- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Preliminary Evaluation of the Economic Feasibility for Building a Multi-purpose Large Oil Spill Response Vessel in South Korea
우리나라 다목적 대형방제선 건조의 경제적 타당성에 관한 예비평가
Chang, Woojin;Pyo, Heedong
- Received : 2016.05.04
- Accepted : 2016.06.27
- Published : 2016.06.30
While the amounts of oil spill caused by the VLCC Hebei Spirit indicated 2.5 times more than that of the VLCC Sea Prince, the economic, environmental, and social damages derived from the Hebei Spirit spill were estimated to be about 30 times greater than those from the Sea Prince incident. This study consolidates the appropriate justification for building a multi-purpose large oil spill response vessel to allow swift and efficient handling of catastrophic marine pollution events through an analysis of technical and economic feasibility of such a project. The result of the technical feasibility analysis illustrates that a hopper dredge and oil spill response vessel with a capacity of 4,000 tons should be more appropriate. The result of the economic feasibility analysis indicates that under the most conservative estimates the project appears to be slightly impractical, with a benefit/cost ratio of 0.82, in which self-help efforts, however, can facilitate the project. And medium to optimistic estimates present benefit/cost ratios are estimated to be 2.72 and 5.82 respectively, representing apparent economic feasibility.
Muti-purpose large oil spill response vessel;Large-scale marine pollution incidents;Technical feasibility;Economic feasibility analysis;Dredge and oil spill response vessel;Benefit/cost ratio
- EMSA(2012), European Maritime Safety Agency, Inventory of EU Member States Oil Pollution Response Vessels, pp. 4-78.
- Han, S. Y.(2009), Assessment of Public Sector Damages from the Hebei Spirit Oil Spill Using the Contingent Valuation, Research Report to Korea National Park Service, pp. 53-85.
- KDI(2008), General Guidelines for Preliminary Feasibility Research, pp. 57-180.
- KDI(2009), Research Report of Preliminary Feasibility for Building a Large Vessel for Ocean Science Research Project, pp. 227-237.
- KDI(2013), Korea Development Institute, General Guidelines for Preliminary Feasibility Research of Large Scale Projects in Public Agencies, pp. 129-223.
- Kim, S. K.(2001), Compensation Policy for Environmental Damages to Marine Oil Pollution Incidents, Ph.D Thesis in Seoul National University, pp. 51-98.
- KMI(2008), Korea Maritime Institute, A Study to Estimate Environmental Damage caused by the Hebei Spirit Oil Spill, pp. 68-99.
- KOEM(2014), Korea Marine Envi onment Management Corporation, Designs for Building a Multi-purpose Large Oil Spill Response Vessel, pp. 59-170.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism(2014), Summary of Large Vessel for Dredge and Oil Recovery, pp. 1-4.
- Park, S. Y. and S. H. Yoo(2013), Natural Resource Damage Assessment of Hebei Spirit Oil Spill Accident using a Contingent Valuation Method, 2013 Proceedings of the Korean Society for Marine Environment and Energy, pp. 115-121.
- Pyo, H.(2014), Evaluating the Economic Damages to Anglers of the Marine Recreational Charter due to the Hebei Spirit Vessel Oil Spill, Ocean and Polar Research, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 289-302. https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2014.36.3.289
Supported by : 부경대학교