- Volume 17 Issue 2
Aerodynamic loads for a horizontal axis wind turbine of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) Phase VI rotor in yawed condition were predicted by using the blade element momentum theorem. The classical blade element momentum theorem was complemented by several aerodynamic corrections and models including the Pitt and Peters' yaw correction, Buhl's wake correction, Prandtl's tip loss model, Du and Selig's three-dimensional (3-D) stall delay model, etc. Changes of the aerodynamic loads according to the azimuth angle acting on the span-wise location of the NREL Phase VI blade were compared with the experimental data with various yaw angles and inflow speeds. The computational flow chart for the classical blade element momentum theorem was adequately modified to accurately calculate the combined functions of additional corrections and models stated above. A successive under-relaxation technique was developed and applied to prevent possible failure during the iteration process. Changes of the angle of attack according to the azimuth angle at the specified radial location of the blade were also obtained. The proposed numerical procedure was verified, and the predicted data of aerodynamic loads for the NREL Phase VI rotor bears an extremely close resemblance to those of the experimental data.
horizontal axis wind turbine;aerodynamic loads;NREL Phase VI rotor;blade element momentum theorem (BEMT)
- GWEC, Global wind report 2014, Global Wind Energy Council, March, 2015.
- Kwag, D., Ryu, M., Kwon, O. and Bang, S., "Design and Installation of Meteorological Towers with Tripod Suction Piles for Offshore Wind Farms", The 24th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, 15-20 June, Busan, Korea, 2014.
- IEC-61400-1, Wind Turbine Generator Systems, Part 1: Safety Requirements. International Electrotechnical Commission, Geneva, Swiss, 2005.
- Jonkman, J. M. and Buhl Jr, M. L., FAST User's Guide, NREL/EL-500-29798, NREL, March, 2004.
- Glauert, H., "Aerodynamic Theory", Vol. IV, Division L, Airplane propeller, chapter XI, edited by Durand W. F., Dover Publication Inc., 1963.
- Wilson, R. E., Lissaman, P. B. S. and Walker, S. M., "Aerodynamic Performance of Wind Turbines", Research Report ERDA/NSF/04014-76, Oregon State University, 1976, pp. 1-126.
- Ryu, K. W., "Optimal Aerodynamic Design and Performance Analysis for Pitch-controlled HAWT", Journal of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 35, No. 10, 2007, pp. 891-898. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2007.35.10.891
- Lindenburg, C., "Investigation into Rotor Blade Aerodynamics: Analysis of the Stationary Measurements on the UAE Phase-VI Rotor in the NASA-Ames Wind Tunnel", ECN-C-03-025, ECN Wind Energy, 2003.
- Schepers, J. G., "Final Report of IEA Annex XX: Comparison Between Calculations and Measurements on a Wind Turbine in Yaw in the NASA-Ames Wind Tunnel", ECN-E-07-072, ECN Wind Energy, 2007.
- Himmelskamp, H., Profile Investigations on a Rotating Airscrew, Ph.D. Thesis, Gottingen University. Germany, 1945.
- Du, Z. and Selig, M. S., "A 3-D Stall Delay Model for Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine Performance Prediction", Proc. 1998 ASME Wind Energy Symposium, 36th AIAA Aerospace Science Meeting, AIAA 1998-0021, 1998.
- Viterna, L. A. and Corrigan, R. D., "Fixed Pitch Rotor Performance of Large Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines", Proceedings, Workshop on Large Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine, NASA, P-2203, DOE Publication. CONF-810752, Cleveland, OH: NASA Lewis Research Center, 1981, pp. 69-85.
- Buhl Jr, M. L., "A New Empirical Relationship Between Thrust Coefficient and Induction Factor for the Turbulent State", Technical Report NREL/TP-500-36834, 2005.
- Manwell, J. F., McGowan, J. G. and Rogers, A. L., Wind Energy Explained: Theory, Design and Applications, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2002.
- Moriarty, P. J. and Hansen, A. C., "AeroDyn Theory Manual", NREL/TP-500-36881, 2005
- Glauert, H., "A Classical Theory of the Autogyro", R&M No. 1111, British A. R. C., 1926.
- Pitt, D. M. and Peters, D. A., "Theoretical Prediction of Dynamic-inflow Derivatives", Vertica, Vol. 5, No. 1, 1981, pp. 21-34.
- Burton, T., Sharpe, D., Jenkins, N. and Bossanyi, E., Wind Energy Handbook, Wiley and Sons, New York, 2001.
- Schepers, J. G., "Final Report of IEA Annex XX: Comparison Between Calculations and Measurements on a Wind Turbine in Yaw in the NASA-Ames Wind Tunnel", ECN-E-07-072, 2007.
- Ramsay, R. R., Hoffmann, M. J. and Gregorek, G. M., "Effects of Grit Roughness and Pitch Ocillations on the S809 Airfoil", Revised (12/99), NREL/TP-442-7817, 1995.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)