- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Hydrophilic Polymer on Early Stages of Plant Growth of Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald and Gold' and Hedera japonica in a Vertical Greenery System for Low Maintenance
저관리 용기일체형 벽면녹화에서 황금줄사철과 송악의 초기활착에 미치는 친수성 중합체의 효용성
Ju, Jin-Hee;Kim, Hea-Ran;Xu, Hui;Kim, Won-Tae;Choi, Eun-Young;Yoon, Yong-Han
- Received : 2016.01.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.16
- Published : 2016.06.30
The objective of this study was to exam early stages of plant growth of Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald and Gold' and Hedera japonica grown in fabric felt bag attached on vertical greenery system with the ratio of hydrophilic polymer to substrate, 0(referred as Control), 0.1, 0.2, or 0.4% (v/v), in order to effectively utilize rainfall for low maintenance. After rainfall, the increase in volumetric water content of substrate amended with the hydrophilic polymer was between 13% and 87%, compared to that in Control. During drought period, higher ratio of hydrophilic polymer to substrate slowly decreased the volumetric water content, and increased plant height, leaf length, leaf width, number of leaves, branch number, and stem diameter of both Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald and Gold' and Hedera japonica with the highest fresh and dry weights of shoots or roots under the 0.1% ratio of hydrophilic polymer.
Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald and Gold';Hedera japonica;Low maintenance;Vertical greenery system(VGS)
- Ali LKM. 2011. Significance of applied cellulose polymer and organic manure for ameliorating hydro-physico-chemical properties of sandy soil and maize yield. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science. 5: 23-35.
- Both AJ.Albright LD.Langhans RW.Reoser RA and Vinzant BG. 1997. Hydroponic lettuce production influenced by integrated supplemental light levels in a controlled environmental facility: Experimental results. Acta Horticulturae. 418: 45-51.
- Feng LW.Juergen P and Xusheng L. 2005. Comprehensive concept planning of urban greening based on ecological principles: a case study in Beijing, China. Landscape and Urban Planning. 72: 325-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2004.04.002
- Gabriels G.Verdonck O and Mekers O. 1986. Substrate requirements for pot plants in recirculating water culture. Acta Hort. 178: 93-100.
- Huttermann A.Orikiriza LJ and Agaba H. 2009. Application of super absorbent polymers for improving the ecological chemistry of degraded or polluted lands. Clean-Soil, Air, Water. 37(7): 517-526. https://doi.org/10.1002/clen.200900048
- James WH. 2008. 101 Shade-loving Plants. BBC Books, London.
- Jeong HH and Kim KS. 1999. Effects of shading on the growth of Hedera rhombea Bean and Pachysandra terminalis Sieb. et Zucc. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology. 17(1): 29-32. (in Korean with English summary)
- Jim N and Chen WY. 2010. Habitat effect on vegetation ecology and occurrence on urban masonry wall. Urban forestry & Urban greening. 9: 159-178.
Ju JH.Kim HR and Yoon YH. 2011. Effect of organic fertilizer ratios on the growth of Spiraea
$\times$bumalda 'Gold Mound' in the container green wall systems with rainwater utilization, Journal of the Environmental Science. 20(11): 1417-1423. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2011.20.11.1417
- Ju JH.Kim HR.Kim WT.Choi EY and Yoon YH. 2015. Plant growth assessment of flowering shrub species in a vertical greenery system with different cover materials and substrates for low maintenance. Journal of Korean Society for People, Plants, and Environment. 18(5): 371-378. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.11628/ksppe.2015.18.5.371
- Ju JH.Kim HR.Park H and Yoon YH. 2014. Growth response on the Euonymus fortunei 'Emelad' n 'Gold' as affected by artificial planting soil properties during dry spring season. Journal of the Environmental Science. 23(7): 1299-1305. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.7.1299
- Ju JH.Lee SY and Yoon YH. 2013. Effect of organic soil conditioner ratio on the soil moisture content and growth of Cotoneater horisontalis in the container type for wall-planting under non-irrigation. Journal of the Environmental Science. 22(1): 17-23. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2013.22.1.17
- Keever GJ.Cobb GS.Stephenson JC and Foster WJ. 1989. Effect of hydrophilic polymer amendment on growth of container grown landscape plants. Journal of Environmental Horticulture. 7: 52-56.
- Kim JH.Oh DK and Yoon YH. 2013. Effects of super absorbent polymer on the growth of vine plants. Journal of the Environmental Science 22(7): 801-810. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2013.22.7.801
- Kim KH.Kim Y and Sung HC. 2013. A study on the irrigation system of greenwell using ultrasonic mist fogger system. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology. 16(6): 135-143. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2013.16.6.135
- Kim KN and Park SH. 2011. Effect of high water-swelling polymer rate on seeding survival of major turfgrasses grown on soil organic amendment mixtures. J. Korean Env. Res. Tech. 14(2): 21-32. (in Korean with English summary)
- Kim YJ.Shim MS.Kang UC.Kim SS.Shin CH.Kim NY.Lee KH.Jeon GN.Yoon MJ and Lee SH. 2012. Growth characteristics of several evergreen Carex L. plants according to the direction planted on a green wall. Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology. 30(S1): 152-153. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.7235/hort.2012.11120
- Koupai JA.Eslamian SS and Kaxemi JA. 2008. Enhancing the available water contents in unsaturated soil zone using hydrogel to improve plant growth indices. Ecohydrology and Hydrobiology. 8(1): 67-75. https://doi.org/10.2478/v10104-009-0005-0
- Lee EH.Nam MA and Shin SH. 2004. Selecting easily maintained facade green plants. Proceedings of the 2004 symposium. Suwon: Korean Society of Environment and Ecology. pp.70-74. (in Korean with English summary)
- No YP.Jung YT.Chung GS and Kim YH. 1987. Studies on the agricultural use of the water-swelling polymer. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer. 20(3): 209-216. (in Korean with English summary)
- Royal Horticulture Society. 2012. Encyclopedia of Gardening, London. A Dorling Kindersley Book.
- Wallace A.Wallace GA and Abouzamzam AM. 1986. Effect of soil conditioners on water relationships in soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 141: 346-352.
- Wang YT and Gregg LT. 1990. Hydrophilic polymerons-their response to soil amendments and effect on properties of a soilless potting mix. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science. 943-948.
- Yang J.Yoon YH and Ju JH. 2014. Evaluation of hydrophilic polymer on the growth of plants in the extensive green roofs. Korean Society of Environment and Ecology. 28(3): 357-364. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.13047/KJEE.2014.28.3.357