- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Navigational Support Services for Improving Navigational Safety of Non-SOLAS Ships
비협약선박의 항해안전 향상을 위한 항해지원서비스에 관한 연구
An, Kwang;Kim, Inchul;Kim, Chol-Seong
- Received : 2016.03.28
- Accepted : 2016.06.27
- Published : 2016.06.30
This study identified necessary navigational support services to prevent accidents through an examination and a survey on the navigation and communication systems of non-SOLAS ships. The functional and operational requirements for the identified navigational support services were discussed accordingly. Among the navigational support services proposed are an Electronic Navigational Chart (ENC) service, a route planning service, an operation monitoring service, and collision prevention support services for ships in coastal areas. To facilitate the identified navigational support services, ship navigation system, shore supporting centre and maritime communication network were discussed as a digital infrastructure. The operational methode for the digital infrastructure were discussed in the service scenarios for ships carrying dangerous cargo, large ships over 200 meters in length and high speed passenger ships over 15 knots in speed. This study will facilitate the development of policies for the improvement of ship operation management in Korean coastal waters and will contribute to improving the navigational safety of non-SOLAS ships.
Marine accident;Non-SOLAS ships;Ship collision accident;Electronic Navigational Chart;Navigational support service
- An, K.(2015), A Study on the Collision Prevention Support System for Small Ships based on e-navigation, Dissertation for Doctor's degree in Graduate School of Mokpo National Maritime University, pp. 116-117.
- Kim, B. O.(2016), GMDSS Modernization and e-Navigation, TTA Journal, Vol. 159, pp. 42-47.
- Kim, H. Y. and Y. H. You(2014), A Study on the Problems and Improvement of GPS Plotter Usage for Coastal Ships, Korean Maritime Police Science, Vol. 6, pp. 21-42.
- KMST(2015), Korea Maritime Safety Tribunal, Statistics of Marine Accidents (2011-2015), Retrieved from https://data.kmst.go.kr/kmst/statistics/annualReport/selectAnnualReportList.do#a, pp. 5-33.
- MOF(2014), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Ship Registry Statistics, Retrieved from http://www.mof.go.kr/content/view.do?menuKey=394&contentKey=47.
- MOF(2015), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Ship Safety Act, Retrieved from http://www.law.go.kr/lsSc.do?enuId=0&subMenu=1&query=%EC%84%A0%EB%B0%95%EC%95%88%EC%A0%84%EB%B2%95#undefined.
- MOF(2015), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Strategy Implementation Plan for e-navigation in Korea, pp. 148-151.
- MPSS(2015), Ministry of Public Safety and Security, The Notice for Installation and Operation of V-Pass System, Retrieved from http://www.law.go.kr/DRF/lawService.do?OC=jh45&target=admrul&ID=2200000032761&type=HTML&mobileYn=&popYn=Y.