- Volume 17 Issue 2
Even though the differential drag type machines of the vertical wind turbines are a bit less efficient than the lift type machines such as Darrieus type machines, they have an advantage of low starting torque. The flapping blade type wind turbine is a specific type of the differential drag machines, and it has no need for orientation as well as quite low starting torque. This work is to develop an innovative 5kW class flapping type vertical wind turbine system which will be applicable to a hybrid power generation system driven by the diesel engine and the wind turbine. The parametric study was carried out to decide an optimum aerodynamic configuration of the wind turbine blade. In order to evaluate the designed blade, the subscale wind tunnel test and the performance test were carried out, and their test results were compared with the analysis results.
Flapping Type Vertical Wind Turbine;Design;Analysis;Performance Test;Hybrid Power Generation System
- Kong, C. and J, Kim., "Structural Design of Medium Scale Composite Wind Turbine Blade", International Journal. of Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2000, pp. 92-102.
- Kong, C., Kim, T., Han, D. and Sugiyama, Y., "Investigation of Fatigue Life for a Medium Scale Composite Wind Turbine Blade", International Journal. of Fatigue, Vol. 28, No. 10, 2006, pp. 1382-1388. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2006.02.034
- Kong, C., Choi, S. and Park, H., "Investigation on Design for a 500W Wind Turbine Composite Blade Considering Impact Damage", Advanced Composite Materials, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2011, pp. 105-123. https://doi.org/10.1163/092430410X504215
- Eggleston, D. M. and Stoddard, F., Wind Turbine Engineering Design, 1987.
- Le, G. D., Wind Power Plants Theory and Design, Pergamon Press, 1982.
- Ushiyama, I., "Introduction to Wind Turbine Engineering", Morikita Ltd., 2003.
- Templin R. J., "Aerodynamic Performance Theory for the NRC Vertical Axis Wind Turbine", LRT-LA160. National Research Council: Canada, 1974.
- IEC 61400-02. Part 2: Design requirements for small wind turbine, IEC, 2006.
- IEC 1400-1. Wind turbine generator system. Part I. Safety Requirement, 1st ed., IEC, 1994.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Howon University