- Volume 24 Issue 3
As a solemn and serious uniform, military uniform can be differentiated easily from any other clothing in the aspects of color, material and style. Inspired by military uniform, fashion designers have been applying military uniform elements into modern fashion design in recent years, which helps to bring military uniform from the trench onto international fashion runway. The primary method of this research is theory analysis method and exampling study method. Based on the collected materials of modern military uniform, this paper takes the fashion and cultural study theory of the famous American scholar Susan B. Kaiser as the leading theory to analyze four subject positions embodied in military uniform, including nation, rank, gender and time and space. By analyzing the subject positions embodied in military uniform, it shows the rich cultural connotation of military uniform and the function of various small details. Meanwhile, by giving specific examples, this paper explores the influences of military uniform on modern fashion design in respect to color, style, material, pattern and accessory. Through the conduct of this research, it comes to the conclusion that military uniform also has the characteristics and properties described in the fashion and cultural theory of Susan B. Kaiser, in addition, designers can be inspired by every specific object around them, which shows the talents of designers.
military uniform;subject position;modern fashion design
- Bao, L. (2008). The elements of military uniform using in fashion design. Journal of Wuhan University of Science and Engineering, 2008(3), 42-46.
- Chen, C. (2012). The representation of military elements in women's fashion. Journal of Huangshi Institute of Technology (Humanities and Social Sciences), 2012(1), 69-72.
- Kaiser, S. B. (2012). Fashion and cultural studies. New York: Berg.
- Shi, Y., & Dan, M. (2015). Fashion, gender and sexuality: on fashion and cultural studies by Susan B. Kaiser. Art and Design, 2015(5), 65-67.
- Song, Y. (2012). The element of military uniform using in modern fashion design. Shandong Textile Economy. 2012(8), 65-67.
- Xu, Q., & Gan, Y. (2008). Based on the elements of uniform design menswear. Melliand China, 2008(7), 66-70.
- Zhang, B., & Guo, J. (2010). Uniform elements in the application of modern couture. Art and Design, 2010(2), 221-223.
- Zhang, T., & He, S. (2000). 國外軍服與軍服化時装設計 [Foreign army uniform and design]. Beijing: China Textile & Apparel Press.
- Zhu, T. (2011). Uniform elements in the application of modern couture. Soochow University, 2011(3), 4-11.
- Zhu, X. (2013). The application and innovation of army elements in modern fashion design. Dalian Polytechnic University, 2013(3), 3-7.
- Zuo, S. (2011). Where does the custom of "left for boy and right for girl" comes from. Oversea Digest, 2011(4), 23.