- Volume 26 Issue 2
Objectives: This study was conducted to evaluate the total heavy metals contents and chemical forms in the animal manure compost. Materials and methods: A total of 109 compost samples were collected throughout the country and classified into three groups in accordance with the raw materials; pig manure, poultry manure and mixed(pig+poultry+cattle) manure. The compost samples were analyzed for total metal content and sequential chemical extraction to estimate the quantities of metals. Results: Concentrations of Zn and Cu in several compost samples were higher than the maximum acceptable limits by the Korea Compost Quality Standards. Concentrations of Zn, Cu, and Cd in compost samples were 257~5,102, 68~1,243, and 0.02~2.54 mg/kg respectively, while Cr, Ni, As, and Pb were < 20 mg/kg. The concentrations of heavy metals in pig manure compost were higher than those of both the poultry and the mixed manure compost. The predominant forms for extracted metals were Cr, Ni, Zn, As, and Pb, residual; Cu, organic; and Cd, carbonate. Conclusions: Results indicate that the Zn and Cu contents in compost were higher than other heavy metals and the heavy metal contents were greater in pig manure compost followed by mixed and poultry manure compost. To prevent the accumulation of heavy metals in soil where animal manure compost is applied, strategy for reducing heavy metal concentrations in animal manure and compost must be considered.
animal manure;compost;copper;heavy metal;metal speciation;zinc
- Bernal MP, Roig A, Lax A, and Navarro AF. Effects of the application of pig slurry on some physico-chemical and physical properties of calcareous soils. Bioresource Technology 1992;42:233-239 https://doi.org/10.1016/0960-8524(92)90026-T
- Brock EH, Ketterings QM, McBride M. Copper and zinc accumulation in poultry and dairy manure-amended fields. Soil Science 2006;171(5):388-399
- Chen HY, Teng YG, Lu SJ, Wans YY, Wang JS. Contamination features and health risk of soil heavy metals in China. Total Environ 2015;512-523
- Emmerich WE, Lund LJ, Page AL. Chang AC. Solid phase forms of heavy metals in sewage sludge-treated soils. J Environ Qua 1982;l11:178-181
- Epstein E. The Science of Composting. Technomic Publishing, Pennsylvania, USA. 1997.
- Fleming GA, Mordenti A. The Production of Animal Wastes. European Conference on Environment and Agriculture, Stock Farming in Europe, Mantua, Italy. 1991.
- Genevini PL, Adani F, Borio D, Tambone F. Heavy metal content in selected European commercial composts. Compost Science and Utilization 1997;5(4):31-39 https://doi.org/10.1080/1065657X.1997.10701895
- Greenway GM, Song QJ. Heavy metal speciation in the composting process. J Environ Monit 2002;4:300-305 https://doi.org/10.1039/b110608m
- He XT, Logan TJ, Traina SJ. Physical and chemical characteristics of selected U. S. municipal solid waste composts. J Environ Qual 1995;24:543-552
- Hsu JH, Lo SL. Effect of composting on characterization and leaching of copper, manganese, and zinc from swine manure. Environmental Pollution 2001;114:119-127 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(00)00198-6
- Jongbloed AW, Poulsen HD, Dourmad JY, Van der Peer-Schwering CMC. Environmental and legislative aspects of pig production in The Netherlands, France and Denmark. Livestock Production Science 1999;58:243-249 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00012-3
- King LD, Burns JC, Westerman PW. 1990. Long-term swine lagoon effluent applications on 'Coastal' bermudagrass: I. Effect on nutrient accumulation in soil. J Environ Qual 1990;19:756-760
- Ko HJ, Choi HL, Kim KY. Heavy metal speciation in compost derived from the different animal manures. J Anim Sci & Technol 2004;46(2):273-282 https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.2.273
- LeClaire JP, Chang AC, Levesque CS, Sposito G. Trace metal Chemistry in arid-zone field soils amended with sewage sludge. 4. Correlation between zinc uptake and extracted soil zinc fractions. Soil Sci Soc Am J 1984;48:509-513 https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1984.03615995004800030008x
- Menzi H, Kessler J. Heavy metal content of manures in Switzerland. In: Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference of the FAO Network on Recycling of Agricultural. Municipal and Industrial Residues in Agriculture. 1998
- Miller WP, Martens DC, Zelazny LW, Kornegay ET. Forms of solid phase copper in copper-enriched swine manure. J Environ Qual 1986;15(1):69-72
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affair(MAFRA). Agriculture and livestock condition statistics. 2015.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affair(MAFRA). Control of Livestock and Fish Feed Act. 2010.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affair(MAFRA). Fertilizer Control Act. 2015.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affiar(MAFRA). Byproduct fertilizer quality inspection report. 2013.
- Moore PAJr, Daniel TC, Gilmour JT, Shreve BR, Edwards DR, Wood BH. Decreasing metal runoff from poultry litter with aluminum sulfate. J Environ Qual 1998;27:92-99
- Moral R, Paredes C, Bustamante MA, Marhuenda-Egea F, Bernal MP. Utilization of manure composts by high-value crops: Safety and environmental challenges. Bioresource Technology 2009;100(22):5454-5460 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.12.007
- Mullins GL, Martens DC, Miller WP, Kornegay ET, Hallock DL. Copper availability, form and mobility in soils from three-annual cooper-enriched hog manure applications. J Environ Qual 1982;11:316-320
- Nicholson FA, Chambers BJ, Williams JR, Unwin RJ. Heavy metal contents of livestock feeds and animal manures in England and Wales. Bioresource Technology 1999;70:23-31 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(99)00017-6
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine(10th Ed.). National Academy Press, Washington, DC. 1998.
- Petruzzelli G. Recycling wastes in agriculture: Heavy metal bioavailability. Agri Ecosyst Environ 1989;27:493-503 https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8809(89)90110-2
- Pichtel J, Anderson M. Trace metal bioavailability in municipal solid waste and sewage sludge composts. Bioresource Technology 1997;60:223-229 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(97)00025-4
- Rural Development Administration(RDA). Fertilizer legal standard guideline. 2015.
- SAS Institute Inc. SAS user's guide. SAS Inst., Inc., Gary, NC. 2012.
- Sims JT, Wolf DC. Poultry manure management: Agricultural and environmental issues. Adv Agron 1994;52:1-83 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2113(08)60621-5
- Sposito G, Lund LJ, Chang AC. Trace metal chemistry in arid zone field soils amended with sewage sludge: I. Fractionation of Ni, Cu, Zn, Cd, and Pb in solid phases. Soil Sci Soc Am J 1982;46:260-264 https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1982.03615995004600020009x
- Tessier A, Campbell PGC, Bison M. Sequential extraction procedure for the speciation of particulate trace metals. Anal Chem 1979;51:844-851 https://doi.org/10.1021/ac50043a017
- Toor GS, Haggard BE, Donoghue AM. Water extractable trace elements in poultry litters and granulated products. Journal of Applied Poultry Research 2007;16(3)351-360 https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/16.3.351
- Tucker MR. Experiences with metal toxicities in North Carolina. 97-100 in Proc. Soil Sci Soc Soil Sci Soc of North Carolina, Raleigh. 1997.
- Wang H, Dong Y, Yang Y, Toor GS, Zhang X. Changes in heavy metal contents in animal feeds and manures in an intensive animal production region of china. Journal of Environmental Sciences 2013;25(12): 2435-2442 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(13)60473-8
- Warman PR, Muizelaar T, Termeer WC. Bioavailability of As, Cd, Cd, Cr, Hg, Mo, Ni, Pb, Se, and Zn from biosolids amended compost. Compost Sci and Util 1995;3(4):40-50 https://doi.org/10.1080/1065657X.1995.10701806
- Wei X, Gao B, Wang P, Zhou HD, Lu J. Pollution characteristics and health risk assessment of heavy metals in street dusts from different functional areas in Beijing, China. Environ Saf 2015;112:186-192 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2014.11.005
- Williams DE, Vlamis J, Pukite AH, Corey JE. Metal movement in sludge-treated soils after six years of sludge addition: 1. Cadmium, copper lead, and zinc. Soil Sci 1984;137:351-359 https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-198405000-00008
- Zorpas AA, Constantinides T, Vlyssides AG, Haralambous I, Loizidou M. Heavy metal uptake by natural zeolite and metals partitioning in sewage sludge compost. Bioresource Technology 2000;72:113-119 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(99)00110-8