- Volume 24 Issue 2
Positional stability analysis based on aerodynamic forces and induced moments of formation flight using two small aircraft models is presented. The aerodynamic force and moments of the trailing aircraft are analyzed in the aspect of flight stability. The induced moments with the change of local flow direction by wing-tip vortex from the leading aircraft can affect the flight positional stability of aircraft in closed formation flight. Aerodynamic forces and moments of trailing aircraft model are measured by 6-component internal balance at the 49 locations with vertical and lateral space between two aircraft models. Results are shown that the positional stability of trailing aircraft in formation flight can be analyzed by positional stability derivatives with vertical and lateral space. It is concluded that flying positions can be important factors for aircraft position stability due to induced aerodynamic force and moments with vertical and lateral spacing by the variation of flow pattern from the leading aircraft in formation flight.
Positional Stability;Formation Flight;Wind Tunnel Testing;Induced Aerodynamic Moment;Trailing Aircraft;Leading aircraft
- Myatt, J. H. and Blake, W. B., "Aerodynamic Database Issues for Modeling Close Formation Flight", AIAA 99-4194, 1999, pp. 317-327.
- Blake, W.B., Gingras, D.R., Comparison of Predicted and Measured Formation Fight Interference Effects, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 41, No. 2, March-April 2004, pp.201-207. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.9278
- Bloy, A.W., West, M.G., Lea, K.A., Jouma'a, M., Lateral Aerodynamic Interference Between Tanker and Receiver in Air-to-Air Refueling, Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 30, No. 5, Sept-Oct. 1993, pp. 705-710 https://doi.org/10.2514/3.46401
- Cho, H.K., Han, C.H., Effect of sideslip angle on the aerodynamic characteristics of fighter type aircraft, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Sept. 2015, pp. 3691-3698.
- Cho, H.K., Han, C.H., Lee, S.T., Experimental study on the aerodynamic characteristics of a fighter, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 2014, pp. 3059-3065.
- Cho, H.K., Lee, S.H., Lee, S.T., Aerodynamic Interference Effect of Aircraft Wing Tip Vortex in Formation Flight, J. of KASS, Vol. 41, No. 11, 2013, pp. 849-854.
- Hansen, J .L and Cobleigh, B. R., "Induced Moment Effects of Formation Flight Using Two F/A-18 Aircraft", Flight Mechanics Conference and Exhibit, AIAA 2002-4489, 2002.
Supported by : 청주대학교 산업과학연구소