks, In: Proceedings of the International Conference "CLIMA 2000". Brussels (Belgium), 2003.
- Shin K.W., Lee Y.S., The study on cooling load forecast of an unit building using neural networks, International Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration, Vol 11, 2003.
- Moon J.W., Jung S.K., Kim Y., Han S., Comparative study of artificial intelligence-based building thermal control methods - Application of fuzzy, adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system, and artificial neural network, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol 31, 2011.
- Moon J.W., Performance of ANN-based predictive and adaptive thermal control methods for disturbances in and around residential buildings, Building and Environment, Vol 48, 2011.
- Morel N., Bauer M., El-Khoury M., Krauss J., NEUROBAT, a predictive and adaptive heating control system using artificial neural networks, International Journal of Solar Energy, Vol 21, 2001.
- Ben-Nakhi A.E., Mahmoud M.A., Energy conservation in buildings through efficient A/C control using neural networks, Applied Energy, Vol 73, 2002.
- Argiriou S.S., Bellas-Velidis I., Kummert M., Andre P., A neural network controller for hydronic heating systems of solar buildings, Neural Networks, Vol 17, 2004.
- Abbassi A., Bahar L., Application of neural network for the modeling and control of evaporative condenser cooling load, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol 25, 2005.
- Ruano A.E., Crispim E.M., Conceicao E.Z.E., Lucio M.M. Jr, Prediction of building's temperature using neural networks models, Energy and Buildings, Vol 38, 2006.
- Yang I., Kim K., Prediction of the time of room air temperature descending for heating systems in buildings, Building and Environment, Vol 39, 2004).
- Moon J.W., Kim K., Min H., ANN-Based Prediction and Optimization of Cooling System in Hotel Rooms, Energies, Vol 8, 2015.
- Moon J.W., Lee J., Yoon Y., Kim S., Determining optimum control of double skin envelope for indoor thermal environment based on artificial neural network, Energy and Buildings, Vol 69, 2014.
- University of Wisconsin, TRNSYS16.1, Available from: http://sel.me.wisc.edu/trnsys/. 2015-10.
- MathWorks, MATLAB 14, vol. 26, Available from: http://www.mathworks.com. 2014-11.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 서일대학교