- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
An Efficient Attitude Reference System Design Using Velocity Differential Vectors under Weak Acceleration Dynamics
- Lee, Byungjin ;
- Yun, Sukchang ;
- Lee, Hyung-Keun ;
- Lee, Young Jae ;
- Sung, Sangkyung
- Received : 2015.03.09
- Accepted : 2016.01.21
- Published : 2016.06.30
This paper proposes a new method achieving computationally efficient attitude reference system for low cost strapdown sensors and microprocessor platform. The main idea in this method is to define and compare velocity differential vectors, geometrically computed from INS and GPS data with different update rate, for generating attitude error measurements which is further used for filter construction. A quaternion based Kalman filter configuration is applied for the attitude estimation with the adapted measurement model of differential vector comparison. Linearized model for Extended Kalman Filter and low pass filtered characteristics of measurement greatly extend the affordability of the proposed algorithm to the field of simple low cost embedded systems. For performance verification, experiment are done employing a practical low cost MEMS IMU and GPS receiver specification. Performance comparison with a high grade navigation system demonstrated good estimation result.
attitude reference system;velocity differential;quaternion;Kalman filter;low cost MEMS;IMU
- Hua, M. D., "Attitude estimation for accelerated vehicles using GPS/INS measurements", Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 18, Issue 7, July 2010, pp. 723-732. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2010.01.016
- Martin, P. and Salaun, E., "Design and implementation of a low-cost observer-based attitude and heading reference system", Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 18, Issue 7, July 2010, pp. 712-722. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2010.01.012
- Martin, P. and Salaun, E., "The true role of accelerometer feedback in quadrotor control", Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, 2010.
- Pflimlin, J. M., Binetti, P., Soueres, P., Hamel, T. and Trouchet, D., "Modeling and attitude control analysis of a ducted-fan micro aerial vehicle", Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 14, 2006, pp. 1114-1120.
- Jiang, O., Zeng, Y., Liu, Q. and Jing, H., "Attitude and Heading Reference System for Quadrotor Based on MEMS Sensors", 2012 2nd IEEE International Conference on Instrumentation, Measurement, Computer, Communication and Control (IMCCC), Harbin, Chana, Dec. 2012.
- Sabatini, A. M., "Quaternion-Based Extended Kalman Filter for Determining Orientation by Inertial and Magnetic Sensing", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 53, No. 7, Jul. 2006.
- Tehrani, M. H., Garratt, M. A. and Anavatti, S., "Gyroscope Offset Estimation Using Panoramic Vision-Based Attitude Estimation and Extended Kalman Filter", 2012 2nd IEEE International Conference on Communications, Computing and Control Applications (CCCA), Marseilles, France, Dec. 2012.
- Madyastha, V. K., Ravindra, V. C., Vaitheeswaran, S. M. and Mallikarjunan, S., "A Novel INS/GPS Fusion Architecture for Aircraft Navigation", 2012 15th International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION), Singapore, Jul. 2012.
- Skog, I., "A Low-Cost GPS Aided Inertial Navigation System for Vehicular Applications", Master's thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, Mar. 2005, IR-SBEX-0506.
- Schumacher, A., "Integration of a GPS aided Strapdown Inertial Navigation System for Land Vehicles", Master's thesis, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden, Mar. 2006, XR-EE-SB 2006:006.
- Inman, D. J., Engineering Vibrations, 3rd Ed., Prentice Hall Inc., New Jersey, 2001.
- Titterton, D. H. and Weston, J. L., Strapdown inertial navigation technology, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., Stevenage, Herts, 1997.
- Bar-Itzhack, I. Y. and Oshman, Y., "Attitude determination from vector observations: Quaternion estimation", IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst, Vol. AES-21, No. 1, 1985, pp. 128-136. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.1985.310546
- Chapra, S. C. and Canale, R. P., Numerical Methods for Engineers, 5th Ed. McGraw-Hill Companies Inc., New York, 2006.
- Grewal, M. S. and Andrews, A. P., Kalman Filtering, 3rd Ed. John Wiley and Sons Inc., New Jersey, 2008.
- Lewis, F. L, Applied Optimal Control And Estimation, Prentice Hall Inc., New Jersey, 1992.
- Ang, W. T., Khosla, P. and Riviere, C., "Kalman filtering for Real-Time Orientation Tracking of Handheld Microsurgical Instrument", Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Vol. 3, 2004, pp. 2574-2580.
- Hoffman-Wellenhof, B., Lichtenegger, H. and Wasle, E., GNSS - Global Navigation Satellite Systems, Springer Wien NewYork, 2008.
- Metnia, N., Pflimlinb, J. M., Hamelc, T. and Soueresb, P., "Attitude and gyro bias estimation for a VTOL UAV", Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 14, 2006, pp. 1511-1520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2006.02.015
- Jurman, D., Jankovec, M., Kamnik, R. and Topic, M., "Calibration and data fusion solution for the miniature attitude and heading reference system", Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol. 138, No. 2, 2007, pp. 411-420. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2007.05.008
- Romanovas, M., Klingbeil, L., Trachtler, M. and Manoli, Y., "Efficient orientation estimation algorithm for low cost inertial and magnetic sensor systems", IEEE/SP 15th Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, SSP'09, Cardiff, 2009, pp. 586-589.
- Sabatini, A. M., "Quaternion-based extended Kalman filter for determining orientation by inertial and magnetic sensing", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2006, pp. 1346-1356. https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2006.875664
- Hemerly, E. M., Maciel, B. C., de P. Milhan, A. and Schad, V. R., "Attitude and heading reference system with acceleration compensation", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 84, Issue 2, 2012, pp. 87-93. https://doi.org/10.1108/00022661211207893
- An Efficient Integrated Attitude Determination Method Using Partially Available Doppler Measurement Under Weak GPS Environment pp.2005-4092, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-017-0499-y
- Attitude Determination Algorithm based on Relative Quaternion Geometry of Velocity Incremental Vectors for Cost Efficient AHRS Design vol.19, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0030-6
Supported by : Korea Institute for Advancement of Technology(MOTIE), National Research Fund