- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quantitative Assessment of Variation in Poroelastic Properties of Composite Materials Using Micromechanical RVE Models
Han, Su Yeon;Kim, Sung Jun;Shin, Eui Sup
- Received : 2015.07.07
- Accepted : 2016.04.06
- Published : 2016.06.30
A poroelastic composite material, containing different material phases and filled with fluids, serves as a model to formulate the overall ablative behaviors of such materials. This article deals with the assessment of variation in nondeterministic poroelastic properties of two-phase composite materials using micromechanical representative volume element (RVE) models. Considering the configuration and arrangement of pores in a matrix phase, various RVEs are modeled and analyzed according to their porosity. In order to quantitatively investigate the effects of microstructure, changes in effective elastic moduli and poroelastic parameters are measured via finite element (FE) analysis. The poroelastic parameters are calculated from the effective elastic moduli and the pore-pressure-induced strains. The reliability of the numerical results is verified through image-based FE models with the actual shape of pores in carbon-phenolic ablative materials. Additionally, the variation of strain energy density is measured, which can possibly be used to evaluate microstress concentrations.
poroelastic properties;composite materials;micromechanics;finite element analysis
- Coussy, O., Poromechanics, John Wiley & Sons, 2004.
- Kumpel, H. J., "Poroelasticity: parameters reviewed", Geophysical Journal International, Vol. 105, Issue 3, 1991, pp. 783-799. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.1991.tb00813.x
- Kim, S. J., Han, S. Y. and Shin, E. S., "Micromechanicsbased evaluation of poroelastic effect and stress concentration in thermochemically-decomposed composites", J. of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 27, Issue 10, 2013, pp. 3139-3147. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-013-0834-z
- Li, S. and Wang, G., Introduction to Micromechanics and Nanomechanics, World Scientific Publishing Co., 2008.
- Ghoniem, N. M., Busso, E. P., Kioussis, N. and Huang, H., "Multiscale modelling of nanomechanics and micromechanics: an overview", Philosophical Magazine, Vol. 83, Issue 31-34, 2003, pp. 3475-3528. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786430310001607388
- Wang, C. J., "The effects of resin thermal degradation on thermostructural response of carbon-phenolic composites and the manufacturing process of carboncarbon composites", J. of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 15, 1996, pp. 1011-1026. https://doi.org/10.1177/073168449601501003
- Bahramian, A. R., Kokabi, M., Famili, M. H. N. and Beheshty, M. H., "Ablation and thermal degradation behaviour of a composite based on resol type phenolic resin: process modeling and experimental", Polymer, Vol. 47, Issue 10, 2006, pp. 3661-3673. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2006.03.049
- Arnold, M., Boccaccini, A. R. and Ondracek, G., "Prediction of the Poisson's ratio of porous materials", J. of Materials Science, Vol. 31, Issue 6, 1996, pp. 1643-1646. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00357876
- Cheng, A. H. D., "Material coefficients of anisotropic poroelasticity", Int. J. of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 34, Issue 2, 1997, pp. 199-205. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-9062(96)00055-1
- Herakovich, C. T. and Baxter, S. C., "Influence of pore geometry on the effective response of porous media", J. of Materials Science, Vol. 34, Issue 10, 1999, pp. 1595-1609. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004528600213
- Kovacik, J., "Correlation between Young's modulus and porosity in porous materials", J. of Materials Science Letters, Vol. 18, Issue 13, 1999, pp. 1007-1010. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006669914946
- Pal, R., "Porosity-dependence of effective mechanical properties of pore-solid composite materials", J. Composite Materials, Vol. 39, No. 13, 2005, pp. 1147-1158. https://doi.org/10.1177/0021998305048744
- Roberts, A. P. and Garboczi, E. J., "Elastic properties of model porous ceramics", J. of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 83, No. 12, 2000, pp. 3041-3048. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1151-2916.2000.tb01680.x
- Meille, S. and Garboczi, E. J., "Linear elastic properties of 2D and 3D models of porous materials made from elongated objects", Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 5, 2001, pp. 371-390. https://doi.org/10.1088/0965-0393/9/5/303
- Roberts, A. P. and Garboczi, E. J., "Computation of the linear elastic properties of random porous materials with a wide variety of microstructure", Proceedings of the Royal Society London A, Vol. 458, Issue 2021, 2002, pp. 1033-1054. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2001.0900
- Li, B., Wang, B. and Reid, S. R., "Effective elastic properties of randomly distributed void models for porous materials", Int. J. of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 52, Issue 5, 2010, pp. 726-732. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2009.12.007
- Choi, H. K. and Shin, E. S., "Extended unmixingmixing scheme for prediction of 3D behavior of porous composites", J. of the Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol. 41, No. 2, 2013, pp. 91-97. https://doi.org/10.5139/JKSAS.2013.41.2.91
- Kujime, T., Tane, M., Hyun, S. K. and Nakajima, H., "Three-dimensional image-based modeling of lotus-type porous carbon steel and simulation of its mechanical behavior by finite element method", Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 460-461, 2007, pp. 220-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2007.01.101
- Sreeranganathan, A., Realistic micromechanical modeling and simulation of two-phase heterogeneous materials, Ph. D. Dissertation, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008.
- Bar-On, B. and Wagner, H. D., "Effective elastic moduli of multi-scale composites", Composites Science and Technology, Vol. 72, Issue 5, 2012, pp. 566-573. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2011.12.017
- Pulci, G., Tirillo, J., Marra, F., Fossati, F., Bartuli, C. and Valente, T., "Carbon-phenolic ablative materials for re-entry space vehicles: manufacturing and properties", Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 41, Issue 10, 2010, pp. 1483-1490. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2010.06.010
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)