- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Establishment of a Specialized Institute for Addressing IMO Agenda
국제해사기구 의제 대응을 위한 전문기관 설립에 관한 연구
- Kim, Inchul (Graduate School of Mokpo National Maritime University) ;
- Kim, Chol-seong (Division of International Maritime Transportation Science, Mokpo National Maritime University)
- Received : 2016.05.16
- Accepted : 2016.06.27
- Published : 2016.06.30
Whereas shipping and Ship-building industries of Korea have been under the direct influence of International Maritime Organization (IMO) conventions and resolutions that aim at maritime safety and the protection of marine environment, it is needed that a specialized institute for dealing with IMO Agenda be established by industry-academy-government collaboration. Accordingly, this study proposes the establishment of a specialized institute to manage the IMO Agenda. To this end, integrating the existing bodies and their functions into a specialized institute, namely, the International Maritime Cooperation Center, is suggested. This center, composed of 40 researchers and operated by the Korea Maritime Institute, could assume this role. This study proceeds by building an estimate of the operational cost of the institute and exploring practical ways to finance it through the private and public sectors, also considering revisions to the Maritime Safety Act to ensure continuous operation of the new institute.
- C&C(2014), Calep & Company, Final report of founding new maritime safety industry development, C&C, pp. 4-5.
- Cho, I. S., K. M. Kim and K. T. Lim(2008), Introduction to Maritime safety Research Center and Mid-to Long-term Vision, 2008 Autumn Conference Proceedings of the Korean Institute of Navigation & Port Research, pp. 19-23.
DWFIA(2015), Distance Water Fishing Industry Act,
$\S$18, 30, Korean Government.
- EF(2014), Ecofuturenetwroks, Work Week 47-50, 2013, Retrieved June 17, 2015 from the World Wide Web: http://www.ecofuturenetwork.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=11299.
GOA(2015), Government Organization Act,
$\S$26, 30, 43, Korean Government.
GOAR(2016), Government Official Appointment Regulations,
$\S$43-3, Korean Government.
- IMO(2016), International Maritime Organization, STRATEGY, PLANNING AND REFORM: Trends, Developments and Challenges facing the IMO in the 2018-2023 period, IMO/Council 116/4/1 Annex, p. 12.
- JMC(2016), Japan Maritime Center, JMC pamphlet, Retrieved May 9, 2016 from the World Wide Web: http://www.jpmac.or.jp/img/en/outline/pdf-pamphlet.pdf.
- KISTEP(2015), Korea Institute of S&T Evaluation and Planning, A preliminary feasibility study of IMO next generation maritime safety network technology project, KISTEP, p. 90.
- KST(2015), Korea Ship Safety and Technology Authority, A Study on mid and long term development plan for Korea Maritime Center, KST, pp. 12-13.
- MLTM(2009), Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, IMO Guide Book, p. 1.
- MOF(2015a), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Final report of mid and long-term KMC development plan, MOF, p. 12.
- MOF(2015b), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Korea succeeded in reelection of A group Council member of IMO, Press release of MOF.
- MOF(2014a), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, A Study on Devising Creative Future Strategy by Effects and Influences of IMO, In Report of 2014 IMO Strategic Response Study of the MOF. Vol. . No. 28, pp. 9-10, 156-158.
- MOF(2014b), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, Launch of Korea Overseas Fisheries Cooperation Center, Press release of MOF.
- MOMAF(2007a), Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, At a glance: Maritime Safety Policy of Korea, MOMAF, pp. 115-119, pp. 352-356.
- MOMAF(2007b), Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Final Report on Taking-off Strategy for Leading Maritime Country, MOMAF, p. 143.
- MOSF(2016), Ministry of Strategy and Finance, Statistics Center: Main Statistics, 2014. Retrieved March 24, 2016 from the World Wide Web: http://www.alio.go.kr/stat1.do.
- Park, Y. S.(2014), A Study on International Organizations, Korea Maritime Research Institute, pp. 219-228.
- SN(2015), Seoul Sinmun, Interview with Minister Yoo Ki-Jun, Retrieved June 17, 2015 from the World Wide Web: http://www.seoul.co.kr/news/newsView.php?id=20150729026005.
- SS(2015), Susanin Sinmun 2015. 6. 26., "Faulty reserve service for severance benefits", Retrieved May 16, 2016 from the World Wide Web: http://www.isusanin.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=23830.