- Volume 17 Issue 2
Aircraft manufacturing companies have to consider multiple derivatives to satisfy various market requirements. They modify or extend an existing aircraft to meet new market demands while keeping the development time and cost to a minimum. Many researchers have studied the derivative design process, but these research efforts consider baseline and derivative designs together, while using the whole set of design variables. Therefore, an efficient process that can reduce cost and time for aircraft derivative design is needed. In this research, a more efficient design process is proposed which obtains global changes from local changes in aircraft design in order to develop aircraft derivatives efficiently. Sensitivity analysis was introduced to remove unnecessary design variables that have a low impact on the objective function. This prevented wasting computational effort and time on low priority variables for design requirements and objectives. Additionally, uncertainty from the fidelity of analysis tools was considered in design optimization to increase the probability of optimization results. The Reliability Based Design Optimization (RBDO) and Possibility Based Design Optimization (PBDO) methods were proposed to handle the uncertainty in aircraft conceptual design optimization. In this paper, Collaborative Optimization (CO) based framework with RBDO and PBDO was implemented to consider uncertainty. The proposed method was applied for civil jet aircraft derivative design that increases cruise range and the number of passengers. The proposed process provided deterministic design optimization, RBDO, and PBDO results for given requirements.
Reliability Based Design Optimization;Possibility Based Design Optimization;Aircraft Conceptual Design;Derivative Design
- Kumar, D., Chen, W. and Simpson, T. W., "A Market-Driven Approach to the Design of Platform-Based Product Families", 11th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Portsmouth, 2006.
- Yearsley, J. D. and Mattson, C. A., "Interactive Design of Combined Scale-based and Module-based Product Family Platforms", 12th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Victoria, 2008.
- Simpson, T. W. and D'Souza, B., "Assessing Variable Levels of Platform Commonality Within A Product Family Using A Multiobjective Genetic Algorithm", Concurrent Engineering, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2004, pp. 119-129. https://doi.org/10.1177/1063293X04044383
- Simpson, T. W., Bobuk, A., Slingerland, L. A., Brenna, S., Logan, D. and Reichard, K., "From User Requirements to Commonality Specifications: an Integrated Approach to Product Family Design", Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 23, No. 2, 2012, pp. 141-153. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00163-011-0119-4
- Kudikala, R., Mills, A. R., Fleming, P. J., Tanner, G. F. and Holt, J. E., "Real World System Architecture Design Using Multi-criteria Optimization: A Case Study", EVOLVE - A Bridge between Probability, Set Oriented Numerics, 245 and Evolutionary Computation IV, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Vol. 227, 2013, pp. 245-260.
- Moon, S. K., Park, K. J. and Simpson, T. W., "Platform Design Variable Identification for a Product Family Using Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization", Research in Engineering Design, Vol. 25, Issue 2, 2014, pp. 95-108. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00163-013-0166-0
- Lim, D. and Mavris, D. N., "A Design Methodology for Lifelong Aircraft Evolution", 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Orlando, 2010.
- Allison, J., Roth, B., Kokkolaras, M., Kroo, I. and Papalambros, P. Y., "Aircraft Family Design Using Decomposition-based Methods", 11th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Portsmouth, 2006.
- Youn, B. D., Choi, K. K. and Du, L., "Enriched Performance Measure Approach for Reliability-Based Design Optimization", AIAA Journal, Vol. 43, No. 4, 2005, pp. 874-884. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.6648
- Du, L., Choi, K. K., Youn, B. D. and Gorsich, D., "Possibility-Based Design Optimization Method for Design Problems with Both Statistical and Fuzzy Input Data", Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 128, No. 4, 2006, pp. 928-936. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2204972
- Sumita, J., "An Application of Fuzzy Expert Concept for Unmanned Air Vehicles", 2nd AIAA Unmanned Unlimited Systems, Technologies, and Operations - Aerospace, Land, and Sea Conference, San Diego, 2003.
- Hibma, R. and Wegner, D., "The Evolution of a Strategic Bomber", AlAA 1981 Annual Meeting and Technical Display, Long Beach, California, 1981.
- Brown, R. B. and Swihart, J. M., "A New Family of Passenger Friendly Commercial Air Transports", 39th AIAA Aerospace Sciences, Meeting & Exhibit, Reno, 2001.
- Neufeld, D., Chung, J. and Behdinan, K., "Aircraft Conceptual Design Optimization Considering Fidelity Uncertainties", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 48, No. 5, 2011, pp. 1602-1612. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C031312
- Neufeld, D., Nhu-Van, N., Lee, J. W. and Kim, S. A., "Multidisciplinary Possibility Approach to Light Aircraft Conceptual Design", 53rd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Honolulu, 2012.
- Jaeger, L., Gogu, C., Segonds, S. and Bes, C., "Aircraft Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Under Both Model and Design Variables Uncertainty", Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 50, No. 2, 2013, pp. 528-538. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C031914
- Park, H. U., Chung, J., Lee, J. W., Behdinan, K. and Neufeld, D., "Reliability and Possibility Based Multidisciplinary Design Optimization for Aircraft Conceptual Design", 11th AIAA Aviation Technology, Integration, and Operations (ATIO) conference, Virginia Beach, 2011.
- Jackson, P., Jane's All The World's Aircraft, Jane's Information Group Inc., 2005.
- Airbus, http://www.airbus.com.
- The Boeing Company, http://www.boeing.com.
- Bombardier Aerospace, http://www.bombardier.com/en/aerospace.html.
- Embraer, http://www.embraer.com.
- Raymer, D., Aircraft design: a Conceptual Approach. Reston VA: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 3rd ed., Inc., Reston, VA, 1999.
- Torenbeek, E., Synthesis of Subsonic Airplane Design. Delft Univ. Pr., 1976.
- Altman, A., "A Parametric Study on Design Variables Effecting HALE UAV Aircraft Design for a Conventional Configuration", Proceedings of the 1st AIAA Technical Conference and Workshop on Unmanned Aerospace Vehicles, Virginia, 2002.
- Malone, B. and Mason, W. H., "Aircraft Concept Development Using Global Sensitivity Approach and Algebraic Technology Models", VPI-Aero-184, 1991.
- Compaq Visual Fortran Professional Edition, 2000.
- Thunnissen, D. P., "Uncertainty Classification for the Design and Development of Complex Systems", 3rd Annual Predictive Methods Conference, Newport Beach, 2003.
- Uebelhart, S. A., Mille, D. W. and Blaurock, C., "Uncertainty Characterization in Integrated Modeling", 46th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics & Materials Conference, Austin, 2005.
- Zadeh, L. A., "Fuzzy Sets", Information and Control, Vol. 8, No. 3, 1965, pp. 338-353. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0019-9958(65)90241-X
- Savoia, M., "Structural Reliability Analysis Through Fuzzy Number Approach, with Application to Stability", Computers & Structures, Vol. 80, No. 12, 2002, pp. 1087-1102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(02)00068-8
- Braun, R. D. and Kroo, I. M., Development and application of the collaborative optimization architecture I n a multidisciplinary design environment, Technical Report, NASA Langley Technical Report Server, 1995.
- Koch, P. N., Wujek, B. and Golovidov, O., "A Multistage, Parallel Implementation of Probabilistic Design Optimization in an MDO Framework", Proceeding of the 8th AIAA/USAF/NASA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, Long Beach, 2000.
- Du, X. and Chen, W., "An Efficient Approach to Probabilistic Uncertainty Analysis in Simulation-based Multidisciplinary Design", Proceedings of the 38th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, 2000.
- Jeon, Y. H., Jun, S., Kang, S. and Lee, D. H., "Systematic Design Space Exploration and Rearrangement of the MDO Problem by Using Probabilistic Methodology", Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 26, No. 9, 2012, pp. 2825-2836. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-012-0735-6
- Ahn, J. and Kwon, J. H., "An Efficient Strategy for Reliability-based Multidisciplinary Design Optimization Using BLISS", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 31, 2006, pp. 363-372. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-005-0565-6
- McDonald, M. and Mahadevan, S., "All-atonce Multidisciplinary Optimization with System and Component-Level Reliability Constraints", Proceedings of the 12th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Victoria, 2008.
- Du, X., Guo, J. and Beeram, H., "Sequential Optimization and Reliability Assessment for Multidisciplinary Systems Design", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 35, 2008, pp. 117-130. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-007-0121-7
- Neufeld, D., Behdinan, K. and Chung, J., "Aircraft Wing Box Optimization Considering Uncertainty in Surrogate Models", Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 42, No. 2, 2010, pp. 745-753. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-010-0532-8
- Park, H. U., Chung, J., Lee, J. W. and Behdinan, K., "Uncertainty Based MDO for Aircraft Conceptual Design", Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, Vol. 87, Issue 4, 2015, pp. 345-356. https://doi.org/10.1108/AEAT-07-2013-0128
- Park, H. U., Chung, J., Behdinan, K. and Lee, J. W., "Multidisciplinary Wing Design Optimization Considering Global Sensitivity and Uncertainty of Approximation Models", Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 28, Issue 6, June 2014, pp. 2231-2242. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-014-0127-1
- Athanasopoulos, G., Riba, C. R. and Athanasopoulou, C., "A Decision Support System for Coating Selection Based on Fuzzy Logic and Multi-criteria Decision Making", Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 36, Issue 8, 2009, pp. 10848-10853. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.01.016
- Sobol', I. Y. M., "On Sensitivity Estimates for Nonlinear Mathematical Models", Matem Modelirovanie, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1990, pp. 112-118, [in Russian]. English translation : Math Model Comput Exp, Vol. 1, No. 4, 1993, pp. 407-414.
- Frey, H. C. and Patil, S. R., "Identification and Review of Sensitivity Analysis Methods", Risk Analysis, Vol. 22, No. 3, 2002, pp. 553-578. https://doi.org/10.1111/0272-4332.00039
- Saltelli, A. and Annoni, P., "How to Avoid a Perfunctory Sensitivity Analysis", Environmental Modeling & Software, Vol. 25, No. 12, 2010, pp. 1508-1517. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2010.04.012
- Yang, J., "Convergence and Uncertainty Analyses in Monte-Carlo Based Sensitivity Analysis", Environmental Modeling & Software, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2011, pp. 444-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2010.10.007
- Saltelli, A. and Sobol', I., "About the Use of Rank Transformation in Sensitivity Analysis of Model Output", Reliability Engineering & System Safety, Vol. 50, No. 3, 1995, pp. 225-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/0951-8320(95)00099-2
- Du, L., Choi, K. K., Youn, B. D. and Gorsich, D., "Possibility-based Design Optimization Method for Design Problems with Both Statistical and Fuzzy Input Data", Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 128, No. 928, 2006, pp. 928-936. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2204972
- Youn, B. D., Choi, K. K., Gu, L. and Yang, R. J., "Reliability-based Design Optimization for Crashworthiness of Side Impact", Journal of Structural Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 26, No. 3, 2004, pp. 272-283. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-003-0345-0
- Lee, I., Choi, K. K., Noh, Y. and Lamb, D., "Comparison Study Between Probabilistic and Possibilistic Methods for Problems Under a Lack of Correlated Input Statistical Information", Structural Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 47, 2013, pp. 175-189. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-012-0833-1
- Cremona, C. and Gao, Y., "The Possibilistic Reliability Theory: Theoretical Aspects and Applications", Structural Safety, Vol. 19, No. 2, 1997, pp. 173-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(97)00093-3
- Zhao, D. and Xue, D., "Parametric Design with Neural Network Relationships and Fuzzy Relationships Considering Uncertainties", Computers in Industry, Vol. 61, 2010, pp. 287-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compind.2009.10.005
- He, L. P. and Qu, F. Z., "Possibility and Evidence Theory-based Design Optimization: an Overview", Kybernetes, Vol. 37, Issue 9/10, 2008, pp. 1322-1330. https://doi.org/10.1108/03684920810907616
- Venter, G. and Scotti, S. J., "Accounting for Proof Test Data in a Reliability-Based Design Optimization Framework", AIAA Journal, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2012, pp. 2159-2167. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J051495
- Weck, O., Eckert, C. and Clarkson, J., "A Classification of Uncertainty for Early Product and System Design", International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED'07, 2007.
- Sahinidis, N. V., "Optimization Under Uncertainty: State-of-the-art and Opportunities", Computers and Chemical Engineering, Vol. 28, 2004, pp. 971-983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compchemeng.2003.09.017
Supported by : NSERC (National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada), National Research Foundation of Korea