- Volume 19 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Abundances of Kaloula borealis and Meteorological Factors based on Habitat Features
서식지 특성에 따른 맹꽁이 개체수와 기상요인과의 관계 분석
- Received : 2016.04.29
- Accepted : 2016.06.20
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study aims to assess habitat feature on the large-scale spawning ground of the Boreal Digging Frog Kaloula borealis in Daemyung retarding basin of Daegu, and to analyze the relationships between species abundance and meteorological factors for each habitat. Fifty-seven(57) pitfalls were installed to collect species abundance of 4 survey regions, and high-resolution satellite image, soil sampling equipment, digital topographic map, and GPS were used to develop habitat features such as terrain, soil, vegetation, human disturbance. The analysis shows that the frog is most abundant in sloped region with densely herbaceous cover in southern part of the retarding basin. In the breeding season, lowland regions, where Phragmites communis and P. japonica dominant wetlands and temporary ponds distributed, are heavily concentrated by the species for spawning and foraging. Located in between legally protected Dalsung wetands and lowland regions of the retarding basin, riverine natural levee is ecologically important area as core habitat for Kaloula borealis, and high number of individuals were detected both breeding and non-breeding seasons. Temperate- and pressure-related meteorological elements are selected as statistically significant variables in species abundance of non-breeding season in lowland and highland regions. However, in sloped regions, only a few variables are statistically significant during non-breeding season. Moreover, breeding activities in sloped regions are statistically significant with minimum temperature, grass minimum temperature, dew point temperature, and vapor pressure. Significant meteorological factors with habitat features are effectively applied to establish species conservation strategy of the retarding basin and to construct for avoiding massive road-kills on neighboring roads of the study sites, particularly post-breeding movements from spawning to burrowing areas.
Daemyung retarding basin;Habitat;Boreal Digging Frog;Rainfall;Spawning site;Temperature
- Baek HJ.Jeong A.Yang HJ.Lee H and Min MS. 2011. Chytridiomycosis pathogen survey in wild population of Korean amphibian. Year 2011 Conference Proceeding of the Korean Research Society of Herpetologists: 20. (in Korean)
- Boll, S..Schmidt, B..Veith, M..Wagner, N..Rodder, D..Weinmann, C..Kirschey, T. and Loetters, S. 2013. Anuran amphibians as indicators of changes in aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems following GM crop cultivation: a monitoring guideline. BioRisk 8: 39-51. https://doi.org/10.3897/biorisk.8.3251
- Chang YH and Wu BY. 2015. Designation of amphibian corridor referring to the frog's climbing ability. Ecological Engineering 83: 152-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2015.05.049
- Chen, W..Ren, L..He, D..Wang, Y. and Pike, D. 2015. Reproductive ecology of Sichuan digging frogs (Microhylidae: Kaloula rugifera). Acta Herpetologica 10(1): 17-21.
- Daegu Metropolitan City. 2011. Ecological Survey Report of Protected Areas on Wild Fauna and Flora. (in Korean)
- Dodd, C.K, Jr. and Smith, L.L. 2003. Habitat destruction and alteration. Historical trends and future prospects for amphibians. Pp. 94-112 In: R.D. Semlitsch(ed.), Amphibian Conservation. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, DC.
- Garnham, J.I..Stockwell, M.P..Pollard, C.J..Pickett, E.J..Bower, D.S..Clulow, J. and Mahony, M.J. 2015. Winter microhabitat selection of a threatened pond amphibian in constructed urban wetlands. Austral Ecology 40(7): 816-826. https://doi.org/10.1111/aec.12256
- Gomez-Rodriguez, C..Bustanante, J..Diaz-Paniagua, C. and Guisan, A. 2012. Integrating detection probabilities in species distribution models of amphibians breeding in Mediterranean temporary ponds. Diversity and Distibutions 18(3): 260-272. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-4642.2011.00837.x
- Han ED and Park SY. 1996. Call characteristics and call overlap avoidance of Kaloula borealis. Year 1996 Conference Proceeding of the Zoological Society of Korea: 87. (in Korean).
- Heyer, W.R..Doneelly, M.A..Foster, M. and McDiarmid, R. 2014. Measuring and monitoring biological diversity: standard methods for amphibians. Smithsonian Institution.
- Hong SG and Yi HB. 2016. The ecological study of endangered species II (Boreal Digging Frog, Kaloula borealis) population at Myeongji District in Busan City. (in Korean)
- Jang HJ and Suh JH. 2010. Distribution of amphibian species in South Korea. Korean Journal of Herpetology 2: 45-51. (in Korean with English summary)
- Jung YS. 2008. A Planning model for a substitute habitat of wildlife based on wetland-case of shinki village dang dong in gunpo city-. Ph.D. Dissertation. Graduate School of Sangmyung University. (in Korean with English summary)
- Kim JB and Song JY. 2010. Amphibian and Reptile in Korea. World Science Publishing Co. (in Korean)
- Kim JC. 2010. A study on habitat improvement for narrow-mouth frog (Kaloula borealis) in-situ conservation. Master thesis. Graduate School of University of Seoul. (in Korean with English summary)
- Ko SB. 2012. Ecolgical study of Kaloula borealis on Jeju island. Ph.D. Dissertation. Graduate School of Jeju National University. (in Korean with English summary)
- Ko SB.Chang MH.Song JY and Oh HS. 2012. Meteorological factors influencing breeding biology of Kaloula borealis. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology. 26(6): 876-883. (in Korean with English summary)
- Ko SB.Ko YM and Oh HS. 2011. Distribution of spawning sites of Kaloula borealis in Jeju island. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 25(6): 846-852. (in Korean with English summary)
- Korea Meteorological Administration(KMA). 2014. Annual climatological report. Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- Lee JH.Jang HJ and Suh JH. 2011. Ecological Guide Book of Herpetofauna in Korea. National Institute of Environmental Research. (in Korean)
- McMenamin, S.K..Hadly, E.A. and Wright, C.K. 2008. Climatic change and wetland desiccation cause amphibian decline in Yellowstone National Park. PNAS 105(44): 16988-16993. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0809090105
- Min MS. 2008. Declining amphibian with UV radiation, water pollution and climate change. Donga Science 23(3): 48-53. (in Korean)
- Ministry of Environment(MOE). 2013. Offset habitat creation and management guideline in environmental impact assessment. Ministry of Environment(MOE) administrative guideline serial number 2013-18. (in Korean)
- NIBR. 2011. Red Data Book of Endangered Amphibians and Reptiles in Korea. National Institute of Biological Resources. (in Korean with English summary)
- NIBR. 2012. Intensive ecological survey on endangered amphibian species of Boreal Digging Frog and habitat restoration assessment reports. National Institute of Biological Resources. (in Korean)
- Perret, M. 2014. Amphibians, Affect and Agency: On the Production of Scientific Knowledge in the Anthropocene. Berkeley Undergraduate Journal 27(2): 132-159.
- Ra NY.Kim JK.Lee JH.Heo JH and Park DS. 2012. Long-term monitoring of herpetofauna in Odaesan National Park. Year 2012 Conference Proceeding of the Korean Research Society of Herpetologists: 8. (in Korean)
- Shahriza, S..Ibrahim, H.J. and Anuar, M.S.S. 2010. The correlation between total rainfall and breeding parameters of White-lipped frog, Rana labialis (Anura: Ranidae) in Kedah, Malaysia, Tropical Natural History 10(2): 131-139.
- Shim YJ. 2015. A study on the wildlife habitat restoration model through developing habitat suitability index -focusing on narrow-mouth frog (Kaloula borealis)-. Ph.D. Dissertation. Graduate School of Dankook University. (in Korean with English summary)
- Shim YJ.Cho DG.Hong JP.Kim DH.Park YS and Sung HC. 2015. Site selection of narrow-mouth frog (Kaloula borealis) habitat restoration using habitat suitability index. Journal of the Korean Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 18(2): 33-44. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2015.18.2.33
- Shim YJ.Cho DG.Park SH.Lee DJ.Seo Y H.Kim SH.Kim DH.Ko SB.Cha JY and Sung HC. 2014. Development of Habitat Suitability Index for Habitat Restoration of Narrow-mouth frog (Kaloula borealis). Journal of the Korean Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 17(2): 109-123. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2014.17.2.109
- Song WK. 2015. Habitat analysis of Hyla suweonensis in the breeding season using species distribution modeling. Journal of the Korean Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 18(1): 71-82. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2015.18.1.71
- Yang SY.Kim JB.Min MS.Suh JH and Kang YJ. 2000. Genetic diversity and population structure of Kaloula borealis (anura, microhylidae) in Korea. Korean Journal of Biological Sciences 4(1): 39-44. https://doi.org/10.1080/12265071.2000.9647521
Supported by : 대구녹색환경지원센터