- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Study on Reduction of Image Distortion by using Single-Shot Turbo Spin Echo in Brain Stem Diffusion MRI
자기공명 확산강조영상검사 시 영상왜곡 감소에 관한 연구
Choi, Kwan-Woo;Lee, Ho-Beom;Na, Sa-Ra;Yoo, Beong-Gyu;Son, Soon-Yong
- Received : 2016.05.18
- Accepted : 2016.06.30
- Published : 2016.06.30
Single-shot echo planar imaging(SS-EPI) is well established as high sensitivity for ischemic stroke. However, it is prone to susceptibility artifact in brain stem that diminish the image quality. single-shot turbo spin echo(SS-TSE) is a new DWI technique that can reduce susceptibility artifact. Thus, this research was conducted so as to reduce geometric distortion in brain stem by using single-shot turbo spin echo technique. Thirty patients without brain disease underwent diffusion MR on a 3T scanner with SS-EPI and SS-TSE. Obtained images with both sequences were analyzed for geometric distortion and error percentage as well. Image quality in terms of geometric distortion of SS-TSE were found to be significantly better than those for SS-EPI. And error percentage was considerably reduced for 2.4% of b0 image(from 11.1% to 8.7%), 1.2% of b1000 image(from 11.4% to 10.1%), respectively. In summary, diffusion MR using SS-TSE significantly reduce geometric distortion compared to SS-EPI in brain stem and may provide improved diagnostic performance.
Distortion;Diffusion weighted image(DWI);Single-shot turbo spin echo(SS-TSE);Single-shot echo planar imaging(SS-EPI);Susceptibility
- D. Epstein, A. Mason, A. Manca, "The hospital costs of care for stroke in nine European countries", Health Economics, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 21-31, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.1239
- Bogousslavsky, M. G. Van, F. Regli, "The Lausanne Stroke Registry: analysis of 1,000 consecutive patients with first stroke", Stroke, Vol. 19, No. 9, pp. 1083-1092, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.19.9.1083
- K. M. Burger, S. Tuhrim, T. P. Naidich, "Brainstem vascular stroke anatomy", Neuroimaging Clinics of North America, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 297-324, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nic.2005.05.005
- J. H. Lee, J. S. Lee, I. C. Im, "Evaluated the L-spine Magnetic Resonance Imaging for the Scanning Method of the Lateral Recumbent Position with to the Embarrassed Control of the Acute Low Back Pain", Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 255-260, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.5.255
- J. F. Burke, K. A. Kerber, T.J. Iwashyna, L. B. Morgenstem, "Wide variation and rising utilization of stroke magnetic resonance imaging", Annals of Neurology, Vol. 71, No. 2, pp. 179-185, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.22698
- C. Z. Simonsen, M. H. Madsen, M. L. Schmitz, I. K. Mikkelsen, M. Fisher, G. Andersen, "Sensitivity of diffusion- and perfusion-weighted imaging for diagnosing acute ischemic stroke is 97.5%", Stroke, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 98-101, 2015.
- Y. L. Thian, W. Xie, D. A. Porter, A. B. Weileng, "Readout-segmented echo-planar imaging for diffusion-weighted imaging in the pelvis at 3T-A feasibility study", Academic Radiology, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 531-537, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2014.01.005
- S. J. Holdsworth, M. U. Antonucci, J. B. Andre, J. Rosenberg, M. Aksoy, M. Straka, N. J. Fischbein, R. Bammer, S. Skare, "Diffusion-weighted imaging with dual-echo echo-planar imaging for better sensitivity to acute stroke", American Journal of Neuroradiology, Vol. 35, No. 7, pp. 1293-1302, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A3921
- K. W. Yeom, S. J. Holdsworth, A. T. Van, R. M. Lober, R. Bammer, "Comparison of readout-segmented echo-planar imaging (EPI) and single-shot EPI in clinical application of diffusion-weighted imaging of the pediatric brain", American Journal of Roentgenology, Vol. 200, No. 5, pp. 437-443, 2013. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.12.8792
- R. Bammer, "Basic principles of diffusion-weighted imaging", European Journal of Radiology, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 169-184, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0720-048X(02)00303-0
- K. P. Pruessmann, M. Weiger, M. B. Scheidegger, P. Boesiger, "SENSE: sensitivity encoding for fast MRI", Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Vol. 42, No. 5, pp. 952-962, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1522-2594(199911)42:5<952::AID-MRM16>3.0.CO;2-S
- K. O. Lovblad, P. M. Jakob, Q. Chen, A. E. Baird, G. Schlaug, S. Warach, R. R. Edelman, "Turbo spin-echo diffusion-weighted MR of ischemic stroke", American Journal of Neuroradiology, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 201-208, 1998.
- J. P. Vercruysse, B. Pilet, J. Michiels, R. Vertriest, M. Pouillon, T. Somers, E. Offeciers, "Single-shot, turbo spin-echo, diffusion-weighted imaging versus spin-echo-planar, diffusion-weighted imaging in the detection of acquired middle ear cholesteatoma", American Journal of Neuroradiology, Vol. 27, No. 7, pp. 1480-1482, 2006.
- J. S. Zhang, Y. Huan, "Multishot diffusion-weighted MR imaging features in acute trauma of spinal cord", European Journal of Radiology, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 685-692, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-013-3051-3
- T. Ishihara, K. Hirata, J. Kubo, K. Yamazaki, T. Sato, "Clinical application of multi-shot diffusion EPI inneurological disease", Rinsho Shinkeiqaku, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 453-456, 1998.
- F. Hennel, "Image-based reduction of artifacts in multishot echo-planar imaging", Journal of Magnetic Resonance, Vol. 134, No. 2, pp. 206-213, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmre.1998.1502
- M. H. Buonocore, L. Gao, "Ghost artifact reduction for echo planar imaging using image phase correction", Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 89-100, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.1910380114
- K. W. Choi, D. K. Seo, H. B. Lee, H. J. Goh, S. R. Na, "A study on image distortion improvement using silicon device in thyroid diffusion MRI images", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 7, pp. 4380-4386. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4380
- J. Pouwels, F. Rodjan, A. C. Moll, S. M. Imhof, D. L. Knol, E. Sanchez, J. A. Castelijns, "Single-shot turbo spin-echo diffusion-weighted imaging for retinoblastoma: initial experience", American Journal of Neuroradiology, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 110-118, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A2729
Supported by : 원광보건대학교