- Volume 36 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development and Management of the Advanced STEAM Teacher Training Program
STEAM 심화과정 교사연수 프로그램 개발 및 운영
- Received : 2016.03.25
- Accepted : 2016.05.12
- Published : 2016.06.30
The purpose of this study is to investigate implications for future STEAM education by analyzing the surveys by the in-service teachers who participated in the Advanced STEAM Teacher Training Program(ASTTP) for raising interests and understanding of science and technology and nurturing STEAM literacy and problem-solving ability of students. ASTTP was developed for promoting 'teacher competence for STEAM.' ASTTP is a 60-hour program(4 credits), which includes offline intensive course of 38 hours, online training course of 12 hours, a course of implementation at schools for 5 hours, and a workshop for 5 hours (based on the 2014 program). For the offline intensive course, teachers take various professional development classes and activities, such as open-laboratory tours, advanced experiments, mentoring programs, and team projects as well as lectures on diverse disciplines. For the online course, teachers take online classes freely while they are encouraged to work with other teachers in groups. After taking both online and offline courses, the teachers are required to implement their STEAM lesson plans in their classrooms. Finally at the workshop, some selected teachers share how successfully they have implemented STEAM education. About 700 teachers have successfully taken the program from 2012 to 2014. Based on the surveys by the teachers, the program has been modified and improved. Our analysis shows increased professional development in STEAM education for the participating teachers. This study can provide some implication and helpful insights for people who need to develop and manage teacher training programs for STEAM education and other education programs in general.
STEAM education;teacher training program;teacher competence;primary teachers;secondary teachers;science education;STEAM
- Baek, S., Ham, E. Lee, J., Shin, H., & Yu, Y. (2007). A theoretical inquiry on the construct for teaching competence in secondary school. Asian Journal of Education, 8(1), 47-69. https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2007.8.1.003
- Borko, H. (2004) Professional development and teacher learning: Mapping the terrain. Educational Researcher, 33(8), 3-15.
- Brookhart, S. M. (2009). Exploring formative assessment. Alexandria, VA:ASCD.
- Chae, H., Noh, S. (2014). Research Articles : Analysis of teachers' stages of concern and levels of use on STEAM of the 2009 elementary science curriculum. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 33(4), 634-645. https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2014.33.4.634
- Cho, S., Park, C. (2013). The analysis on degree of concerns for STEAM education of elementary school teachers. Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, 25(3), 743-755. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2013.25.3.743
- Clarke, D., & Hollingsworth, H. (2002). Elaborating a model of teacher professional growth. Teaching and Teacher Education, 18(8), 947-967. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(02)00053-7
- Cochran-Smith, M., & Lytle, S. L. (1999). Relationships of knowledge and practice: Teacher learning in communities. Review of Research in Education, 24, 249-305.
- Geum, Y., Bae, A. (2012). The recognition and needs of elementary school teachers about STEAM education. The Journal of Korean Institute of Industrial Education, 37(2), 57-75.
- Grant, C. A. (2008). Teacher capacity: Introduction to the section. In M. Cochran-Smith, S. Feiman-Nemser, D. J. McIntyre & K. E. Demers (Eds.), Handbook of research on teacher education: Enduring questions in changing contexts (pp. 127-133). New York, NY: Association of Teacher Educators.
- Greene, C. (2007). Mixed methods in social inquiry (Vol. 9). John Wiley & Sons.
- Han, H., Lee, H. (2012). A study on the teachers' perceptions and needs of STEAM education. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 12(3), 573-603.
- Hwang, E., & Baek, S. (2008). A comparative research on the results between self-reported evaluation and experts' evaluation of practical teaching competence in secondary school. Journal of Educational Evaluation, 21(2), 53-74.
- Hollins, E. R. (2011). Teacher preparation for quality teaching. Journal of Teacher Education, 62(4), 395-407. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487111409415
- Howe, A. C. & Stubbs, H. S. (2003). From science teacher to teacher leader: Leadership development as meaning making in a community of practice. Science Education, 87(2), 281-297. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10022
- Kang, S., Lee, H., Kim, Y., & Kim, K. (2008). The perception of in-service and pre-service science teachers of the training program, and the practical use of advanced science laboratory equipment. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 28(3), 880-889.
- Kim, J. (2011). Teacher training models and practical strategies for the field-oriented blended learning, Journal of Education & Culture, 17(1), 33-57. https://doi.org/10.24159/joec.2011.17.1.33
- Kim, J. & Lee, G. (2005). Logical investigation on the teachers' self-evaluation strategy of instructional competence for improving quality of instruction. Journal of Educational Evaluation, 18(3), 19-38.
- Kim, S., Chung, Y., Woo, A., & Lee, H. (2012). Development of a theoretical model for STEAM education. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 32(2), 388-401. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.2.388
- Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science and Creativity. (2015). Easy and visible introduction on STEAM education. Korea Foundation by the Achievement of Science & Creativity. Seoul.
- Kolb, A. & Kolb, D. A. (2001). Experiential learning theory bibliography 1971-2001, Boston, Ma.: McBer and Co, [http://trgmcber.haygroup.com/Products/learning/bibliography.htm]
- Kwon, N. & Ahn, J. (2012). The analysis on domestic research trends for convergence and integrated science education. Journal of Korea Association for Science Education, 32(2), 265-278. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.2.265
- Lee. E. (2012). Study on the awareness of the high school teachers regarding 'Science' of the revised curriculum 2009 (Master's thesis). Korea National University of Education, Cheongju.
- Lee, J., Park, H., Kim, J. (2013). Primary teachers' perception analysis on development and application of STEAM education program. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 32(1), 47-59.
- Lee, J., Shin, Y. (2014). An analysis of elementary school teachers' difficulties in the STEAM class. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 33(3), 588-596. https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2014.33.3.588
- Lim, S., Kim, Y., Lee, T. (2014). Analysis of Elementary School Teachers' Perception on Field Application of STEAM Education. Journal of Science Education, 38(1), 133-143. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2014.38.1.133
- McDiarmid, G. W., & Clevenger-Bright, M. (2008). Rethinking teacher capacity. In M. Cochran-Smith, S. Feiman-Nemser, D. J. McIntyre & K. E. Demers (Eds.), Handbook of research on teacher education: Enduring questions in changing contexts (pp. 134-156). New York, NY: Association of Teacher Educators.
- Ministry of Education, Science & Technology. (2010). 2011 Business Report: Window to open the creative talent and the advanced science and technology future of republic of Korea.
- Noh, H., & Paik, S. (2014). STEAM experienced teachers' perception of STEAM in secondary education. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 14(10), 375-402.
- Noh, H., & Choi, M. (2004). The development of the teaching competency model for HRD(Human Resources Development). Journal of Employment and Skills Development, 7(2), 1-28.
- Palincsar, A. S., Magnussen, S. J., Marano, N., Ford, D., & Brown, N. (1998). Designing a community of practice: Principles and practices of the GIsML community. Teaching and Teacher Education, 14(1), 5-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0742-051X(97)00057-7
- Park, H., Kim, Y., Noh, S., Lee, J., Chung, J., Choi, Y., Han, H., & Paik, Y. (2012). Components of 4C-STEAM education and a checklist for the instructional design. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 12(4), 553-557.
- Popham, W. J. (2008). Transformative assessment. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Seo, K. (2009b). Teachers' experience of reconstructing national curriculum. The Korean Society For Curriculum Studies, 27(3), 159-189.
- Sergiovanni, T., & Strarratt, R. (2007). Supervision: A redefinition (8th ed.). New York: McGraw Hill.
- Shin, D., Kim, J., Kim, R., Lee, J., Lee, H., & Lee, J. (2012). Development of interdisciplinary teacher education programs. Journal of Research in Curriculum & Instruction, 16(1), 371-398. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2012.16.1.371
- Shin, J. (2013). Survey of primary & secondary school teachers' recognition about STEAM convergence education. Korean Journal of Learning Science, 7(2), 29-53.
- Shin, Y., & Han, S. (2011). A study of the elementary school teachers' perception in STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Mathematics) education. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 30(4), 514-523.
- Smith, K. S., & Simpson, R. D. (1995). Validating teacher competencies for faculty members in higher education: A national study using the delphi method. Innovative Higher Education, 19, 223-234. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01191221
- Son, Y., Jung, S., Kwon, S., Kim, H., & Kim, D. (2012). Analysis of prospective and in-service teachers' awareness of STEAM convergent education institute. For Humanities and Social Scienwces, 13(1), 255-284.
- Song, S., Nam, B., Kim, H., Han, H., & Shim, K. (2012). Study on perceptions of high school students and science teachers about high school fusing science, Journal of Science Education, 36(1), 130-138. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2012.36.1.130
- Sung, C., & Chung, Y. (2013). Secondary science teachers' attitudes toward teaching and teaching anxiety when they teach in a non-major science field. Journal of Research in Curriculum Instruction, 17(2), 281-295. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2013.17.2.281
- Yoo, J., Hwang, S., & Hahn, I. (2016). A comparative study of perceptions on STEAM education by the primary and secondary school teachers who participated in the advanced STEAM teacher training program. Journal of Research in Curriculum & Instruction, 20(1), 50-58. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2016.20.1.50
- Yoon, H., Yoon, W., & Woo, A. (2011). High school science teachers' perceptions of the 2009 revised science curriculum and the science textbook. Journal of Research in Curriculum Instruction, 15(3), 757-776. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2011.15.3.757
- Wenger, E. (1998). Communities of practice: Learning, meaning, and identity. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Woo, J. (2013). A qualitative research on the high school teachers' perception STEAM education (Master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Seo, K. (2009a). Teacher learning communities and professional development. The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, 26(2), 243-276. https://doi.org/10.24211/tjkte.2009.26.2.243
Supported by : 한국과학창의재단