- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
FPGA based HW/SW co-design for vision based real-time position measurement of an UAV
- Kim, Young Sik (Department of Aerospace Engineering Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Jeong Ho (Department of Aerospace Engineering Pusan National University) ;
- Han, Dong In (Department of Aerospace Engineering Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Mi Hyun (Department of Aerospace Engineering Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Ji Hoon (Department of Aerospace Engineering Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Dae Woo (Department of Aerospace Engineering Pusan National University)
- Received : 2015.10.08
- Accepted : 2016.06.15
- Published : 2016.06.30
Recently, in order to increase the efficiency and mission success rate of UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles), the necessity for formation flights is increased. In general, GPS (Global Positioning System) is used to obtain the relative position of leader with respect to follower in formation flight. However, it can't be utilized in environment where GPS jamming may occur or communication is impossible. Therefore, in this study, monocular vision is used for measuring relative position. General PC-based vision processing systems has larger size than embedded systems and is hard to install on small vehicles. Thus FPGA-based processing board is used to make our system small and compact. The processing system is divided into two blocks, PL(Programmable Logic) and PS(Processing system). PL is consisted of many parallel logic arrays and it can handle large amount of data fast, and it is designed in hardware-wise. PS is consisted of conventional processing unit like ARM processor in hardware-wise and sequential processing algorithm is installed on it. Consequentially HW/SW co-designed FPGA system is used for processing input images and measuring a relative 3D position of the leader, and this system showed RMSE accuracy of 0.42 cm ~ 0.51 cm.
Grant : 기초연구
Supported by : 한국과학기술원
- Kim, Y. J., Lee, J. Y., Park, H. J., Lee, D. and Bang, H., "Real-time Implementation of Vision-based Pose Estimation for UAV Aerial Refueling" KSAS Spring Symposium, 2011, pp. 633-637.
- Oh, S. M. and Johnson, E. N., "Relative Motion Estimation for Vision-based Formation Flight using Unscented Kalman Filter", AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference and Exhibit, 2007. DOI : 10.2514/6.2007-6866 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2007-6866
- Mahboubi, Z., Kolter, Z., Wang, T., Bower, G. and Ng, A. Y., "Camera Based Localization for Autonomous UAV Formation Flight", AIAA Infotech@Aerospace 2011, Vol. 3, pp. 2631-2643. DOI : 10.2514/6.2011-1658 https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2011-1658
- Kim, J. H., Heo, J. W., Shin, J. K., Lee, D. W., Cho, K. R. and Hur, G. B., "Measurement of the 3-dimensional Relative Position of the Leader during Formation Flight" KSAS Fall Conference, 2012.
- Cheon, B. K., Kim, J. H., Lee, D. H. and Cho, K. R., "Guidance and Control Algorithm Considering Position and Attitude of Leader for Formation Flight" KSAS Fall Conference, 2014, pp. 353-356.
- Elamaran, V., Praveen, A., Reddy, M. S., Aditya, L. V. and Suman, K., "FPGA Implementation of Spatial Image Filters using Xilinx System Generator", ICMOC 2012, Vol. 38, pp. 2244-2249. DOI : 10.1016/j.proeng.2012.06.270 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2012.06.270
- Raut, N. P. and Gokhale, A. V., "FPGA Implementation for Image Processing Algorithms Using Xilinx System Generator", IOSR-JVSP, Vol. 2, 2013, pp. 26-36. DOI : 10.9790/4200-0242636 https://doi.org/10.9790/4200-0242636
- Moreo, A. T., Lorente, P. N., Valles, F. S., Muro, J. S. and Andres, C. F., "Experiences on Developing Computer Vision Hardware Algorithms using Xilinx System Generator", ICMMM, Vol. 29, 005, pp. 411-419. DOI : 10.1016/j.micpro.2004.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micpro.2004.11.002
- Hung, Y., Yeh, P. S. and Harwood, D., "Passive Ranging to Know Planar Point Sets", Proc. IEEE International Conference. Robotics and Automation, 1985, pp. 80-85. DOI : 10.1109/robot.1985.1087376 https://doi.org/10.1109/robot.1985.1087376
- Hardware Implementation of KLT Tracker for Real-Time Intruder Detection and Tracking Using On-board Camera pp.2093-2480, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s42405-018-0131-2