- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Differences in the Direct Medical Expenditures among Physical Activity Levels of the Community Residents
지역주민의 신체활동 수준에 따른 직접 의료비 지출의 차이
- Received : 2016.05.11
- Accepted : 2016.06.02
- Published : 2016.06.30
The purpose of this study was to examine the differences in the direct medical expenditure of community residents according to their physical activity level. The quota sampling method was used to select samples from a youth community center, senior center, community cultural center, and community recreational sports center in G city in Gyeongbuk-do. Of the 773 questionnaires distributed, 716 were completed. The questionnaires consisted of the demographic characteristics, regular exercise and physical activity levels, health status and medical costs. While the beneficial effect of regular exercise and physical activity on dental costs was not (significant), its effect on the costs of visiting hospital services was (significant). The mean differences in the total monthly direct medical expenditures on outpatient services and medicine for those with very high, high, moderate, low, and very low levels of physical activity were 7,500, 26,299, 47,517, 9,314, and 9,9978 won, respectively. The result of this study supported the findings of previous studies that regular exercise and physical activity. are not associated with the reduction of medical expenditure.
Exercise;Physical activity level;Medical expenditure
- B. S. Park, "An effect of walking and muscular strength exercise on body composition, physical fitness and serum lipids in obese women", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 32, pp. 847-858, 2008.
- R. R. Pate, C. Chuck, B. Pangrazi, "Physical activity for young people", Washington, DC: The President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, 1998.
- R. Verschuur, H. C. Kemper, "Habitual physical activity", Medicine Sport Science, Vol. 20, pp. 56-65, 1985. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000411541 https://doi.org/10.1159/000411541
- S. N. Walker, K. R. Sechrist, N. J. Pender, "The health-promoting lifestyle profile: Development and psychometric characteristics", Nursing Research, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 76-81, 1987.
- Y. J. Yu, Y. A. Shin, "The response of energy expenditure muscle activity and fatigue on walking type", Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 767-777, 2008.
- E. Y, Kim, R. W. Park, W. Ham, J. W. Park, "Life pattern for health recognition and management of chronic diseases in the elderly", Journal of the Korea Academia-industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 11, No. 9, pp. 3366-3374, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.9.3366 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.9.3366
- K. B. Choi, K. H. Kim, Y. C. Cho, "Psychosocial distress and fatigue symptoms among firemen and its related factors", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 707-716, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.4.707 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.4.707
- H. J. Lee, "Health concept: A misunderstanding and understanding", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 113-120, 2006.
- E. J. Lim, J. H. Noh, "The factors related to health promoting behaviors of the late middle aged", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 4694-4702, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4694 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.10.4694
- C. Bouchard, "Physical activity and health: Introduction to the dose-response symposium", Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 347-350, 2001. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200106001-00002 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200106001-00002
- J. Kruger, H. W. Kohl, "Prevalence of regular physical activity among adults-United States 2001 and 2005", The Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 299, No. 1, pp. 30-32, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.299.1.30
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, "Dietary guidelines for Americans 2005", Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2005.
- J. P. Nicholl, P. Coleman, P. J. E. Brazier, "Health and healthcare costs and benefits of exercise", Pharmoeconomics, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 109-122, 1994. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2165/00019053-199405020-00005 https://doi.org/10.2165/00019053-199405020-00005
- M. Pratt, C. A. Macera, G. Wang, "Higher direct medical costs associated physical inactivity", The Physician and Sports Medicine, Vol. 28, No. 10, pp. 23-34, 2000. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3810/psm.2000.10.1237
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, "2013 sport white paper", Seoul: Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, 2014.
- Korea Sports Promotion Foundation, "Regular exercise and its economic effect", Available from http://www.mcst.go.kr/web/s_notice/notice/noticeView.js p?pSeq=3457. (accessed Oct., 5, 2014)
- V. P. Miller, C. Ernst, F. Collin, "Smoking-attributable medical acre costs in the US". Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 375-391, 1999. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(98)00344-X https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(98)00344-X
- G. C. Wang, A. Macera, B. Scudder-Soucie, T. Schmid, M. Pratt, D. A. Buchner, "A cost-benefit analysis of physical activity using bike/pedestrian trails", Health Promotion Practice, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 174-179, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1524839903260687 https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839903260687
- L. A. Hagberg, L. Lindholm, "Cost-effectiveness of healthcare-based interventions aimed at improving physical activity", Scandavian Journal of Public Health, Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 641-653, 2006. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14034940600627853 https://doi.org/10.1080/14034940600627853
- F. Wang, T. McDonald, L. J. Champagne, D. W. Edington, "Relationship of body mass index and physical activity to health care costs among employees", Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 46, pp. 428-436, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.jom.0000126022.25149.bf https://doi.org/10.1097/01.jom.0000126022.25149.bf
- G. Wang, M Pratt, C. A. Macera, Z. J. Zheng, G. Heath, "Physical activity, cardiovascular disease, and medical expenditures in U.S. adults", Annals of Behavioral Medicine, Vol. 28, pp. 88-94, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1207/s15324796abm2802_3 https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324796abm2802_3
- S. W. Kwon, "Korean lessons for health insurance", Seoul: Korea Development Institute, 1993.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, "Physical activity and health: a report of the Surgeon General", Atlanta, Georgia: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2015.
- M. H. Cho, B. J. Cho, "A case study of physical activity levels and medical expenditure of the Korean middle aged", South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education, and Recreation, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 35-44, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/sajrs.v33i2.69687
- J. W. Nam, M. H. Cho, K. B. Goo, "The perceived constraints, motivation, and physical activity levels of South Korean youth", South African Journal for Research in Sport, Physical Education, and Recreation, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 37-48, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4314/sajrs.v31i1.43791
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, "Korean national health accounts and total health expenditure in 2012", Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare, 2014.
- S. H. Woolf, "A closer look at the economic argument for disease prevention", Journal of America Medicine Applied, Vol. 301, No. 5, pp. 536-538, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.51 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.51
- I. Tsuji, K. Takahashi, Y. Nishino, T. Ohkubo, S. Kuriyama, Y. Watanabe, Y. Anzai, Y. Tsubono, S. Hisamichi, "Impact of walking upon medical care expenditure in Japan: the Ohsaki Cohort Study", International Journal of Epidemiology, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 809-814, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyg189 https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyg189
- E. Keuffel, "The effect of physical activity on short run medical costs and lost work days among US adults", Madison, WI: Inaugural Conference of the American Society of Health Economists, 2006.
- Y. R. Kim, "The relationship among the sports for all participation, health status, and medical expense of the elderly", Korean Journal of Sport Science, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 125-137, 2006.
- E. Y. Noh, S. J. Kim, "A study on the activation plans of sports for the elderly in Seoul", Seoul: Seoul Development Institute, 2009.
Supported by : 대구대학교