- Volume 24 Issue 2
Global Positioning System (GPS) is currently widely used for aviation applications. Single-frequency GPS receivers are highly affected by the ionospheric delay error, and the ionospheric delay should be corrected for accurate positioning. Single-frequency GPS receivers use the Klobuchar model, whose model parameters are transmitted from GPS satellites. In this paper, the long-term accuracy of the Klobuchar model from 2002 to 2014 is analyzed. The IGS global ionosphere map is considered as true ionospheric delay, and hourly, seasonal, and geographical error variations are analyzed. Histogram of the ionospheric delay error is also analyzed. The influence of solar and geomagnetic activity on the Klobuchar model error is analyzed, and the Klobuchar model error is highly correlated with solar activity. The results show that the Klobuchar model estimates 8 total electron content unit (TECU) over the true ionosphere delay in average. The Klobuchar model error is greater than 12 TECU within
Global Positioning System (GPS);Global Navigation Satellite System;Klobuchar model;Ionospheric delay
- Hoffmann-Wellenhof, B., Lichtenegger, H., and Walse, E., GNSS-Global Navigation Satellite Systems-GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and more, 1st ed., Springer, 2008.
- Klobuchar, J. A., "Ionospheric Time-Delay Algorithm for Single-Frequency GPS Users," IEEE Transactions on aerospace and electronic systems, Vol. AES-23, No. 3, May 1987, pp. 325-331. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.1987.310829
- Feess, W. A., and Stephens, S. G., "Evaluation of GPS Ionospheric Time-Delay Model," IEEE Transactions on aerospace and electronic systems, Vol. AES-23, No. 3, May 1987, pp. 332-338. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.1987.310830
- Hernandez-Pajares, M., Juan, J. M., Sanz, J., Orus, R., Garcia-Rigo, A., Feltens, J., Komjathy, A., Schaer, S. C., and Krankowski, A., "The IGS VTEC maps: a reliable source of ionospheric information since 1998," Journal of Geodesy, Vol. 83, No. 3, Mar. 2009, pp. 263-275. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00190-008-0266-1
- Stepniak. K., Wielgosz. P., and Paziewski. J., "Accuracy analysis of the Klobuchar ionosphere model transmitted by the GPS system," The 9th International Conference "Environmental Engineering", 2014.
- Swamy, K. C. T., Sarma, A. D., Srinivas, V. S., Kumar, P. N., and Rao, P. V. D. S., "Accuracy Evaluation of Estimated Ionospheric Delay of GPS Signals Based on Klobuchar and IRI-2007 Models in Low Latitude Region," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 10, No. 6, Nov. 2013, pp. 1557-1561. https://doi.org/10.1109/LGRS.2013.2262035
- Farah, A. M. A., "Comparison of GPS/Galileo Single Frequency Ionospheric Models with Vertical TEC Maps," Journal of Artifical Satellites, Volume 43, No. 2, May 2009, pp. 75-90.
- Jeong, M. S and Kim, J. R., "Analysis of MSAS Ionosphere Correction Messages and the Effect of Equatorial Anomaly," Journal of the Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, Volume 16, No. 2, Jun 2008, pp. 12-20.
Supported by : 국방과학연구소