- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effect of the Cabin Service Quality on Customer Loyalty and Airline Image
고객 충성도 및 항공사 이미지 형성에 기내 서비스품질이 미치는 영향
Wang, Soo-Myung;Park, Hye-Yoon
- Received : 2016.03.24
- Accepted : 2016.05.31
- Published : 2016.06.30
The cabin service quality expected by customers during the air travel can be the top priority to choose an airline. Customers' perception about cabin service quality evaluation are important for developing differentiated cabin service strategies of airlines, so this study aims to analyze the effect of the cabin service quality on airline image and customer loyalty. For achieving this purpose, literature study and empirical study on cabin service, customer loyalty and airline image were performed together. As a results of research, a high level of the cabin service quality provided by airlines significantly influenced positive images of airlines and customer loyalty. And customers' positive image towards airlines practically had a substantial influence on the improvement of customer loyalty. These study results would help in creating positive images of airlines and securing customer loyalty by developing differentiated and improved cabin service quality strategies of each airline in the limitless competition of the aviation service industry.
Service Quality;Cabin Service Quality;Customer Loyalty;Airline Image
- Berry, Leonardo. L., "Relationship Marketing of Sevice-growing interest, Emerging Perspective", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 23(4), 1995, pp.236-245. https://doi.org/10.1177/009207039502300402
- Bitner, M. J., "Servicescape: The Impact of physical Surroundings on Customers and Employees", Journal of Marketing, 56, 1992, pp.57-71. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252042
- Canny I. U., "An empirical investigation of service quality, tourist satisfaction and future behavioral intentions among domestic local tourist at borobudur temple, International Journal of Trade, Economics and Finance, 4(2), 2013, pp.86-91.
- Cronin, J. J., Jr., & Taylor, A. S. "Measuring service quality: A reexamination and extension", Journal of Marketing, 56(July), 1992, PP.55-68.
- Day, G. S., "A Two-Dimensional Concept of Brand Loyalty.", Journal of Advertising Research, 9(3), 1969, pp.29-33.
- Dobni, D. and Zinkhan, G. M., "In Search of Brand Image: A Foundation Analysis", Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 17, 1990. pp.110-118.
- Gatner, W. C., "Image Formation Process", Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 2(2), 1993, pp.191-215.
- Griffin, J., "Customer Loyalty: How to Earn It, How To Keep It", 2002 Jossey-Bass.
- Gronroos, C., "A Service Quality model and its Marketing Implication", European Journal of Marketing, 18(4), 1984, pp.36-44. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000004784
- Jou, R. C., Lam, S. H., Hensher, D. A., Chen, C. C. & Kou, C. W.. "The effect of service quality and price on international airline competition", Journal of Transportation Research (part E), 44(4), 2008, pp.580-592 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2007.05.004
- Kotler, P., "Atmospherics as a Marketing Tool", Journal of Retailing, 49(Winter), 1973, pp. 48-64.
- Kotler, P., "Marketing Management, Prentice-Hall International Edition", 1991, pp. 825-835.
- Martinez, E., Momtaner, T., & Pina, J. "Brand extention feedback: The role of advertising." Journal of Business Research, 62(3), 2009, pp.305-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.05.009
- Oliver, R. L. "Whence customer loyalty?" Journal of Marketing, 63(4), 1999, pp.33-44
- Ostrowski, P. L., O'Brien, T. V. & Gordon, G. L., "Service quality and customer loyalty in the commercial airline industry", Journal of travel research, 32(2), 1993 pp16-24. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759303200203
- Parasuraman, A. and V. Zeithamland L. Berry, "A Conceptual Model of Service Quality and Its Implication for Future Research", Journal of Marketing, Vol.49, Fall, 1985, pp.41-50.
- Parasuraman, A. and V. Zeithamland L. Berry, "SERVQUAL : A Multiple Item Scale for measuring Consumer Perception of Service Quality", Journal of Retailing, 64(1), 1988, pp.12-40.
- Reichheld F. F. & Sasser W. E., "Zero De fection: Quality Comes to Service.", Harvard Business REview, March-April, 1990, pp. 56-59.
- Rust, R. T. and Zahorik, A. J.. "Customer Satisfaction, Customer Retention and Market Share", Journal of Retailing, 69(2), 1993, pp.193-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4359(93)90003-2
- Selnes, F., "An Examination of Effect of Product Performance on Brand Reputation, Satisfaction and Loyalty.", European Journal of Marketing, 27(9), 1993, pp.19-35.
- Yang, Z. and Peterson, R. T., "Customer perceived value, satisfaction, and loyalty: the role of switching costs", Psychology & Marketing, 21(10), 2004, pp.799-822. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20030
- Koh, D. S., You, J. Y., Jeong, M. S., "(A) Study on How external evaluation of air line service influences customers prefere nce of airlines and expectations of airline service", Journal of Korea Distribution Association Academic conference, 2010, pp.173-192.
- Kim, Kyung Ok, "A Study on The Effect of The Brand Image, Brand Attitude and Behavioral Intentions by the Service Quality of The LCC: Focusing on Domestic Low-Cost Carriers", Master's degree, Thesis, Korea Aerospace University, 2014, pp.102-107.
- Kim B. D., " The Impact on The Brand Image, Brand Attitude and Behavioral Intentions by The Service Quality of The Airline - A Comparison of Full Service Airlines and Low Cost Carriers ", Master's degree, Thesis, Hanseo University, 2014.
- Kim. Y. S., "(A) Study on the Influence of Physical Environment on Service Quality Perception and Evaluation : Concerning the Determinant Factors of Physical Environment and Comparison with a Different Kind of Service Industries", Ph. D., Thesis, Kyung Hee University, 1999, pp.66-80.
- Kim, Hyeong Jang, "The Influence of the Customer Preference on Cabin Service's Physical Environment", Ph.D., Thesis, Mokpo National University, 2008, pp.17-80.
- Maeng Hye Kyung, " The Influence of the Cabin Service's Physical Environment on Customer Loyalty", Master's degree, Thesis, Korea Aerospace University, 2013, pp.75-78.
- Park. H. J., "Airline Cabin Service", Baek San, 2014, pp.35-37
- Shin, Dong Sik., "A Study on Service Guarantee to Service Quality, Service Value and Customer Loyalty in Travel Agency", Journal of tourism research, 22(4), 2008, pp.243-264.
- Oh, Eun Young., "A Study on the Effects of Cabin Service to the choice of Airline", Journal of management research, Vol.17 No.1, 2010, pp. 49-66.
- Lee, K. E., Park, Y. H., Park, Y. J., "An Study on the Relationship between Brand Image of Airlines and Purchasing Behavior of Passengers", Journal of The Aviation Management Society of Korea Academic conference, 2008, pp.135-151.
- Lee, Mi-Yun, "A Study on the Effects of Cabin Services to Customer's Selection", Master's degree, Thesis, Dankook University , 2005, pp.63-68.
- Yi, You Jae, La, Sun A, "The Relative Effects of Three Dimensions of Service Quality on CS -A Comparative Study of Existing vs. Potential Customers", Korea Marketing Review, 18(4), 2003, pp.67-97.
- Lee, J. M., Lee, J. H., "(A) study on the factors affecting an image of the cabin crews", Journal of The Aviation Management Society of Korea Academic conference, 2009.
- Myung Hee Jeong, Hee Jeong Hong, Jung Min Park, "Effects of the Culture Marketing of Airlines on Brand Image, Brand Equity and Brand Loyalty ", Journal of Event & Convention Research, 9(2), 2013, pp.105-125.
- Hee Jin Chung, Jae Sook Ryu, "A Study of The Influential Factors on Choice Behavior on the Brand Image of Airlines", Korea Convention Society, Journal of Convention Research, 5(3), 2005, pp.125-141.
- Young Hee Cho, Dae Sung Chang, Gyu Jin Chae, " A Study on Casual Model of Service Quality, Service Value, Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty of Airlines in Korea ", Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, 13(2), 2012, pp.1-23.
- Hwang, Y. Y., Kim, H. J., Choi, S. W., "The Impact of Service Encounter Quality to Airline loyalty", Journal of Industrial Economics and Business, 27(5), 2014, pp.2117-2143
- Hwang, H. J., "Impacts of Customers' Perception to the Corporate Sustainability Management on the Image of Airline Companies", Ph.D., Thesis, Sejong University 2011, pp.137-142
- Heo, H. Y., "Air tourism management", 2005, Myungkyungsa..
- Hyun, J., "A Study on the Relationship between Physical Circumstances and Service Quality in Airline : Focused on Design Management", Master's degree, Thesis, Korea Aerospace University , 2013, pp.65-67.
- Hong, Soon Nam, "A study of the influential factors on customer satisfaction of in-flight service quality to the image of airline brands.: Focus on the large airlines operate international routes", Master's degree, Thesis, Dankook University, 2012, pp.73.
- Media In-cheon Newspaper (2014. 08. 04) http://blog.daum.net/insufirst/7294507