- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Distribution of Soil Water Storage at a Hillslope in Sulmachun Watershed
설마천 사면의 토양층 저류량의 분포양상에 관한 연구
Jang, Eun-se;Kim, Sang-Hyun;Lee, Jung-Hoon
- Received : 2016.04.01
- Accepted : 2016.06.30
- Published : 2016.06.30
The storage variation in the vadose zone at a hillslope is important to understand the hydrological process. This study explores seasonal changes of soil water storage at a hillslope scale. The study was conducted on a hillslope of Beomrunsa, located in the Seolma-cheon river basin in Paju-si, Gyeonggi-do. Using soil moisture measurements through Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR), storage, discharge, and response constant were calculated for all monitoring points on a hillslope between March and November, 2010. This study found that temporal changes in storage are resulted from the rainfall distribution patterns. Analysis of the spatial changes in storage indicated that the soil water storage tends to increase towards the downslope direction. The discharges calculated based on the soil water measurements exhibited a high correlation with observation discharge. The storage response constant was high during the autumn which demonstrates the increased contribution from upslope is responsible for the occurrence of soil water recharge during autumn.
Soil moisture;Soil storage;Discharge
- Beven, K., and M. J. Kirkby, 1979: A Physical based, variable contributing area model of basin hydrology. Hydrological Sciences Bulletin 24(1), 43-69. https://doi.org/10.1080/02626667909491834
- Binley, A., P. Henry, and B. Shaw, 1996: Examination of solute transport in an undisturbed soil column using electrical resistance tomography. Water Resources Research 32(4), 736-769.
- Brooks, R. H., and A. T. Corey, 1964: Hydraulic properties of porous media and their relation to drainage design. Transactions of ASAE 7(1), 0026-0028. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.40684
- Dunne, T., T. R. Moore, and C. H. Taylor, 1975: Recognition and prediction of runoff- producing zones in humid regions. Hydrological Sciences. Bulletin 20(3), 305-327.
- Heimovaara, T. J., and W. Bouten, 1990: A computercontrolled 36-channel time domain reflectometry system for monitoring soil water contents. Water Resources Research 26(10), 2311-2316.
- Hydrological Survey Center, 2014: Hydrological Survey Report, Hydrological Survey Center.
- Korea Institute of Civil Engeineering and Building Technology, 2011: Operation and Hydrological Characterization Report for an Experimental Watershed. Korea Institute of Civil Engeineering and Building Technology.
- Kim, S. H., 2012: Characterization of annual soil moisture response pattern on a hillslope in Bongsunsa Watershed, South Korea. Journal of Hydrology 448-449, 100-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.04.030
- Kim, S. H., 2009: Characterization of soil moisture responses on a hillslope to sequential rainfall events during late autumn and spring. Water Resources Research 45(9), W09425. (DOI:10.1029/2008WR007239). https://doi.org/10.1029/2008WR007239
- Kirchner, J. W., 2009: Catchments as simple dynamical systems: Catchment characterization, rainfall-runoff modeling, and doing hydrology backward. Water Resources Research 45(2), W02429. (DOI:10.1029/2008WR006912) https://doi.org/10.1029/2008WR006912
- Moore, I. D., G. J. Burch, and D. H. Mackenzie, 1988: Topographic effects on the distribution of surface soil water and the location of ephemeral gullies. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 31(4), 1098-1107. (DOI:10.13031/2013.30829) https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.30829
- Moore, I. D., T. W. Norton, and J. E. Williams, 1993: Modeling environmental heterogeneity in forested landscapes. Journal of Hydrology 150(2-4), 717-747. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(93)90133-T
- Nash, J. E., 1958: The form of the instantaneous unit hydrograph, International Association of Hydrological Sciences Publication 45(3), 114-121.
- Son, M. N., S. H. Kim, D. H. Kim, D. H. Lee, and J. Kim, 2007: Univariate Analysis of Soil Moisture Time Series for a Hillslope Located in the KoFlux Gwangneung Supersite. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 9(2), 88-99. https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2007.9.2.088
- Song, T. B., S. H. Kim, G. Y. Lee, and S. W. Jung, 2013: Spatio-temporal regression analysis between soil moisture measurements and terrain attributes at hillslope scale. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 15(3), 161-170. (DOI:10.5532/KJFM.2013.15.3.161) https://doi.org/10.5532/KJAFM.2013.15.3.161
- Teuling, A. J., I. Lehner, J. W. Kirchner, and S. I. Seneviratne, 2010: Catchments as simple dynamical systems: Experience from a Swiss prealpine catchment. Water Resources Research 46, W10502. (DOI:10.1029/2009WR008777) https://doi.org/10.1029/2009WR008777
- Western, A. W., G. Bloschl, and R. B. Grayson, 1998: Geostatistical characterisation of soil moisture patterns in the Tarawarra catchment. Journal of Hydrology 205(1-2), 20-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(97)00142-X
- Western, A. W., R. B. Grayson, and G. Bloschl, 2002: Scaling of soil moisture: a hydrologic perspective. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 30, 149-180 (DOI:10.1146/annurev.earth.30.091201.140434). https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.earth.30.091201.140434
- Zavalsky, D., and G. Sinai, 1981: Surface Hydrology, I. Explanation of Phenomena. Journal of Hydraulics Division ASCE 107, 1-16.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 부산대학교