- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Reduction of Superplasticizer Dosage in Eco-friendly Ultra-high Performance Concrete by Adopting Industrial by-Products
산업부산물들 혼입에 의한 친환경 초고성능 콘크리트의 유동화제 사용량 감소
Kim, Heeae;Pyo, Sukhoon;Kim, Hyeong-Ki
- Received : 2016.03.28
- Accepted : 2016.06.13
- Published : 2016.06.30
Assessment on adequate dosage of superplasticizer in eco-friendly ultra-high performance concrete (UHPC) containing industrial by-products was carried out from the standpoint of workability. Various types of industrial by-products, including blast-furnace slag, coal bottom ash and rapid-cooled electric arc furnace oxidizing slag, were utilized, and the effects of dosage of superplasticizer on the workability and strength of UHPC containing the by-products were evaluated. By utilizing the by-products, the workability of UHPC was improved and required dosage of superplasticizer was reduced. In addition, the material cost for UHPC with by-products was decreased due to reduced dosage of superplasticizer.
Ultra High Performance Concrete (UHPC);industrial by-products;blast furnace slag;bottom ash;rapid-cooled slag;superplasticizer;workability;material cost
- Wille, K., Naaman, A.E., Parra-Montesinos, G.J., 2011: Ultra-high performance concrete with compressive strength exceeding 150 MPa (22 ksi): A simpler way, ACI Materials Journal, 108(1), pp. 46-54.
- Pyo, S., Wille, K., El-Tawil, S., Naaman, A.E., 2015: Strain rate dependent properties of ultra high performance fiber reinforced concrete (UHP-FRC) under tension, Cement and Concrete Composites, 56, pp. 15-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2014.10.002
- Pyo, S., El-Tawil, S., 2015: Capturing the strain hardening and softening responses of cementitious composites subjected to impact loading, Construction and Building Materials, 81, pp. 276-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.02.028
- Tran, N.T., Kim, D.J., Tran, T.K., Park, J.K., Jeon, J.K., 2016: Fracture energy of ultra-high-performance fiberreinforced concrete under high strain rates, Cement and Concrete Research, 79, pp. 169-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2015.09.011
- Alkaysi, M., El-Tawil, S., Liu, Z., Hansen, W., 2016: Effects of silica powder and cement type on durability of ultra high performance concrete (UHPC), Cement and Concrete Composites, 66, pp. 47-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2015.11.005
- Mehta, P.K., 2001: Reducing the environmental impact of concrete, Concrete international, 23(10), pp. 61-66.
- Blok, K., de Jager, D., Hendriks, C., Kouvaritakis, N., Mantzos, L., 2001: Economic evaluation of sectoral emission reduction objectives for climate change-Comparison of topdown and bottom-up analysis of emission reduction opportunities for CO2 in the European Union, Ecofys, AEA and NTUA, Report for European Commission, DG Environment, Brussels, September.
- Oner, A., Akyuz, S., 2007: An experimental study on optimum usage of GGBS for the compressive strength of concrete, Cement and Concrete Composites, 29(6), pp. 505-514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2007.01.001
- Yazici, H., Yardimci, M. Y., Yigiter, H., Aydin, S., Turkel, S., 2010: Mechanical properties of reactive powder concrete containing high volumes of ground granulated blast furnace slag, Cement and Concrete Composites, 32(8), pp. 639-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2010.07.005
- Yang, S. L., Millard, S. G., Soutsos, M. N., Barnett, S. J., Le, T. T., 2009: Influence of aggregate and curing regime on the mechanical properties of ultra-high performance fibre reinforced concrete (UHPFRC), Construction and Building Materials, 23(6), pp. 2291-2298. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2008.11.012
- Ahmad, S., Hakeem, I., Maslehuddin, M., 2014: Development of UHPC Mixtures Utilizing Natural and Industrial Waste Materials as Partial Replacements of Silica Fume and Sand, The Scientific World Journal, 2014.
- Zhao, S., Sun, W., 2014: Nano-mechanical behavior of a green ultra-high performance concrete, Construction and Building Materials, 63, pp. 150-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.04.029
- Yu, R., Tang, P., Spiesz, P., Brouwers, H. J. H., 2014: A study of multiple effects of nano-silica and hybrid fibres on the properties of Ultra-High Performance Fibre Reinforced Concrete (UHPFRC) incorporating waste bottom ash (WBA), Construction and Building Materials, 60, pp. 98-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.02.059
- Yu, R., Spiesz, P. Brouwers, H. J. H., 2015: Development of an eco-friendly Ultra-High Performance Concrete (UHPC) with efficient cement and mineral admixtures uses, Cement and Concrete Composites, 55, pp. 383-394. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2014.09.024
- Song, H. W., Saraswathy, V., 2006: Studies on the corrosion resistance of reinforced steel in concrete with ground granulated blast-furnace slag-an overview, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 138(2), pp. 226-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.07.022
- Pyo, S., Kim H.K., Kim H., 2016: Characteristics of an eco-friendly UHPC incorporating coal bottom ash, Proceedings of HiPerMat 2016 4th International Symposium on Ultra-High Performance Concrete and High Performance Construction Materials, Kassel, Kassel University Press, March 9-11, 118, pp. 6.
- Koh, T., Hwang, S., 2015: Field evaluation and durability analysis of an eco-friendly prestressed concrete sleeper, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 27(7), B4014009. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001109
- Koh, T. H., Lee, S. J., Shin, M. H., Kim, B. S., Lee, J. K., Lee, T. Y., 2010: Evaluation for contents of contaminants and leaching characteristics of bottom ash, Journal of The Korean Geo-Environmentral Society, 11(6), pp. 77-83.
- Kim, H. K., and H. K. Lee., 2011: Use of power plant bottom ash as fine and coarse aggregates in high-strength concrete, Construction and Building Materials, 25(2), pp. 1115-1122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.065
- Yu, R., Spiesz, P., Brouwers, H.J.H., 2015: Development of Ultra-High Performance Fibre Reinforced Concrete (UHPFRC): Towards an efficient utilization of binders and fibres, Construction and Building Materials, 79, pp. 273-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.01.050
- Sua-Iam, G., Natt, M., 2015: Utilization of coal-and biomass-fired ash in the production of self-consolidating concrete: a literature review, Journal of Cleaner Production, 100, pp. 59-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.03.038
- Kim, H. K., Lee, H. K., 2012: Effects of high volumes of fly ash, blast furnace slag, and bottom ash on flow characteristics, density, and compressive strength of high-strength mortar, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 25(5), pp. 662-665.
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원, 한국연구재단