- Volume 4 Issue 2
Purpose. The purpose of this study was to investigate knowledge, stress and nursing performance about care for delirium in geriatric hospital nurses. Methods. For this study, data were collected from 242 nurses employed at geriatric hospitals with the capacity of more than 100 beds which were located in A, P and Y cites. Frequency analysis, t-test and one-way ANOVA were utilized to analyze the data and Scheffe test was used to conduct post-hoc tests. Results. Nurses showed significant differences in the level of Knowledge, as well as terminal care performance by marital status, nursing experience. A significant relationship was found between knowledge, stress and Delirium care performance. Conclusion. This study found nurses perform delirium care with a high level of stress but with insuffiecient understanding, and thus, showed great needs for related training. Such findings can be useful to develop educational programs to improve knowledge on delirium and plans to reduce stress from delirium for geriatric hospital nurses.
- Lewis LM, Miller DK, Morley JE, Nork MJ, Lasater LC. Unrecognized delirium in ED geriatric patients. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 1995;13(2):142-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/0735-6757(95)90080-2
- Roberts BL. Managing delirium in adult intensive care patient. Critical Care Nurse, 2001;21(1):48-55.
- Ely Ew, Inouye SK, Bernard GR, Gordon S, Francis J, May L, et al. Delirium in mechanically ventilated patients: validity and reliability of the onfusion assessment method ofr the intensive care unit(CAM-ICU). JAMA Internal Medicine, 2001;286(21):2703-2710.
- McCusker J, Cole M, Abrahamowicz M, Primeau F, Belzile E. Delirium predicts 12-month mortality. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2002;162(4):457-463. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.162.4.457
- Kim JL. The epidemiology of delirium. Korean Journal of Psychosomatic Medicine. 2008;16(2):81-86.
- Alagiakrishnan K, Wiens CA. An approach to drug induced delirium in the elderly. Postgraduate Medical Journal, 2004;80(945):388-393. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2003.017236
- Boyle DA. Delirium in order adults with cancer:implications for pracitice and research. Oncology Nursing Forum, 2006;33(1):61-78. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.61-78
- Yang YH. Prevalence and precipitating factors for delirium in elderly patients admitted to long-term care hospitals or to general hospital. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, 2010;17(1):26-34.
- Weddington WW. The mortality of delirium:AN underappreciated problem:Psychosomatics, 1982;23:1232-1235. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0033-3182(82)73269-4
- Spronk PE, Riekerk B, Hofhuis J, Rommers JH. Occurrence of delirium is severely underestimated in the ICU during daly care. Intensive Care Medicine, 2009;35(7):40-48.
- Marshall MC, Soucy MD. Delirim in the intensive care unit. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, 2003;26(3):172-178. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002727-200307000-00002
- Saxena s, Lawley D. Delirium in the elderly: a clinical review. Postgraduate Medical Journal, 2009;85:405-413. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2008.072025
- Inouye SK. Delirium in older persons. New Egland Journal of Medicine, 2006;354:1157-1165. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra052321
- Lepouse C, Lautner CA, Liu L, Gomis P, Leon A. Emergence delirium in adults in the postanaesthesia care unit. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 2006;96(6):747-753. https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/ael094
- Jun IA, Jung DY. Recovery room nurses knowledge and stress of emergence delirium. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, 2014;20(2):256-266.
- Milbrandt EB, Deppen S, Harrison PL, Shintani AK, Speroff T, Stiles RA, et at. Costs associated with delirium in mechnically ventilated patients. Criticla Care Medicine, 2004;32(4):955-962. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.CCM.0000119429.16055.92
- Lee YH, Im HB, Jeong EJ, Ma HS. Influencing factors of the incidence of delirium in elderly patients with arthroplasty. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 2012;24(4):348-357. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.4.348
- Suh HJ, Yoo YS. Intensive care unit nurse's knowledge, nursing performance, and stress about delirium. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 2007;19(1):55-65.
- Kim MY, Eun Y. Knowledge, performance and stress about care for delirium in orthopedic hospital nurses. Journal Joint Health, 2013;20(1):72-80.
- Im CS, Cha SM, Kim JH, Lee JM, Kim JL. Retrospective study on the development and outcome of delirium in elderly in patient. Journal of the Korean Society of Biological Therapies in Psychiatry, 2012;18(2):186-193.
- Lee YH, Kim CG, Kong ES, Kim KB, Kim NC, Kim HK, et al. A study of nurses'knowledge level and assessment experience of delirium. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 2007;19(1):35-44.
- Kim YT, ICU nurse's stressors and the relationship between the degree of social support. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, 1989.
- Seo HJ. Intensive care unit nurse's knowledge, nursing performance, and stress about delirium. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University, 2006.
- Cho GL. ICU nurses' knowledge and nursing performance of intensive care unit syndrome. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans Unniversity, 2001.
- Oh JM. The association of knowledge on delirium with nursing performance and education needs. Unpublished master's thesis, The Catholic University, 2015.
- Kim KH, Kho DH, Shin JY, Choi JY, Kin ES, Kim DH. Risk factors of postoperative delirium in elderly patients with hip fractures. Journal of the Korean Fracture Society, 2008;21(3):189-194. https://doi.org/10.12671/jkfs.2008.21.3.189
- Robertson BD, Robertson TJ. Postoperative delirium after hip fracture. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 2006;88(9):2060-2068. https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.F.00049