- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study of Distribution of Jellyfish by Particle Numerical Experiment in Masan Bay
마산만에서 입자수치실험에 의한 해파리 분포연구
Choi, Min-Ho;Ryu, Tai-Gwan;Kim, Dong-Sun
- Received : 2016.04.14
- Accepted : 2016.06.27
- Published : 2016.06.30
The spatio-temporal distribution of jellyfish in Masan Bay was investigated in this study using a numerical model. First, a three-dimensional hydrodynamic model (POM) was constructed,taking into account residual flows, tides, temperature, salinity, and wind effects. A particle tracking model based on residual flow was then used to investigate the jellyfish present in Masan Port, referred to as the Heavy Industry and Gapo New Port in Masan. Jellyfish distribution was concentrated with maximum (2,533 individual) in the North Sea near Machang Bridge. Itcan be concluded that this concentration was due to multi-directional residual flows and topography effects. Residual flow currents are a dominant factor in understanding the aggregation of jellyfish, and this study used a numerical simulation of tide-induced residual currents, wind-driven currents and density currents in distinct cases to thoroughly address the topic. As a result, wind-driven currents (effect of the wind) was found to be superior to other components as an influence on the distribution of jellyfish near Machang Bridge and Modo in Masan Bay.
Hydrodynamic model;Particle tracking model;Jellyfish;Machang bridge;Residual flow
- Berline, L., B. Zakardjian, A. Molcard, Y. Ourmieres and K. Guihou(2013), Modeling jellyfish Pelagia noctiluca transport and stranding in the Ligurian Sea, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 70, pp. 90-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2013.02.016
- Blumberg, A. F. and G. L. Mellor(1987), A description of a three-dimensional coastal ocean circulation model. In : Three dimensional Coastal Models (N. S. heaps, ed.), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C., pp. 1-16.
- Chung, M. H., S. H. Youn and W. D. Yoon(2012), Research Trends of the Jellyfish Blooms, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 17, No.1, pp. 25-31.
- Ezer T., H. Arango and A. F. Shchepetkin(2002), Developments in terrain-following ocean models : intercomparisons of numerical aspects, Ocean Modelling, Vol. 4, pp. 249-267. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1463-5003(02)00003-3
- Graham, W. M., D. L. Martin, D. L. Felder, V. L. Asper and H. M. Perry(2003), Ecological and economic impli- cations of a tropical jellyfish invader in the gulf of mexico, Biological invasions, Vol. 5, p. 53. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024046707234
- KHOA(2005), Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Agency, http://www.khoa.go.kr/koofs/kor/seawf/sea_wfreal.do.
- KHOA(2014), Korea Hydrographic and Oceanographic Agency, http://www.khoa.go.kr/koofs/kor/observation/obs_real_detail.do?tsType=0&tsId=220&obsItem=&obsSubItem=S.
- Kim, D. Y., J. S. Lee and D. H. Kim(2014), A study on direction of industrial utilization for jellyfish in korea, Journal of the korea society for fisheries and marine sciences education, Vol. 26, No. 3, p. 595.
- KIOST(2007), A study for outbreak of jellyfish bloom, pp. 141-142.
- Moon, J. H., I. C. Pang, J. Y. Yang and W. D. Yoon(2010), Behavior of the giant jellyfish Nemopilema nomurai in the East China Sea and East/Japan Sea during the summer of 2005: A numerical model approach using a particle-tracking experiment, Journal of Marine Systems, Vol. 80, pp. 101-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2009.10.015
- Park, S. E., J. H. Sok and W. C. Lee(2009), Calculating Average Residence Time Distribution Using a Particle Tracking Model, The Korean Society of Ocean Engineers, Vol. 23, No. 2. pp. 47-52.
- Park, S. E., W. C. Lee, J. H. Sok, H. C. Kim and J. H. Kim(2011), Variation in Residence Time and Water Exchange Rate by Release Time of Pollutants Over a Tidal Cycle in Masan Bay, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environmental Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 4. pp. 249-256. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2011.14.4.249
- Smagorinsky, J.(1963), General circulation experiments with the primitive equations, I. The basic experiment. Mon. Weather Rev., Vol. 91, pp. 99-164. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1963)091<0099:GCEWTP>2.3.CO;2
- Wei, H., L. Deng, Y. Wang, L. Zhao, X. Li and F. Zhang(2015), Giant jellyfish Nemopilema nomurai gathering in the Yellow Sea - a numerical study, Journal of Marine Systems, Vol. 144, pp. 107-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2014.12.001
Supported by : 부경대학교